Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideas for K to K bridge (yep, you read that right!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ideas for K to K bridge (yep, you read that right!)

A few more suggestions:

We had to go back through books A-C with my oldest last year at this time! I knew she would baulk at re-doing the work books, so we improvised! We did use the SC1 plans. However, we did not do every little thing. The firsts 10 weeks or so of the SC1 plans are chalked with various activities for you to try to see what works for your child. After that, I believe it says "select one of the activities from week 1-10).

1) write all the words from book A (or B or C, etc) on index cards. Select as many as you think your child could handle and lay them on the floor. You call out a word and have your child jump to it.

2) word ladders - draw a ladder. Write the word cat on the bottom "rung". Then have your child change one letter to make a new word on the next rung up - cat - cap - map - mat - etc. You could choose to only stick with a particular word family, or use the example provided here.

3) photocopy one of the word lists from Classical phonics and take some of these suggestions from AAR. https://blog.allaboutlearningpress.c...actice-sheets/ (I especially liked cutting them out in strips and driving a car over the words read...... You could also write some of the words from classical phonics on a board, so he doesn't end up memorizing the words!

4) word family flippers. You take a notecard and write "at" and then cut up other notecards and staple them to the left of the word "at". You could also use a bigger piece of paper and have your child draw a picture on the right.

5) Make word family dice. Roll the words and then write them.

I like "this reading mama" for some other extra practice, but you can go crazy over there too!

SC1 plans do call for you to read Phonics A to Z and I found it really helpful! A little lightbulb went on in my head after reading it, totally making FSR make sense to me! LOL

Good luck!
    Christine

(2022/2023)
    DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
    DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie View Post
      Realizing I don't want him too young when 3rd grade hits, especially with our coop using 3A not 3M at this point.
      This is exactly my situation with our cottage school. He'll go from 2nd to 3A, so there's no rush to get there early! Iliad/Odyssey/Fourth Form Latin/Pe-Algebra/First Form Greek in seventh grade is quite early enough, thank you very much. Ha! It really, really helps to take the long view and remember that every family is working with certain circumstances that aren't applicable across the board. For us, the weekly accountability is one of the biggest bonuses for the older kids. It can also be a disadvantage for the littles if they get to a spot where slowing down can be best. Classes move on, but we homeschoolers aren't used to that. We are making a big deal about slowing down when necessary and repeating courses as needed. Since I can't really stretch it from now until January, say, we are going for a full-on repeat. I am not sure he's even going to notice!

Festina lentē. (Make haste, slowly.)
      (Which, by the way, I'm about to add to my signature. I can't say it enough these days.)
      Last edited by pickandgrin; 04-19-2017, 11:06 AM.
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
      DS 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE math/sci - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
      DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
      DD 7th • HLN & Home
      DS 4th • HLN & Home
      Me • Memoria College, this summer: MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching TFL and co-directing @
      Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
        Festina lentē. (Make haste, slowly.)
        (Which, by the way, I'm about to add to my signature. I can't say it enough these days.)
        I may copy you. In fact maybe we will name our school this .
        -Amy

Nine babies, 6 graduated, 5 married, 17 grand babies 7 and under!
        2020/21 MP 3rd, 6th, 11th MPOA, College student. Starting 8th year using Memoria Press
        Director of Coop 412, a Classical Christian Coop using MP and based on Ephesians 4:12.

Comment

Working...
        X