New American Cursive 2 Evaluations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New American Cursive 2 Evaluations

So, my question is: when you are evaluating your children's Cursive, do you also evaluate their spelling in that grade or do you just acknowledge edits and only evaluate the actual cursive strokes?
    Margaret of GA, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife & Mama

Trekking along at a student self-pace...
    DD Summer 2009 · 7th
    DD Summer 2011 · SC
    DS Summer 2014 · 2nd
    DD Summer 2017 · Preschool/SC
    DS Autumn 2019 • Tot-preschool
    MP, Seton, Sonlight, Beau. Feet, Notgrass, IEW, Saxon

Memoria Scholé Academy 2011-2022
    Blog: Creative Madness Mama
    @ CherryBlossomMJ

Re: New American Cursive 2 Evaluations

Is anybody assigning grades for cursive? I always correct misspelled words in any subject. Or anywhere else that I may encounter them. When I see misspelled words on advertisements or signs, I take pictures and share them with my children. I once had a long-distance relationship in college where I edited the love letters and then relayed the errors back to my boyfriend. I'm a little bit CDO. It's like OCD, only alphabetical -- the way it should be.
    If a word is misspelled in cursive, I write the correct word next to it and point it out to them. If I see a word is misspelled more than once in a child's work (even if it is in two separate assignments), I will have them write it five times. Once could be an oversight. More than once is in danger of becoming a habit.
    Blessings,
    Jude

DD 20, DS 17, DS 14, DS 12, DD 10, DS 7, DS 5
    DD24
    DS21
    DS18
    DS16
    DD14
    DS11
    DD9

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5608.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	104019

Well I know I don't have to grade it. Usually my grading consists of a check mark. But there is a neat little evaluation line to fill in on the page.
      Margaret of GA, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife & Mama

Trekking along at a student self-pace...
      DD Summer 2009 · 7th
      DD Summer 2011 · SC
      DS Summer 2014 · 2nd
      DD Summer 2017 · Preschool/SC
      DS Autumn 2019 • Tot-preschool
      MP, Seton, Sonlight, Beau. Feet, Notgrass, IEW, Saxon

Memoria Scholé Academy 2011-2022
      Blog: Creative Madness Mama
      @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

Honestly, I have never written a single thing on that line. If a word is misspelled, I write the correct spelling right next to it or even over it. Every so often I watch them while they are writing in cursive to see if any errors are cropping up. If I am looking over a completed handwriting assignment and see something wrong, I will call that child over and show them how it is supposed to be. I don't have time to write out commentary, when it is so much easier to just demonstrate. Something that I might think is clear in a written explanation is likely to be misunderstood by a second grader. And I'm actually quite strict about handwriting. If I can't read their work, they will have to redo the assignment. Consequently, even my boys have beautiful cursive, including the one that was/is dysgraphic.
        Blessings,
        Jude

DD 20, DS 17, DS 14, DS 12, DD 10, DS 7, DD 5
        DD24
        DS21
        DS18
        DS16
        DD14
        DS11
        DD9

Comment

Since we've been doing a lot of school-on-the-road, I've been going over workbooks and tests, writing in grades, and discussing any issues orally. I'm not making as many notes as I used to because we're all sitting on top of one another while doing work/grading. *weary laugh*

With handwriting, I have been pointing out any minor things to my ds when we look over his NAC work, and during that talk I will point out any spelling errors (which isn't too often). Since he uses an erasable Frixion pen, he just goes back and corrects them. Because he's my "natural" speller, this is usually enough.
          He also has a mind like a steel trap - any little things I point out in his handwriting will be remembered and practiced...so the real answer to your original question is this:
          Yes, I point out/have him correct any spelling errors but no, I don't write anything on the evaluation line.

(Now I'm paranoid that I should! Is Mrs. Hatfield reading this?)
          Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
          DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
          DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Mary,

Iris will read it only if I forward her the post. How much is it worth to you for me not to hit "send"? Oh, right. You got me that really cool Green Ember t-shirt that I am afraid to wash in case his autograph wears off. Guess I won't bother Iris with this.

Tanya

Comment

I am ordering, as we speak, a "World''s Greatest Curriculum Director" mug. And a box of expensive chocolates.

My luck, though, they'll mistakenly be delivered to Paul. :-D
              Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

That does it. I'm forwarding to Iris.

Tanya

Comment

WHY?! Aren't you going to wait until the mug comes....wait a minute. You're not the curriculum director, are you?

*bangs head on keyboard, shakes fist at sky*
                  Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

I am the Curriculum Director, but I'm forwarding to Iris if Paul gets any of my stuff. His head is already swollen enough. (Actually, I'm just trying to keep this going so I can continue to enjoy your phone typos. I loved "a's."

Tanya

Comment

Tanya,

SEND, SEND, SEND, SEND, SEND.....

Bwahahahahaha! Just kidding, Mary. But I can't be the only subject of the wrath of Iris Hatfield.

Blessings,
                      Jude

DD24
                      DS21
                      DS18
                      DS16
                      DD14
                      DS11
                      DD9

Comment

I know! We'll have Iris sit on one side of Mary at Sodalitas and Cheryl on the other! That should keep her in line!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by SaintJude7 View Post
                          Tanya,

SEND, SEND, SEND, SEND, SEND.....

Bwahahahahaha! Just kidding, Mary. But I can't be the only subject of the wrath of Iris Hatfield.
                          Judging by your location, I think you live very close to me. I am going to tag your house with graffiti. Misspelled, grammatically incorrect, and illegible graffiti. *cue evil laughter*

Originally posted by tanya View Post
                          I know! We'll have Iris sit on one side of Mary at Sodalitas and Cheryl on the other! That should keep her in line!
                          I would laugh except I know that you would really do that to me. *quickly dials main office to find out about Sodalitas refund, begins making alternate plans for that week*
                          Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

I do indeed. I wouldn't be too hard to find. Ask around for the big Catholic homeschooling family with the polar bear-sized autistic 17 year old son and the statue of Mary in the front yard. Or just stake out Market Street, because I'm sure they are going to give me my own labeled parking space soon.
                            Blessings,
                            Jude

DD24
                            DS21
                            DS18
                            DS16
                            DD14
                            DS11
                            DD9

Comment

Working...