Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideas for K to K bridge (yep, you read that right!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maggie
    replied
    Re: Ideas for K to K bridge (yep, you read that right!)

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
    Festina lentē. (Make haste, slowly.)
    (Which, by the way, I'm about to add to my signature. I can't say it enough these days.)
    I may copy you. In fact maybe we will name our school this .

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied

Originally posted by Maggie View Post
    Realizing I don't want him too young when 3rd grade hits, especially with our coop using 3A not 3M at this point.
    This is exactly my situation with our cottage school. He'll go from 2nd to 3A, so there's no rush to get there early! Iliad/Odyssey/Fourth Form Latin/Pe-Algebra/First Form Greek in seventh grade is quite early enough, thank you very much. Ha! It really, really helps to take the long view and remember that every family is working with certain circumstances that aren't applicable across the board. For us, the weekly accountability is one of the biggest bonuses for the older kids. It can also be a disadvantage for the littles if they get to a spot where slowing down can be best. Classes move on, but we homeschoolers aren't used to that. We are making a big deal about slowing down when necessary and repeating courses as needed. Since I can't really stretch it from now until January, say, we are going for a full-on repeat. I am not sure he's even going to notice!

Festina lentē. (Make haste, slowly.)
    (Which, by the way, I'm about to add to my signature. I can't say it enough these days.)
    Last edited by pickandgrin; 04-19-2017, 11:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied

A few more suggestions:

We had to go back through books A-C with my oldest last year at this time! I knew she would baulk at re-doing the work books, so we improvised! We did use the SC1 plans. However, we did not do every little thing. The firsts 10 weeks or so of the SC1 plans are chalked with various activities for you to try to see what works for your child. After that, I believe it says "select one of the activities from week 1-10).

1) write all the words from book A (or B or C, etc) on index cards. Select as many as you think your child could handle and lay them on the floor. You call out a word and have your child jump to it.

2) word ladders - draw a ladder. Write the word cat on the bottom "rung". Then have your child change one letter to make a new word on the next rung up - cat - cap - map - mat - etc. You could choose to only stick with a particular word family, or use the example provided here.

3) photocopy one of the word lists from Classical phonics and take some of these suggestions from AAR. https://blog.allaboutlearningpress.c...actice-sheets/ (I especially liked cutting them out in strips and driving a car over the words read...... You could also write some of the words from classical phonics on a board, so he doesn't end up memorizing the words!

4) word family flippers. You take a notecard and write "at" and then cut up other notecards and staple them to the left of the word "at". You could also use a bigger piece of paper and have your child draw a picture on the right.

5) Make word family dice. Roll the words and then write them.

I like "this reading mama" for some other extra practice, but you can go crazy over there too!

SC1 plans do call for you to read Phonics A to Z and I found it really helpful! A little lightbulb went on in my head after reading it, totally making FSR make sense to me! LOL

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied

Thanks, all!

Leave a comment:

• Maggie
    replied

Originally posted by CherryBlossomMJ View Post
    What about the other Rod & Staff Preschool books?
    What Sarah said. They have A-L books and we had a few that were actually included with the complete core of Preschool, JrK's and K (maybe) that we hadn't really used up until this year. Then I will add a few more from our local Mardel.

Leave a comment:

• KF2000
    replied

We keep busy by doing the Rod and Staff A-L books, too. Lots of coloring, cutting, and pasting which keep her busy while I am helping her older sister. And the toddler has the younger Rod and Staff books so she can cut, glue, and color in a "safe" place too - just because she has to be included! The books are a hot mess now, but she has had fun!

(The JrK and Preschool curriculum is great for sit down time together - theses are things we add for table time because their playmates are still doing school.)

AMDG,
    Sarah

Leave a comment:

• CherryBlossomMJ
    replied

What about the other Rod & Staff Preschool books?

Leave a comment:

• Maggie
    replied

This isn't really answering your question but I did the same thing with my December son this year and wanted to share the positives and my plan. I stopped at about week 22 and now just let him slowly move in a couple of books and readers as the desire hits or I think he needs to. Realizing I don't want him too young when 3rd grade hits, especially with our coop using 3A not 3M at this point. So my new advice for parents with either zealous kids or that are zealous themselves to get started is to start K and have fun moving as slow as you want. I think hearing how Sarah teaches her kids to read but not go through the curriculum caught my eye. It's been so fun letting him learn to read but not having the pressure to get through all the lessons. I've enjoyed adding in some of the Rod and Staff workbooks to stretch it out and slow him down. There is such a variety in those books of building up motor skills, cutting, ordering, color by number.... so next year I plan to do a little review, then start where we left off adding in more R & S extra books, then finishing with the summer bridge as part of the school year. He is getting to learn without losing the joy and carefreeness of his age before more intense school is required.

Leave a comment:

• Colomama
    replied

They're all on the same page as all of the other downloadable lesson plans for the Classic Core, just scroll all the way down to the Simply Classical section

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied

Thanks, Susan!

Leave a comment:

• sfhargett
    replied

You could get just the SC 1 phonics plans or the phonics and the math plans. The activities are suggested throughout the daily plans.

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied

Originally posted by Colomama View Post

SC1 covers very similar topics to MP K. It adds more hands-on and kinesthetic activities. You could add some of them either this summer or next year so it doesn't feel like an absolute repeat to the little guy.
    Where would I find these, the SC1 lesson plans? Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Colomama
    replied

You could also add the math read alouds from SC1, just for fun.

SC1 covers very similar topics to MP K. It adds more hands-on and kinesthetic activities. You could add some of them either this summer or next year so it doesn't feel like an absolute repeat to the little guy.

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
    Jessica,

If he is struggling with fluency, rather than Moose Moments, which I would recommend for an older student who needed a variety of decoding practice, I would suggest the American Language Series. Fun in the Sun, Scamp and Tramp and Soft and White those contain plenty of little stories not scheduled in the curriculum. But, if he has already completed those, At the Farm and On the Trail the next two in the series would be good. The stories are shorter with fewer 'surprise' sounds in the stories.

Blessings,
    Michelle T
    Good to know! We are in S&T/S&W now and they do require a lot of sounding out. Maybe I'll stash Moose Moments for next year when the ALS books are completed.

Leave a comment:

• Michelle T
    replied

Jessica,

If he is struggling with fluency, rather than Moose Moments, which I would recommend for an older student who needed a variety of decoding practice, I would suggest the American Language Series. Fun in the Sun, Scamp and Tramp and Soft and White those contain plenty of little stories not scheduled in the curriculum. But, if he has already completed those, At the Farm and On the Trail the next two in the series would be good. The stories are shorter with fewer 'surprise' sounds in the stories.

Blessings,
    Michelle T

Leave a comment:

Working...
X