Review Card Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Review Card Box

Are these intended to replace the separate sets of flashcards for Astronomy, FMOG, and Christian Studies? Also how do you use them? I know Dorinda said in my other thread that she made a book for them. i would love more details on how to do this. Do the kids read over them everyday?
    The Homeschool Grads:
    J- 6/96
    S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
    G- 4/04
    D- 5/05
    F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
    M- 9/16

Re: Review Card Box

I'm confused as well. Are they to be done in place of morning Recitation? In addition to it?

(Admitting our failure to "do Flashcards" ... so while I'm here, some one can share how they check that box too)
    - Katherine

dd, 20
    dd, 17 :: Graduating HS Senior
    ds, 15 :: 8M, FFL with MPOA
    ds, 12 :: 6M, FFL with MPOA
    ds, 10 :: 4NU, LC with MPOA
    ds, 9 :: 3M with PL
    ds, 7 :: 1st
    ds, 5 :: Kindergarten
    dd, 3 :: Preschool
    dd, 01-02-2017 :: a constant reminder that "The Baby Is The Lesson"

Comment

Hello.

We never intended to even include the review boxes in the curriculum guide, but our teachers hauled them out and talked about them at a teacher training conference, and we had an onslaught of requests for them. So we added them. They really replace the recitation in our 3rd grade classrooms. This is our teachers' way of doing recitation. You really don't have to do the review boxes and the recitation. I will say though that the point of our weekly recitation is to show students what they know before beginning a day of new material and to solidify drill facts that we want them to retain. The review boxes go one step further because they include literature vocabulary, English grammar questions, etc. that students need to know for tests, so they are more structured with a specific purpose. But you can totally skip them and do just fine. Some people use them and love them, but not everybody does.

Tanya

Comment

We have always done Recitation daily in a "Review Box" fashion. I modeled ours after SCM's Scripture Memory Box. Our box includes CS Memory Verses, Recitation weeks, and EGR questions. I've shared photos on the FB group before, asking when/where to review poems, but I have never considered reviewing Literature vocabulary. But it seems like a second box with Poetry & Literature at Tea Time would work.

So ... to bring up my Flashcard question again ... if we are doing Recitation daily, are Flashcards necessary?

Thanks!
        - Katherine

dd, 20
        dd, 17 :: Graduating HS Senior
        ds, 15 :: 8M, FFL with MPOA
        ds, 12 :: 6M, FFL with MPOA
        ds, 10 :: 4NU, LC with MPOA
        ds, 9 :: 3M with PL
        ds, 7 :: 1st
        ds, 5 :: Kindergarten
        dd, 3 :: Preschool
        dd, 01-02-2017 :: a constant reminder that "The Baby Is The Lesson"

Comment

The flashcards are necessary, in my opinion. They are more thorough than the recitation, and they are a great way to start each subject's class - showing students what they know (or should know!). The flashcards represent all the information we want students to take away and retain from each class. I consider them to be core elements for each course. Now, you could do without the flashcards and just use the drill questions in the back of the study guides and accomplish the same thing. It's just a little more awkward to use than flashcards. But use those drill questions weekly - in flashcard format or list format - requiring your students to master them.

Tanya

Comment

For another way to go about it, my children do flashcards (or Quizlet) on their own - to study on a regular basis. Then I ask them either the recitation questions or the drill questions for the individual subjects as my review with them - to make sure they are following expectations and actually learning.

So the flashcards are their work, and the recitation/drill questions are the way I hold them accountable for that work.

This is true for our cottage school classes. Students do their flashcards at home during the week, and my way of knowing they are keeping up on them is to ask the drill questions during class review.

Make sense?
            AMDG,
            Sarah
            2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
            DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
            DS, 16
            DD, 14
            DD, 12
            DD, 10
            DD, 7.5
            DD, 5.5
            +DS+
            DS, 18 months

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
              Hello.

We never intended to even include the review boxes in the curriculum guide, but our teachers hauled them out and talked about them at a teacher training conference, and we had an onslaught of requests for them. So we added them. They really replace the recitation in our 3rd grade classrooms. This is our teachers' way of doing recitation. You really don't have to do the review boxes and the recitation. I will say though that the point of our weekly recitation is to show students what they know before beginning a day of new material and to solidify drill facts that we want them to retain. The review boxes go one step further because they include literature vocabulary, English grammar questions, etc. that students need to know for tests, so they are more structured with a specific purpose. But you can totally skip them and do just fine. Some people use them and love them, but not everybody does.

Tanya
              Thank you for this explanation, Tanya! This really helps- so if I understand correctly it is the flashcards that contain the essential elements in each subject, and the flashcards are the same as the drill questions that appear at the back of each guide. Focusing on these once per week, per subject is more important than trying to do the long mixed recitation at the back of the curriculum manual? Does this go for the grammar questions in the back of FF Latin too, although they are not scheduled in my guide? (these are hard for us to get to since they don't seem essential and there is no "box" for them) What I am taking away is that it is actually really important to check that "flashcards" box when you see it. This is a big help.
              Last edited by Girlnumber20; 04-28-2017, 08:43 AM.
              DD 12, using 6M core with 7th Grade COTR
              DS 10, using 5M core

Comment

That's right! You have summarized it really well. The Latin drill questions are also important. I sat in a 4th grade classroom at HLS last May and the kids did the entire grammar recitation from the back of the FFL workbook. It was impressive! They did it really fast and knew it cold! I'd say that's the ideal model.

Tanya

Comment

Working...
                X