Reviewing FFL and confusing myself!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reviewing FFL and confusing myself!

Please just reassure me as my brain shut down today. Reviewing for class on Friday and the rule: A verb agrees with its subject in person and number.
    I believe I understand it but could someone put intelligible language to it for me since nouns don't have "persons"?
    -Amy

Nine babies, 6 graduated, 5 married, 17 grand babies 7 and under!
    2020/21 MP 3rd, 6th, 11th MPOA, College student. Starting 8th year using Memoria Press
    Director of Coop 412, a Classical Christian Coop using MP and based on Ephesians 4:12.

Re: Reviewing FFL and confusing myself!

I'lll take a stab at it!

The personal ending to the verb shows the "person"...1st, 2nd or 3rd. So:
    Mary walks
    Maria ambulat
    as Mary can be represented by the pronoun "she" which is 3rd person, the verb must contain the "t" personal pronoun ending.

I hope that makes sense! 😃
    Tracy
    My boys: JR, Riley, and Jack
    MP 8A, 7A, and MP2

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie View Post
      Please just reassure me as my brain shut down today. Reviewing for class on Friday and the rule: A verb agrees with its subject in person and number.
      I believe I understand it but could someone put intelligible language to it for me since nouns don't have "persons"?
      A noun subject, such as Mary or friends or cat, is really replacing a "he, she, it" or a "they." We're talking about someone else, and so the verb will be in the 3rd person.

Does that help, or just confuse more?

Comment

They are referring to First, Second and third person. So if I want to say, "I love" I must match my verb in person (the first person for .I) and number (singular) so it would be "amo". But if I wanted to say "The queens love" I would use third person (for the person spoken about- queens) plural. So it would be "reginae amant."
        The verb congugations are learned in a chart organized by person in rows (first, second, third) and number in the column (singular, plural).
        Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
        DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
        DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
        DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
        (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
        DS, 21, Physics and math major
        DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
        DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
        DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Thank you all! I knew that is what it must mean but needed help articulating it!
          -Amy

Nine babies, 6 graduated, 5 married, 17 grand babies 7 and under!
          2020/21 MP 3rd, 6th, 11th MPOA, College student. Starting 8th year using Memoria Press
          Director of Coop 412, a Classical Christian Coop using MP and based on Ephesians 4:12.

Comment

Working...
          X