Insects Set Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insects Set Questions

My 5th grader is studying insects this year and enjoying it! Every now and then there is a question in the guide that is not answered in the reader. It finally occurred to me today that we haven't used the Peterson Guide at all! Oops! Upon having this realization we pulled it out of the desk drawer it had disappeared into and found the answer we seeked. I looked over the lesson plan and don't see it assigned anywhere. I'm guessing we just use it as needed?

Is there flashcards for Insects? I know the guide has students make them, but just thought maybe MP had some already made.
    Joyfully, Courtney
    DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

Re: Insects Set Questions

Here's a fun set on Quizlet my friend Crystal made: https://quizlet.com/_28bwde
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
    DS 12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
    DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
    DD 7th • HLN & Home
    DS 4th • HLN & Home
    Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; Memoria College

Teaching TFL and co-directing @
    Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Hello- I noticed that too. I also noticed that the chapter reviews are not scheduled. Maybe that will be at the end of the year, I haven't looked yet. I think they are going to be revising the 5th grade manual to account for these types of things. Thread here:https://forum.memoriapress.com/showt...6143#post56143

Comment

Our intention is that all answers should be in the Insects reader, so if there are questions not answered there, we would like to know! That is an oversight on our part and something we will want to correct.

Thanks to anyone who will take the time to send us that list!

Tanya

Comment

From a post on Facebook awhile ago: "In Book of Insects on page 36, question #5 asks: "What is the American name for the fly that the British people call "daddy-longlegs"?" The teacher's guide says the answer is "crane fly", however, nowhere in the reading does it say that. It does say that farmers call them "leather jackets". Would this not be the correct answer?"
          Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
          DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
          DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
          DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
          (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
          DS, 21, Physics and math major
          DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
          DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
          DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
            Our intention is that all answers should be in the Insects reader, so if there are questions not answered there, we would like to know! That is an oversight on our part and something we will want to correct.

Thanks to anyone who will take the time to send us that list!

Tanya
            Tanya,

My son was working on lesson 22 yesterday. Question 5 is what tripped him up.
            "Monarch butterflies like the milkweed plant. What colors are they?"

On page 136 of the reader there is a sentence that states orange and black butterflies hover above milkweed. I think he was searching for the name Monarch to be used instead of searching for the reference to milkweed. The answer to that question is in the reader. I should have searched more thoroughly before posting, my apologies.

I am still unclear of how the Peterson guide is used. Can anyone speak to that?

Are insect flashcards on the to-do list? <3
            Joyfully, Courtney
            DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

Comment

Originally posted by Maria2 View Post
              Hello- I noticed that too. I also noticed that the chapter reviews are not scheduled. Maybe that will be at the end of the year, I haven't looked yet. I think they are going to be revising the 5th grade manual to account for these types of things. Thread here:https://forum.memoriapress.com/showt...6143#post56143
              Thank you. I hadn't seen that thread.
              Joyfully, Courtney
              DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                Here's a fun set on Quizlet my friend Crystal made: https://quizlet.com/_28bwde
                Thanks for the link.
                Joyfully, Courtney
                DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

Comment

Originally posted by momgineer View Post
                  From a post on Facebook awhile ago: "In Book of Insects on page 36, question #5 asks: "What is the American name for the fly that the British people call "daddy-longlegs"?" The teacher's guide says the answer is "crane fly", however, nowhere in the reading does it say that. It does say that farmers call them "leather jackets". Would this not be the correct answer?"
                  They typo there is actually in the question! It should be "What is the farmers' name for the grub of the fly called 'daddy-longlegs'?" and the answer should be "leather jacket"

Originally posted by RunnerJoy View Post
                  Tanya,

My son was working on lesson 22 yesterday. Question 5 is what tripped him up.
                  "Monarch butterflies like the milkweed plant. What colors are they?"

On page 136 of the reader there is a sentence that states orange and black butterflies hover above milkweed. I think he was searching for the name Monarch to be used instead of searching for the reference to milkweed. The answer to that question is in the reader. I should have searched more thoroughly before posting, my apologies.
                  No problem. We'll add the word "Monarch" to the Reader to make that question easier.

Comment

Originally posted by RunnerJoy View Post
                    I am still unclear of how the Peterson guide is used. Can anyone speak to that?
                    We really want students to go outside, look for, and identify whatever insects live in their area. The Peterson guide helps them to do that. It is not required to answer any of the questions in the Student Guide.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      We really want students to go outside, look for, and identify whatever insects live in their area. The Peterson guide helps them to do that. It is not required to answer any of the questions in the Student Guide.
                      Taking photos and figuring out which "bugs" you've found by researching them is a great highlight to this study. For any who Instagram, you can follow or contribute to this tag: #memoriapressinsects

There is most recently a snail tagged, but not by an MP'er. Faults of crowd-sourced Instagram, what can I say?
                      Festina lentē,
                      Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
                      DS 12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
                      DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
                      DD 7th • HLN & Home
                      DS 4th • HLN & Home
                      Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; Memoria College

Teaching TFL and co-directing @
                      Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Working...
                      X