Standards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standards

So my husband and I are having a parent - teacher conference soon. He has requested that I tell him where the kids are compared to "where they are supposed to be." I have to admit this is coming up because we use MP pieces but not the complete curriculum. I am content with what we are doing (MP language arts/Latin plus a different math and my own enrichment.) I also think that my kids are doing super well. Maybe all my gushing about them makes my husband think that the lady doth protest too much? Anyway, I tried to find some basic grade level standards (to make my darlings look good) but...my eyes glazed over with all the "child will be able to make inferences based on information based texts..." Is there anyplace to get some simple basics like "in Kindergarten most children learn to read short vowel words." Does MP or Highlands have anything basic about where students "should" be at each grade?

My kids are 8,6,5,2 so I am really only interested in third and first grade. The five year old is supposed to start school next year. Honestly, my husband is not much interested in the nitty-gritty of when a child learns to carry and sound out multi-syllable words, he is just worried that we will find out later that I wasn't covering everything that we should have been. I love homeschooling so much, so I don't want him to be perpetually worried that we don't measure up.

Lena

Re: Standards

William Bennet's book the Well Educated Child (pretty sure that is the title.) breaks down expectations for each subject within each level. It won't line up with Common Core though......

Most states list their expectations online. I am guessing from the language you referenced in your post that was where you looked already. They are almost impossible to decipher.

I will say students using MP full cores (students at HLS) score in the top 1% nationally. Sometimes it is comforting to have your child sit for a standardized test each year. It will show your areas of strength and those that could use work. I found them helpful. Of course I realized they never reflected the breadth of knowledge in my own children or in my students (my other children).

HTH,
    Michelle T

Comment

I have "what your child needs to know when" by Sampson. It lists, in checklist, expectations for each grade and each subject...according to the Bible and the state. It's in clear, understandable English. I've attached a picture of kindergarten language arts just so you get a feel for it.Click image for larger version

Name:	1488579397542-29771407.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	103997

I don't really use the Bible portion honestly. It lists character traits and verses to memorize. But the other lists are very useful. You will notice some things appear in multiple years to account for a range of grade in expected mastery.

The multiple columns of checkboxes are so you can use it with multiple kids.
      DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
      DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
      DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
      Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
      Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

Is there a Christian school nearby that would share their scope and sequence? Likely a Christian school will not use the gobbledy-gook of the state standards.
        Heather

DD 9, MP 4A
        DD 6, MP 2
        DS 4 & DS 4--going to Pre-K three mornings/week
        DS 1

Comment

Heather,

Have you looked at our school website (the Latin school.org)? If you click on the Academics tab, you can look grade by grade and subject by subject.

Tanya

Comment

Working...
          X