New to MP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to MP

I've been looking over the website and am interested in starting my soon-to-be first and second grade daughters in the full curriculum package. I have several questions, though. Lol

My older daughter is very smart (possibly advanced), but she has dysgraphia and mild dyslexia. There's no way she could read the 2nd grade books on her own, so would it be acceptable for me to read them to her? Or should I move down to a lower level? I don't want to bore her, but she probably does need reading practice. However, we've read a lot of good literature, including most of the first through third grade books.

Also, what all do I need to buy? I want to do everything:-) some things I could include both girls together, I'm sure. But which ones? And which level?
    DD 18 homeschool graduate 🎓
    DD 8 MP 3 at private school 3 days a week
    DD 7 MP 1 at private school 3 days a week
    DS 5 SC C and Myself and Others

Re: New to MP

You would want to combine them in one enrichment set. I would choose first grade. All of the enrichment sets are interchangeable meaning you could use any of them in whatever order you want. You would already have the schedule in the first grade guide.

Could she tandem read the grade 2 books with you? She reads a paragraph, you read a few paragraphs or even switching off at each page? Remember, that these books are designed to be read in a classroom setting with multiple kids taking turns reading.

Also, doing the literature guides along with the book changes things. So, even if she's heard the stories before, she will be challenged with thinking deeper and reflecting on them.
    DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
    DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
    DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

With the dyslexia and dysgraphia, I might be inclined to do Simply Classical 3 (which is supposed to be released in Julyish). My daughter (also going into 2nd grade), was tested as nearly gifted, but with some learning issues and we have found Simply Classical to be the perfect fit for her asynchronous learning. It will challenge her but continue to help her decode and build up the skills she needs improvement on!

What has your younger daughter done for phonics work? MP is an advanced curriculum and many new to MP users find they need to do some of the First Start reading phonics program before beginning 1st grade. It depends on what she has been using though.
      Christine

(2022/2023)
      DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
      DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
      DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

Originally posted by Vcoots View Post
        I've been looking over the website and am interested in starting my soon-to-be first and second grade daughters in the full curriculum package. I have several questions, though. Lol

My older daughter is very smart (possibly advanced), but she has dysgraphia and mild dyslexia. There's no way she could read the 2nd grade books on her own, so would it be acceptable for me to read them to her? Or should I move down to a lower level? I don't want to bore her, but she probably does need reading practice. However, we've read a lot of good literature, including most of the first through third grade books.

Also, what all do I need to buy? I want to do everything:-) some things I could include both girls together, I'm sure. But which ones? And which level?
        Waving at V! <3 Glad to see you here.

You might want to cross post this over in the Simply Classical forum as well --- Cheryl Swope visits there frequently, and can offer some advice/input.
        Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
        DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
        DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
        DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
        DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
        DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

I think her reading ability would drive your choice.

I think you would want to figure out which literature level your daughter could read independently with practice and then choose that level. Maybe take a look at Storytime Treasures and More Storytime Treasures to see where you think she might be comfortable. They are the 1st grade literature selections. They are designed for use in a classroom where the students take turns reading, so your daughters wouldn't be expected to read it all independently. Many moms alternate pages or paragraphs. Many students are one semester to one year behind grade level using MP since it is advanced. Which phonics concepts has she mastered? The K program is quite thorough - students cover short and long vowels (magic e and digraphs), r controlled vowels, sounds of c,g, and y, and introduce multi-syllabic words. As far as her already having heard the stories, that is okay.

Simply Classical could be a good fit also. It is lovely. I use parts of it with my oldest who also has dyslexia and dysgraphia. I combine my two oldest in most subjects in the first grade core (enrichment, cursive, copybook, Christian studies), even though he is technically a 3rd grader. He is not gifted but is a smart guy and doesn't seem bored.

With your children so close in age you have many choices. Definitely combine enrichment. You could also probably combine cursive and copybook if you wanted. Choose math, spelling, and literature at their level.

With your daughters dyslexia, you may want to hold off on starting Latin until she can successfully read all the first grade literature.

As far as purchases, many moms prefer to buy the read aloud sets if possible. The science/history sets are great, but not nearly as critical.
          Susan

2021-2022
          A (13) - Simply Classical 7/8
          C (12) - Simply Classical 7/8
          G (8) - Simply Classical 1

Comment

My older daughter has finished Logic of English Foundations levels A through C and is almost done with D. She could read the first grade books, but no way could she read Little House in the Big Woods! Is that what second graders can read?! She's way more behind than I thought. :-( I think I can work with her reading over the summer and she'll improve, I've just not made her practice much because it's like pulling teeth and there is so much other stuff that always needs done. But I know she can improve if we practice consistently.

And my younger, soon-to-be first grader can read Bob books very slowly. She loves to practice, but honestly she just doesn't seem to have a lot of the phonics rules clicking. She just turned 6 in March and I just don't feel she's developmentally ready to keep moving forward. Maybe working over past phonics lessons over the summer would help her.

I really hate to substitute too much because that's why I'm switching to MP, so I can have basically one teacher's manual and refer to each days lessons easily.

ETA: I know this may sound silly, but I don't think my husband will want her in a special needs curriculum. He hasn't even come to admit that she has dyslexia. :-/
            Last edited by Vcoots; 04-27-2017, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

The advice you've been given is good. You definitely need to know what phonetic gaps, if any, there are in his reading instruction. If he has mastered letter sounds with short vowels, can blend and read CVC words at a good pace, he is beyond FSR Books ABC. If he has consonant blends, h-consonant teams (diagraphs th,sh,ch,eh) and long vowel with magic e, and can read words with good speed and fluency, he is beyond FSR book D. If he has vowel teams, soft c and g and the three sounds of y mastered and can read beginner words with these sounds with good speed and fluency, he is beyond FSR Book E. A good starting place after this would be Story Time Treasures. The books are challenging. There is nothing wrong with starting here and moving at a pace that allows your child to build confidence and gain speed, fluency and expression.

When reading take the advice about reading in tandem. I would add don't neglect rereading that builds confidence.

You might consider working through the summer. Should you require phonetic readers you could use Moose Moments or the second 3 AMerican Language Series At the Farm, On the Trail and Sounds of the Sea.

Combining for enrichment is an excellent idea! I would also consider combining for Christian Studies requiring the youngest to listen, discuss and memorize verses.

Blessings,
              Michelle T

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
                Welcome!

The advice you've been given is good. You definitely need to know what phonetic gaps, if any, there are in his reading instruction. If he has mastered letter sounds with short vowels, can blend and read CVC words at a good pace, he is beyond FSR Books ABC. If he has consonant blends, h-consonant teams (diagraphs th,sh,ch,eh) and long vowel with magic e, and can read words with good speed and fluency, he is beyond FSR book D. If he has vowel teams, soft c and g and the three sounds of y mastered and can read beginner words with these sounds with good speed and fluency, he is beyond FSR Book E. A good starting place after this would be Story Time Treasures. The books are challenging. There is nothing wrong with starting here and moving at a pace that allows your child to build confidence and gain speed, fluency and expression.

When reading take the advice about reading in tandem. I would add don't neglect rereading that builds confidence.

You might consider working through the summer. Should you require phonetic readers you could use Moose Moments or the second 3 AMerican Language Series At the Farm, On the Trail and Sounds of the Sea.

Combining for enrichment is an excellent idea! I would also consider combining for Christian Studies requiring the youngest to listen, discuss and memorize verses.

Blessings,
                Michelle T
                All of the phonics rules you mentioned above, she understands and is able to read those words. It is speed that is the issue, I guess. It takes awhile and she is a perfectionist and wants to get every word right. Lol. So I can understand your recommendations, what is FSR?

Comment

ETA: I know this may sound silly, but I don't think my husband will want her in a special needs curriculum. He hasn't even come to admit that she has dyslexia. :-/
                  The "special needs" curriculum is titled "Simply Classical", just for this reason!! You, your daughter and your husband won't even really even know it is "special needs". It's truly beautiful! It's also designed with older students in mind so even though some items might be at a K/1/2 level, older students don't see it! Take a look at the samples from SC2, just for an idea! SC2 uses quite a few books from the 1st grade level..SC3 will use some from 2nd, but she is adding in American History, something you won't really see in the standard track laid out the same way.

SC3 really sounds like the perfect fit for her!

https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...culum-level-2/
                  Christine

(2022/2023)
                  DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
                  DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
                  DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
                  DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
                  DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
                  DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

For the six year old, I would think about beginning the kindergarten year as written.

Michelle T

Comment

FSR is First Start Reading. The learning to read programmof kindergarten. Sorry I usually explain the meaning but must have been typing fast and forgot! My apologies!

Blessings,
                      Michelle T

Comment

My older daughter has finished Logic of English Foundations levels A through C and is almost done with D. She could read the first grade books, but no way could she read Little House in the Big Woods! Is that what second graders can read?! She's way more behind than I thought. :-( I think I can work with her reading over the summer and she'll improve, I've just not made her practice much because it's like pulling teeth and there is so much other stuff that always needs done. But I know she can improve if we practice consistently.

And my younger, soon-to-be first grader can read Bob books very slowly. She loves to practice, but honestly she just doesn't seem to have a lot of the phonics rules clicking. She just turned 6 in March and I just don't feel she's developmentally ready to keep moving forward. Maybe working over past phonics lessons over the summer would help her.

I really hate to substitute too much because that's why I'm switching to MP, so I can have basically one teacher's manual and refer to each days lessons easily.

Well, it sounds like your oldest could be okay in second grade after practice reading over the summer. I'm pretty sure Little House is one of the later books in the second grade year, the books for each year do have a wide range in difficulty level. I understand reading practice feeling like pulling teeth -- my oldest can be like that -- we do short (5-10) minute sessions -- you could have her read the first grade selections maybe, reading them more than once is also great. That is done in the regular lesson plans, I was a bit worried my daughter would revolt, but she hasn't, she seems to enjoy it and it really does seem to help build speed and confidence.

K does sound like a good place for your youngest. Maybe going quickly through the first books in First Start Reading and then slowing down. Beginning first grade in MP does require a lot of reading skill. Or maybe starting over the summer and seeing where you end up? Purchasing just the phonics lesson plans for K is an option.

I completely understand not wanting to substitute much, those planners are wonderful! It feels so organized and coherent.

I also can understand your husband possibly being reluctant with a special needs curriculum. Coming to terms with extra needs can be a journey.
                        Susan

2021-2022
                        A (13) - Simply Classical 7/8
                        C (12) - Simply Classical 7/8
                        G (8) - Simply Classical 1

Comment

Working...
                        X