Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Math Trouble

Fantastic!

Heather, I am so going to tell my husband you called me "a very knowledgeable mom on the MP forum". I may have to catch his eyeballs as they roll out of his head, but it will be worth it.

Jen
    DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

What you said about the facts being so random rang a bell. My kids found them very random. It has been somewhat of a lifelong struggle.
      I'll tell you what helped to combat the seeming randomness of the numbers in their brains- it was teaching the facts not as cards until later, as drill. But when first memorizing them, as skip counting, and then memorizing where the particular fact falls in the skip counting sequence. It is drill, and memory work, and there is a very systematic method to teaching it this way that finally helped my son start to memorize the facts (and we are still working through them) it might help you too. My son was finally able to understand how to memorize them, before they seemed unrelated to anything in his mind, there was no "peg" to hang any individual fact upon. So I have to create "pegs" in his brain for each set. For us it takes about half an hour over the course of two days to teach one set- after that it should be just drill. This is what is allowing us to finally use flashcards as drill. It will probably go faster for you, since my son seems to really struggle with this.

I will try to find the video but in the meantime let me know if you want this alternate method explained, and I will post it- even if I can't find the video again! It is very easy to teach it, but I don't want to overwhelm you with too many options, since you got such terrific input already.

Maria

Comment

Heather, thanks so much for bringing this up. I am learning so much from this thread!

Jen, I'm especially grateful for your 2-second drill idea AND the veggie-free dinner as a reward. Brilliant!!!
        Ana, mama to
        ds A, 15 yo
        ds N, 10 yo

Comment

Originally posted by serendipitous journey View Post
          Heather, thanks so much for bringing this up. I am learning so much from this thread!

Jen, I'm especially grateful for your 2-second drill idea AND the veggie-free dinner as a reward. Brilliant!!!
          I'm glad others can benefit from the question and fantastic answers. I was a little afraid mine was a rare child . . .
          Heather

DD 9, MP 4A
          DD 6, MP 2
          DS 4 & DS 4--going to Pre-K three mornings/week
          DS 1

Comment

Originally posted by Maria2 View Post
            What you said about the facts being so random rang a bell. My kids found them very random. It has been somewhat of a lifelong struggle.
            I'll tell you what helped to combat the seeming randomness of the numbers in their brains- it was teaching the facts not as cards until later, as drill. But when first memorizing them, as skip counting, and then memorizing where the particular fact falls in the skip counting sequence. It is drill, and memory work, and there is a very systematic method to teaching it this way that finally helped my son start to memorize the facts (and we are still working through them) it might help you too. My son was finally able to understand how to memorize them, before they seemed unrelated to anything in his mind, there was no "peg" to hang any individual fact upon. So I have to create "pegs" in his brain for each set. For us it takes about half an hour over the course of two days to teach one set- after that it should be just drill. This is what is allowing us to finally use flashcards as drill. It will probably go faster for you, since my son seems to really struggle with this.

I will try to find the video but in the meantime let me know if you want this alternate method explained, and I will post it- even if I can't find the video again! It is very easy to teach it, but I don't want to overwhelm you with too many options, since you got such terrific input already.

Maria
            YES!!! This is exactly what I meant. Some programs (not R&S) only drill facts as random facts. Each question (6x7) has an answer (42) which must be memorized with no context as to where the answer came from. This makes it very hard for many kids. Skip counting is an awesome way to see the patterns in the facts. When R&S teaches facts with the animal charts and chants the questions and answers it is basically skip counting with pictures. It is much easier to remember the facts when you can picture them as part of the pattern,
            Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
            DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
            DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
            DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
            (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
            DS, 21, Physics and math major
            DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
            DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
            DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

I found it! here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bpq3Mqbwv0&t=198s

Momgineer is right, and R and S does a great job of going over this same method with the "waves" thing. But this video helped me to make it even more explicit for my son who seems to need everything to be broken down and explained very systematically before he can remember anything. This method worked like a charm and helped my daughter too. I found it a good supplement to R and S.

Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Maria2 View Post
                I found it! here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bpq3Mqbwv0&t=198s

Momgineer is right, and R and S does a great job of going over this same method with the "waves" thing. But this video helped me to make it even more explicit for my son who seems to need everything to be broken down and explained very systematically before he can remember anything. This method worked like a charm and helped my daughter too. I found it a good supplement to R and S.

Maria
                Oh, thank you! I'll watch this tonight.
                Heather

DD 9, MP 4A
                DD 6, MP 2
                DS 4 & DS 4--going to Pre-K three mornings/week
                DS 1

Comment

Working...
                X