Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to MP--Advice on where to start

Hi Everyone,

We are new to memoria press, and I could use some advice on where to start my two oldest children. My oldest son is 10 years old (5th grade), and my middle daughter just turned 9 years old (4th grade). They are only 16 months apart, so very close in skill level. For that reason, I think I would like to combine them in as many subjects as possible to help simplify our day.

Both of my older children are dyslexic. They are both reading at a 4th and 3rd-grade level respectively. Both children have had a light introdution to Latin using SSL 1 and SSL 2. (Plus the first 20 lessons of Getting Started with Latin.)

Latin: I am considering combining them both in Latina Christiana. Does this sound reasonable? Or should I give First Form Latin a try?

Classical / Christian Studies: Should I start both in the 4th grade new users package since it seems to start the upper elementry programs from the beginning? (I would use a different spelling and math program for both.) OR should I use the Introduction to Classical Stuides guide? (It seems like the latter would a less expensive option since it combines the classical and christian studies into one workbook.)

English Grammar:
    I am worried that the Grammar 1 book will be below their level, but I feel like I need to start at the beginning so we don't miss any rules. They have already been through FLL 1-3 and Junior Analytical Grammar. Placement advice would be ver welcome in this subject.

Writing: Both kids have been through IEW SWI A and CAP's Fable book. Would it be possible to combine them both in writing? Or is this best to keep separate? Where should I place them?

Literature: I'm very undecided about this subject. I'm not sure where to place them and if we should do this subject together or combined.

Supplemental American Histories Reading: I have no idea what to do here. Should I separate the kids or combine here too? (Would it be more fun if they were both reading the same book? Or just complicate things because they would lose the book or both want to read it at the same time?) Should I start them on the 3rd grade American History books? (We own a lot of these already.) We also own the book "Ben and Me" (scheduled in 4th grade set), and I know my 9 year old is going to struggle to understand this book when reading independently. She could read it aloud if I helped her with some of the longer words, but I think she is skipping them when reading silently.

Math: Both kids are thriving with Singapore math, so we will stick with that at their individual levels.

Spelling: I will probably use All About Spelling at their individual levels. A spelling workbook wouldn't be very effectual for these kids.
    TheAttachedMama
    Last edited by TheAttachedMama; 04-17-2017, 12:52 PM.
    Cathy aka The Attached Mama
    2019-2020
    DS 12, 7th Grade
    DD 11, 6th Grade
    DS 5, K

Re: New to MP--Advice on where to start

Originally posted by TheAttachedMama View Post

Both of my older children are dyslexic. They are both reading at a 4th and 3rd-grade level respectively. Both children have had a light introdution to Latin using SSL 1 and SSL 2. (Plus the first 20 lessons of Getting Started with Latin.)
    Considering the dyslexia, I would consider posting this on the special needs forum as well. Cheryl Swope is excellent at placing children with different learning needs. If they are reading on a 3rd/4th grade level, I would think that 4th grade for new users would be an excellent start though. Although there may be a few areas that are "easy" for them, that is OK! In fact, it will help them build confidence while continuing to build on their weaker skills. Subbing math and spelling is not an issue.

The only thing about "combining". How do they do together? Does one try to outdo another? At this age we are working on building independence, but you will need to help them in the beginning. If one finishes before the other, will the other get mad? It doesn't mean you can't do some of the teaching together, but the assignments might need to be adjusted.

Also keep in mind that MP is an advanced curriculum. Another person was considering 4th for NU for her 6th grader, I believe. I googled the lexile scores of the books in 4th for NU and the were around 780-1040, which is a 6th grade lexile level.....so in the case of your dyslexics, you may consider the literature in the 3rd grade. Then, you can do grade specific math and spelling? Of course another option is 3rd grade accelerated which will give you the 4NU, basically with the 3rd grade literature selections.
    Christine

(2021/2022)
    DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
    DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
    DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

I would focus on getting their literature at their reading level. The other books included in classical studies or books like Greek Myths etc can be read by you or listened to via audiobook. They can follow along in their own reader, but listen to a smoothly read and properly pronounced version.
      DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
      DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
      DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
      Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
      Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

Thanks everyone for such helpful responses. I wasn't aware that the accelerated 3rd-grade option existed. That gives me another thing to consider. Thank you!

Both kids are going through another reading remediation program this summer called REWARDS. It is supposed to take 6 weeks, so I think I will finish that and retest their reading grade levels at the end of the summer and see what level they are reading at. I might even check out a few of the books from the library and have them read a page or two to see which seem like a good fit. That will help me decide which literature will best fit them. Thanks for the help!

Can someone help me place them in composition?
        Both kids did oral narration, copywork, and dictation in the early grammar years.
        This year (3rd and 4th grade) they both completed IEW SWI A. My oldest son also completed the CAP Fable book this year too. (My youngest did not.) Should I combine them both in composition? Or is it best to keep them at separate levels? Should I place them both in CC fable?

What about English Grammar?(They have little to no experience outlining.
        Both kids have been through FLL 1-3 and my oldest has also completed Junior Analytical Grammar. Should I still start them both in the English Grammar Recitation book 1?

Thanks again for all of the help!
        2019-2020
        DS 12, 7th Grade
        DD 11, 6th Grade
        DS 5, K

Comment

Your post is getting lost because the forum is quite busy today. Hopefully others will chime in, but your plan looks fairly similar to my own, so I will give my 2 cents. We use the majority of a core, but we substitute Singapore, AAS and JAG/AG - all things we started prior to MP and loved.

I know nothing about FLL, so I can't help much there. You could check out The English Grammar Recitation Handbook. It contains all the rules in all 5 levels. It might be a good way to cover the rules without having to start at the beginning, and it could help you determine where you need to start.

I am vaguely familiar with CAP. I would think the child who covered Fable could start at Narrative, but if you wanted to combine, start them both in Fable. Most people here don't seem to combine. I combine my younger two for everything except math, spelling, and grammar. At some point, that may cease to work for us, but for now it gives me more time to spend on each subject.
          DD 17 | 12th
          DS 15 | 9th
          DD 13 | 8th
          2021-2022

13th Year HSing, 9th Year MP

Comment

To address your two followup concerns:

1. English Grammar. You will be shocked to hear this, but MP's grammar has a large memorization component (think School house Rock the way we can all sing "Conjunction Junction" from being exposed to it over and over when we were kids), so even if your children seem to recognize many grammar concepts from prior programs, there will be no substitute for KNOWING the rules in the English Grammar Recitation series. Start both children at EGR I.

2. Composition. Again, even if you believe that your children will recognize much from the Fable Stage of CC, it's wisest to start them both there. Classical Composition will use its own terms and language, pacing and flow. The Fable stage is the best place to get the hang of it. On a bright note, given that you also are familiar with this level, you can probably get away with NOT purchasing the DVDs for the Fable level, saving money for the future when you might want them for later stages.

One thing that sets Memoria Press apart from (all) other curricula is this: it asks the student to KNOW what they know, not simply "recognize" facts from a text. Nearly all new home school parents miss this fact and assume that prior exposure will allow the child to slip right into the material. Once you get the hang of this, you will love it (!), but for now, my advice is to start at the beginning. You can always speed up later when you are seeing true mastery.

I say all this, because even with a decade of homeschooling experience with my older kids, I *still* made the same mistake with my Late in Life baby when I joined the MP family!

Good luck!

Jen
            DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

Wow, everyone has been so helpful and friendly on this forum. Thanks for such a warm welcome and for taking the time to answer my questions.

I will take your advice Jen (and everyone else) and start them from the beginning. What will that mean long term for my 5th grader? Will I have to work through the summer to catch him up? Try to complete fable and narrative before the start of 6th? OR Should I just keep him in as many of the same subjects as possible with his younger sister? Like I said, they are only 16 months apart, so it isn't a huge age difference. Plus, I will have our little guy starting kindergarten next year and his workload will progressively grow. (I can't combine much with him because the age gap is so wide.)
              2019-2020
              DS 12, 7th Grade
              DD 11, 6th Grade
              DS 5, K

Comment

I would keep them together if it works for you. My 5th grader will be doing Fable next year. He will probably do Narrative the following year, and then take Middle School Comp 2 online which covers two books in one year.

I wouldn't worry about trying to catch up to any schedule. Sarah is good about reminding us this isn't a race. Getting as far as you get on the journey is what it is about. Also, if you ever do look into the online academy, several of the core topics are covered in less time. When the children take the class with a knowledgeable teacher with the accountability of online classes they can cover more than we can at home. My oldest took Fable/Nar. online in 6th grade and is now taking the next two books in 7th.

HTH.
                Christina

Comment

Hey Christina!
                  Love seeing happyhappyjoyjoy pop up! It sounds from the other thread that you are loving being back in FL - yay! - But we miss you here!!!!

And I love Jessica's translation of "don't rush" into Latin....
                  Festina lente
                  (Make haste slowly)

Cheers!
                  AMDG,
                  Sarah
                  2020-2021
                  16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                  DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                  DS, 17
                  DD, 15
                  DD, 13
                  DD, 11
                  DD, 9
                  DD, 7
                  +DS+
                  DS, 2

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
                    Hey Christina!
                    Love seeing happyhappyjoyjoy pop up! It sounds from the other thread that you are loving being back in FL - yay! - But we miss you here!!!!

And I love Jessica's translation of "don't rush" into Latin....
                    Festina lente
                    (Make haste slowly)

Cheers!
                    AMDG,
                    Sarah
                    Thank you Sarah! In some ways its nice to be back; in other ways I sorely miss VA. A reminder to us all that our heart will always be restless until
                    our journey here is finished, eh?
                    Christina

Comment

Working...
                    X