Core Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Core Questions

We purchased our cores (1, 3, and 6) in early September, but just started them. I have a few questions:

1. 1st Enrichment Music seems to have a book now, do I need to purchase this? We will be using K-2 Enrichment(s) in a rotating fashion for many, many years (like eight).

2. I've seen somewhere that All Things Fun & Facinating has new lesson plans. What is the difference, so I can make a decision on which ones I'd like to use?

3. I'm using Core 3 with both my boys that are 3rd and 4th grades (less than 14 months apart), we are in the middle of Prima Latina. I've considered speeding up, but then it occurred to me that we really have two years to finish PL and start -> finish LC. What would you do?

4. I'm using Core 6 with my 6th grader. He is using First Form instead of Second. Should he move more quickly, or should we just chalk it up to not getting to Core 12's Latin? He is already feeling behind because we have to use the double Classical Composition plans for two years.

5. How does everyone handle the Read Alouds when teaching more than one Core? I thought I'd have my 6th grader read his independently, and actually read aloud the 3rd graders'.

Last question, 6. These new manuals have Review Cards. Do we use those in place of Recitation, or another time during the day, or ???

I lied, 7. How important is teaching Timeline according to the different Core plans? We did this all together (chronologically) during Tea Time with our last Cores (made it through 13 events), and it seeemed to go well, and ensured I didn't just skip it. Thoughts?

Thank you SO much! I feel like we trudged and flubbed along in K, 2, and 5 ... I want to do better these next 33 weeks.
    - Katherine, Army wife

dd, 23 :: Homeschool Grad
    dd, 20 :: Homeschool Grad, University of Cincinnati
    ds, 18 :: Homeschool Senior -> USAF
    ds, 15 :: MP Greeks/Homer & Modern Biology
    dsS, 13, 12, 10 :: mostly Core 5
    ds, 8 + dd, 6 :: Core 1
    dd, 3 :: ABCs, 123s, crayons, playdough, + paint

Re: Core Questions

Great questions...here are a few answers to get you started in bold below...

Originally posted by readingmother View Post
    We purchased our cores (1, 3, and 6) in early September, but just started them. I have a few questions:

1. 1st Enrichment Music seems to have a book now, do I need to purchase this? We will be using K-2 Enrichment(s) in a rotating fashion for many, many years (like eight).

The little handbook is very nice to have, especially since you're going to be using it forever. Ha! It'd be a nice addition to your Tea Time you mention below. It just lists a little about the composer and piece. Saves you the time Googling and it is a great resource to hand directly to curious kids.

2. I've seen somewhere that All Things Fun & Facinating has new lesson plans. What is the difference, so I can make a decision on which ones I'd like to use?

The new plans have you do many fewer total lessons. I completely recommend it!

3. I'm using Core 3 with both my boys that are 3rd and 4th grades (less than 14 months apart), we are in the middle of Prima Latina. I've considered speeding up, but then it occurred to me that we really have two years to finish PL and start -> finish LC. What would you do?

You could do Prima in two lessons a week, then start LC whenever you get to it. You could also just shelve Prima and start Latina Christiana now at either a one lesson per week or one lesson per two weeks pace. Prima is not a pre-requisite for LC or First Form. It really depends on how much time you have to devote to Latin. It needs to be a daily subject, so if you only have a little time you can move more slowly. If you have plenty of time and they are good students, you can bump up a bit.

4. I'm using Core 6 with my 6th grader. He is using First Form instead of Second. Should he move more quickly, or should we just chalk it up to not getting to Core 12's Latin? He is already feeling behind because we have to use the double Classical Composition plans for two years.

First Form must be mastered. He can do two lessons in one week if there's a particularly easy one, but generally there is just enough information each new week that it should have a few days to be learned. The forms may be a repeat, but the vocab is new, or vice versa. First Form in 6th grade is most definitely not "behind!" You can assure him by telling him I taught it to 15 year olds this year in 10th grade and I didn't take it until I was 36. Ha! If he's feeling the pinch anyway, you can offer for him to go year-round with Latin. That will help him make up a few months over the first two years. Rest assured, he can get to three full years of Latin translation courses in high school if he stays right on pace where he is now. He'll have 6 shots at various levels of the National Latin Exam and can earn up to 5 medals. Slow and steady wins the race.

5. How does everyone handle the Read Alouds when teaching more than one Core? I thought I'd have my 6th grader read his independently, and actually read aloud the 3rd graders'.

Your plan is great. We listen to most of these on audio CD in the van. The kids read them on their own. The kids listen to them on their own. We use a great variety of methods to get these stories into our lives each year.

Last question, 6. These new manuals have Review Cards. Do we use those in place of Recitation, or another time during the day, or ???

They are amazing, and, totally optional. I haven't used them because we just stick with recitation.

I lied, 7. How important is teaching Timeline according to the different Core plans? We did this all together (chronologically) during Tea Time with our last Cores (made it through 13 events), and it seeemed to go well, and ensured I didn't just skip it. Thoughts?

Your plan sounds great. Ideally, they have the 60 dates down before venturing into older studies. We post our wall cards on the bedroom walls.

Thank you SO much! I feel like we trudged and flubbed along in K, 2, and 5 ... I want to do better these next 33 weeks.
    Any chance you can make it to Sodalitas this summer? Your questions are the exact thing we toss around and help each other out with.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
    DS 12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
    DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
    DD 7th • HLN & Home
    DS 4th • HLN & Home
    Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; Memoria College

Teaching TFL and co-directing @
    Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

For the Read Alouds I like the idea of book on tape!

Michelle T

Comment

Thank you, Ladies.

I think I'll get the music book, get the new 3rd Comp plans, stick with PL -> LC, and tackle FFL with my 6th grader at normal pace.

If we skip the premade review cards ... they'll still get the same review in Recitation, correct?

And I like the idea of audio books. We have them read so much in addition to school (maybe too much), a listening break would probably do us all good.

I can't make the Gathering this summer (nursing babe), but maybe next.
        - Katherine, Army wife

dd, 23 :: Homeschool Grad
        dd, 20 :: Homeschool Grad, University of Cincinnati
        ds, 18 :: Homeschool Senior -> USAF
        ds, 15 :: MP Greeks/Homer & Modern Biology
        dsS, 13, 12, 10 :: mostly Core 5
        ds, 8 + dd, 6 :: Core 1
        dd, 3 :: ABCs, 123s, crayons, playdough, + paint

Comment

Originally posted by readingmother View Post
          Thank you, Ladies.

I think I'll get the music book, get the new 3rd Comp plans, stick with PL -> LC, and tackle FFL with my 6th grader at normal pace.

If we skip the premade review cards ... they'll still get the same review in Recitation, correct?

And I like the idea of audio books. We have them read so much in addition to school (maybe too much), a listening break would probably do us all good.

I can't make the Gathering this summer (nursing babe), but maybe next.
          We really like some of the read alouds as audio books and I will also pull them to use as a whole family read aloud either after dinner or before bed. I just have a list of the read alouds and choose one I think will appeal to both kids. We just did Mary Poppins and they both loved it even though it was technically a read aloud for the oldest.
          ~Michelle

DD 13 (MP 8 - 4FL and Ref/Con through MPOA)
          DS 11 (MP 6 w/MPOA)
          DS 5 - MP K (My first Kindergartner with MP!!!)
          DD 2 - Board Books and Chaos

Comment

Working...
          X