True happiness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True happiness

As our year is slowly winding down, and my children are coming to the end of more and more of their books, I am feeling a sense of peace, fulfillment, and a real joy that I have never once experienced on our chaotic and often very painful homeschool journey. We have Memoria Press to thank for this newfound gentleness, kindness, and purpose in our lives. I have put it in a post before, and I'll say it again. At the beginning of this year I made a conscious and committed choice to be totally obedient to this program, to the best of our ability. It was a sort of "experiment." A "Let's try obedience" experiment. I just said to myself and my children that we would do what was written in those little boxes, and check them off every day, no matter what- and see what happens. If we fell behind we would catch up to where we "should" be. Yes to "should." If the day went late, or stuff came up, we would finish late- even if it ended up being at night. If the assignment seemed extra, or too much, or unimportant- we would do it, to the best of our ability. Obedience. It was what we, personally and very badly needed, since I am a mom with a strong temptation to acedia. This would not be what everyone should necessarily do in their individual circumstances. But what has happened is this:

1. My children (and I!) are developing a very strong work ethic.
    2. They know exactly what needs to be done, every day, no questions asked, no angsty and fatiguing or distressing decision making.
    3. They are learning- Latin, History, Mathematics, Science, Grammar, Literature, Writing, Spelling, Bible, Poetry, etc. - all of the things I wanted them to learn. Oh yes, they have improved- in every single area. Even spelling and math which I was very doubtful about. Huge spelling improvement for kids who previously could not spell. Big improvement in math.
    4. We have many moments of sheer delight. Delight with workbooks! My kids are officially Latin geeks, which I love. They draw little cartoons and make Latin jokes that only insiders would "get." This is fun. We laugh and wonder at the things they are learning. My son has developed a deep interest in Astronomy and has asked "Is it ok if I still read my textbook when we are finished it?"

I could go on. There is much more. But the biggest gift is this:

5. Development of virtue through the process of working every day on obedience to a long-term plan. Teachers and friends have commented on the positive change in my children. My husband has commented on, and rejoiced in the positive change in his children.

My son recited for me today "How goodly are your tents, O Jacob, and your Tabernacles, O Israel!...There shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Scepter shall rise out of Israel..." When he finished, he had tears in his eyes, and told me "How beautiful that verse is, Mom."

So this is a manifesto expressing gratitude! I guess I don't have much more to say... except thank you.

Maria
    Last edited by Girlnumber20; 04-21-2017, 06:15 PM. Reason: clarity
    DD 12, using 6M core with 7th Grade COTR
    DS 10, using 5M core

Re: True happiness

Originally posted by Maria2 View Post
    As our year is slowly winding down, and my children are coming to the end of more and more of their books, I am feeling a sense of peace, fulfillment, and a real joy that I have never once experienced on our chaotic and often very painful homeschool journey. We have Memoria Press to thank for this newfound gentleness, kindness, and purpose in our lives. I have put it in a post before, and I'll say it again. At the beginning of this year I made a conscious and committed choice to be totally obedient to this program, to the best of our ability. It was a sort of "experiment." A "Let's try obedience" experiment. I just said to myself and my children that we would do what was written in those little boxes, and check them off every day, no matter what- and see what happens. If we fell behind we would catch up to where we "should" be. Yes to "should." If the day went late, or stuff came up, we would finish late- even if it ended up being at night. If the assignment seemed extra, or too much, or unimportant- we would do it, to the best of our ability. Obedience. It was what we, personally and very badly needed, since I am a mom with a strong temptation to acedia. This would not be what everyone should necessarily do in their individual circumstances. But what has happened is this:

1. My children (and I!) are developing a very strong work ethic.
    2. They know exactly what needs to be done, every day, no questions asked, no angsty and fatiguing or distressing decision making.
    3. They are learning- Latin, History, Mathematics, Science, Grammar, Literature, Writing, Spelling, Bible, Poetry, etc. - all of the things I wanted them to learn. Oh yes, they have improved- in every single area. Even spelling and math which I was very doubtful about. Huge spelling improvement for kids who previously could not spell. Big improvement in math.
    4. We have many moments of sheer delight. Delight with workbooks! My kids are officially Latin geeks, which I love. They draw little cartoons and make Latin jokes that only insiders would "get." This is fun. We laugh and wonder at the things they are learning. My son has developed a deep interest in Astronomy and has asked "Is it ok if I still read my textbook when we are finished it?"

I could go on. There is much more. But the biggest gift is this:

5. Development of virtue through the process of working every day on obedience to a long-term plan. Teachers and friends have commented on the positive change in my children. My husband has commented on, and rejoiced in the positive change in his children.

My son recited for me today "How goodly are your tents, O Jacob, and your Tabernacles, O Israel!...There shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Scepter shall rise out of Israel..." When he finished, he had tears in his eyes, and told me "How beautiful that verse is, Mom."

So this is a manifesto expressing gratitude! I guess I don't have much more to say... except thank you.

Maria
    Nothing profound to add, but just to say, how beautiful!
    DD #1 : 23, college GRADUATE
    DD #2 : 12 MP 7A - HLS Cottage School Louisville, MPOA
    DS #3 : 10, MP3M+Simply Classical4; HLS Cottage School Louisville
    DS #4 : 10, MP3M+Simply Classical4; HLS Cottage School Louisville
    DD #5: 6, MP 1 at HLS
    DS #6: 4, cutest caboose on the loose
    http://www.thekennedyadventures.com

Comment

This is so beautiful. I am so happy, grateful, and relieved for you!
      AMDG,
      Sarah
      2018-2019
      DD 17 - 12th || DS 15 - 10th || DD 13 - 8th || DD 11 - 6th || DD 9 - 4th
      DD 7 - 1st || DD 5 - mix of 1st & JrK || +DS, 2-21-16+ || DS 11 months (and walking!)

Comment

That was so encouraging! I'm copying you!
        The Homeschool Grads:
        J- 6/96
        S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
        G- 4/04
        D- 5/05
        F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
        M- 9/16

Comment

I know this is old; I was just perusing the forum (ie gaining confidence in thinking that this is what we need) and this post totally struck home for me. If I decide to do MP next school year, then I too need to take a promise of "obedience" to it since I am a chronic curriculum hopper.

Thanks for the encouragement!
          DD1: elements of CC 2 to prep us for third grade in the fall!
          DD2: Jr. K
          DS 1: preschool bibliophile
          Me: Coastie wife who misses Alaska, follows the Autoimmune Protocol, and prays for hope amidst the rush the life

Comment

Oh, thank you for bringing it back up. It was so fun to read again - especially since I did not notice the time/date stamp and thought this was current! Was feeling so happy for Maria!

Maria, you got extra prayers tonight anyway! 🤣 🤦🏽*♀️
            AMDG,
            Sarah
            2018-2019
            DD 17 - 12th || DS 15 - 10th || DD 13 - 8th || DD 11 - 6th || DD 9 - 4th
            DD 7 - 1st || DD 5 - mix of 1st & JrK || +DS, 2-21-16+ || DS 11 months (and walking!)

Comment

Working...
            X