Tips for independent study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for independent study

Does anyone have a list of specific things to do when studying independently for a test -- especially in Latin?

We were slammed with work this week (a good thing!) but the deadlines kept me from being able to do reviews on Thursday before the kids' Friday tests. One did fine, the other two got a 79 and 75 (one LC, one FFL). I had instructed them to study before-hand and they review daily. I think they need a more in-depth approach than "read it three times daily/recite it out loud" (which works great for my other son), but I'm not sure what that would look like.
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
    DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
    DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
    DS11: SC 4
    DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
    DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
    DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Re: Tips for independent study

Jennifer,

Can you specify which sections gave them trouble? That will help with specific ideas. Some mistakes are more perilous than others.
    getting definitions correct?
    getting dictionary form correct (genders, esp.)?
    grammar forms/endings?
    translation?
    derivatives?

I'm including a handout for the First Form lesson I'm teaching on Monday. In addition to the MP plans, I do a bit of hand-holding with extra daily work to keep things fresh. See if this helps some...if not, I'm sure there will be other ideas. First Form Lesson 22 PDF.pdf One of my students, only a few years into MP, says that Latin is his favorite class because he knows *exactly* what to do to be successful. That is a great feeling, so I know we need to help brainstorm that same solution for your kiddos.

Oh, as always--Quizlet for First Form Latin: https://quizlet.com/pickandgrin/fold...rst-form-latin

HTH!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2020-2021
    11th year HSing · 9th year MP
    @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
    11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
      Jennifer,

Can you specify which sections gave them trouble? That will help with specific ideas. Some mistakes are more perilous than others.
      grammar forms/endings?
      translation?
      derivatives?

I'm including a handout for the First Form lesson I'm teaching on Monday. In addition to the MP plans, I do a bit of hand-holding with extra daily work to keep things fresh. See if this helps some...if not, I'm sure there will be other ideas. [ATTACH]589[/ATTACH] One of my students, only a few years into MP, says that Latin is his favorite class because he knows *exactly* what to do to be successful. That is a great feeling, so I know we need to help brainstorm that same solution for your kiddos.

Oh, as always--Quizlet for First Form Latin: https://quizlet.com/pickandgrin/fold...rst-form-latin

HTH!
      Can I be a student in your class?!? I love how you have all this written out and scheduled. Nothing gets missed. Including the CD (that we've only listened to maybe 3x this year). Thanks for the good idea!
      Katie

2020/21 7th year with MP
      DS 16: 11th, MPOA, HSC, Dual Enrolled
      DD 13: 9th, MPOA Diploma Program
      DD 9: mix of MP 5, Seton, HSC, MPOA Latin,
      Twin DD's 7: mix of MP 2, Seton

Comment

Katie,
        True confession...we've never used the cds well either but boy, do they make a difference! I put them on my phone. They take about 2 minutes. Surely we all have two minutes, right?

It's only taken me three trips through First Form to hammer this out. Talk about "festina lentē!"
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

2020-2021
        11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
          Jennifer,

grammar forms/endings?
          translation?
          derivatives?

I'm including a handout for the First Form lesson I'm teaching on Monday. In addition to the MP plans, I do a bit of hand-holding with extra daily work to keep things fresh. See if this helps some...if not, I'm sure there will be other ideas. [ATTACH]589[/ATTACH] One of my students, only a few years into MP, says that Latin is his favorite class because he knows *exactly* what to do to be successful. That is a great feeling, so I know we need to help brainstorm that same solution for your kiddos.

HTH!
          Awesome handout!

Let's see...trouble-spots...looking at their quizzes here:

Problems in FFL (13 yo boy - Lesson 19 Quiz): dictionary form, ordinal numbers, grammar, declensions, latin saying (conjugations and entry form of previous vocabulary are pretty solid)
          Problems in LC (10 yo boy - Test III): genitive endings (he forgot to include them on most lines and got them wrong on most of the others). Conjugations and most vocabulary words are solid.
          Jennifer
          Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
          DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
          DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
          DS11: SC 4
          DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
          DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
          DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

So how often do you recommend doing the CDs? We only listen once in a blue moon, mainly because my dc balk and I give in (weak mama that I am). Sounds like this is something we should be doing regularly...
            2018/2019
            Dd 12: MP 7A and First Form Greek
            Ds 10: MP 5M
            Ds 5: MP K

Comment

Originally posted by Angela View Post
              So how often do you recommend doing the CDs? We only listen once in a blue moon, mainly because my dc balk and I give in (weak mama that I am). Sounds like this is something we should be doing regularly...
              I'd suggest about three times per week, daily after the lesson, then oral drill on quiz day.
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

2020-2021
              11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Comment

Working...
              X