Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to present math flashcards? {i.e., a stupid question from a non-math Mom}

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    How to present math flashcards? {i.e., a stupid question from a non-math Mom}

    I started doing addition flashcards with my kids and instantly realized we have a problem: they're simply saying the next number in the sequence. I noticed that the back of the K Curriculum Manual groups the fact families by answer rather than by addends. Before I completely re-arrange our flashcards, is that method the best one to use or is there another approach I should consider?
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

    2022
    DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
    DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
    DS15: MP, MPOA
    DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
    DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
    DD10: SC3
    DD7: MPK

    #2
    Re: How to present math flashcards? {i.e., a stupid question from a non-math Mom}

    The facts should be introduced in families as grouped in the document. But when drilling them as flashcards, always mix them up. Otherwise they just say the next letter. Students practice writing them in order within the workbook pages and that is great! But flashcards should always be shuffled !

    Blessings,
    Michelle T

    Comment


      #3
      Re: How to present math flashcards? {i.e., a stupid question from a non-math Mom}

      I have mine in a box divided by family (the way that Rod & Staff does them). So for K/1st grade I have 10 sections for addition and 10 for subtraction. I just take the families that the TM calls for that day's lesson and I shuffle them up and go through them. It is a bit of a pain to store because then I have to sort them back out again, but I organize for the next days math lesson while my kids are doing their workbooks.
      Susan

      2021-2022
      A (13) - Simply Classical 7/8
      C (12) - Simply Classical 7/8
      G (8) - Simply Classical 1

      Comment


        #4
        Re: How to present math flashcards? {i.e., a stupid question from a non-math Mom}

        Originally posted by sfhargett View Post
        I have mine in a box divided by family (the way that Rod & Staff does them). So for K/1st grade I have 10 sections for addition and 10 for subtraction. I just take the families that the TM calls for that day's lesson and I shuffle them up and go through them. It is a bit of a pain to store because then I have to sort them back out again, but I organize for the next days math lesson while my kids are doing their workbooks.
        Thank you both! I'm introducing flashcards because they don't have rapid recall of their facts so it sounds like putting them in families is best for now and then transition to shuffling from there?
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

        2022
        DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
        DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
        DS15: MP, MPOA
        DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
        DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
        DD10: SC3
        DD7: MPK

        Comment


          #5
          Re: How to present math flashcards? {i.e., a stupid question from a non-math Mom}

          If you're not doing them strictly by how R&S suggests in each lesson, one suggestion I've heard on the forums is to start with the easiest families. Maybe 1-3 or 1-4, whatever is easy for your child, shuffle those up, flash them until mastered, and then add one more family. Continue that way until all the facts are mastered.

          R&S definitely does "fact families" different than most flash cards though. It can be super confusing. But is also makes sense - they memorize all the different ways they can combine to get a certain number or all the ways they can subtract from a certain number. It lines up with the triplets in 2nd grade.
          Susan

          2021-2022
          A (13) - Simply Classical 7/8
          C (12) - Simply Classical 7/8
          G (8) - Simply Classical 1

          Comment


            #6
            Re: How to present math flashcards? {i.e., a stupid question from a non-math Mom}

            Originally posted by sfhargett View Post
            If you're not doing them strictly by how R&S suggests in each lesson, one suggestion I've heard on the forums is to start with the easiest families. Maybe 1-3 or 1-4, whatever is easy for your child, shuffle those up, flash them until mastered, and then add one more family. Continue that way until all the facts are mastered.

            R&S definitely does "fact families" different than most flash cards though. It can be super confusing. But is also makes sense - they memorize all the different ways they can combine to get a certain number or all the ways they can subtract from a certain number. It lines up with the triplets in 2nd grade.

            Thank you! We will definitely do it this way. We haven't been using R&S for math but are switching to it next year for Math 2.
            Jennifer
            Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

            2022
            DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
            DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
            DS15: MP, MPOA
            DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
            DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
            DD10: SC3
            DD7: MPK

            Comment


              #7
              Re: How to present math flashcards? {i.e., a stupid question from a non-math Mom}

              Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
              Thank you! We will definitely do it this way. We haven't been using R&S for math but are switching to it next year for Math 2.
              You're welcome! Glad to help in a small way. If you go through addition and subtraction to 10 you'll be all set for math 2. The first workbook in math 2 reviews them also.
              Susan

              2021-2022
              A (13) - Simply Classical 7/8
              C (12) - Simply Classical 7/8
              G (8) - Simply Classical 1

              Comment

              Working...
              X