Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keeping things fresh for not-oldest kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping things fresh for not-oldest kids?

I'd love to hear how those of you with many children going through the cores year after year continue to keep things fresh for the kids that aren't "first" to the material. We love knowing what's coming next and having family familiarity with the content. The oldest gets everything first, though.

Here's an example: my oldest did Birds a few years back and the whole family learned to identify the birds. My second child just finished Medicine (she swapped them and went Medicine first, then Birds) and we are about to start Birds. One new thing we need to do is master the calls. We were not diligent with that on our first trip though. She's talked about making each one of the birds as we go through. I'm thinking something involving felt and stitching that will look like a Christmas ornament. She's definitely more crafty than her mom! Ha! (I am having blissful dreams about the aviary on our Christmas tree this year, but trying not to pressure her!)

This is just one small idea. Do you all have others?

I'm not talking about novelty for the sake of novelty or trying to make things "fun." I do want each student to have a fresh experience with the material. I want them to make the study their own. The more students that go through, the more creative I'm going to have to be!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2020-2021
    11th year HSing · 9th year MP
    @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
    11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Re: Keeping things fresh for not-oldest kids?

Just like with your dd's birds, I think letting a little serendipity guide you is ideal. I do this in my co-op classes, and the kids will let me know if they have ideas.

You could always keep a Pinterest or Google Keep list of ideas you come across, too.
    Bean. Long time MP user. I'm usually posting before my coffee is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

DD- 10th- AP & dual enrollment courses for 20-21.

Comment

Pinterest board to follow would be super cool. I will have a group of kids that took Prima as first graders who will take it again this fall more thoroughly. Would love to find ways for the teacher to enrich and add more to the experience for them. One thing I like about this "repeating" is the sweetness of margin, they will memorize and learn so quickly because of exposure and they get to enjoy their knowledge and stretch out in it a bit. I really love the bird ornament plan, wouldn't be quite as cute with insects . Wish I had a fabulous idea to add but nothing is coming at the moment.
      -Amy

Nine babies, 6 graduated, 5 married, 17 grand babies 7 and under!
      2020/21 MP 3rd, 6th, 11th MPOA, College student. Starting 8th year using Memoria Press
      Director of Coop 412, a Classical Christian Coop using MP and based on Ephesians 4:12.

Comment

Do you have a life-long bird list? The Audubon Society probably has a downloadable one. It's a way to keep a record of every bird they've personally observed. I live in an area with a Greater Sage Grouse population. People come all the way from Japan to mark it off their 'life list'. Us locals think that's a bit far to travel to see this critter dance around during mating season. Ha

Anyways, thought the life list might be something different. If she's artsy she could sketch the bird as well.
        Last edited by Colomama; 02-26-2017, 03:31 AM.
        Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
        DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
        DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
        Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
        Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Great idea! I had thought about painting as well. It definitely sounds like art needs to be included.

We have a family list of all the birds we've spied on our property, but I like the idea of individual lists.

Thank you!
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

2020-2021
          11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Comment

Oh I hear that youngest kids blues! It is so hard going through with #3 and #4 now to keep that same excitement. I know that saving money is always an important thing with big families but I know if there is a literature book that a kiddo is really excited to get to I do buy a new copy instead of handing down the tattered one several kids have been through before...being the youngest is hard, wearing everyone's old pants and reading their old books ha! I know with one favorite it eliminated the endless fight over who got to have the book when they all moved away and grew up.

I have been working on scheduling my time with my younger guy first too i do not know why but it is easier to handle sometimes that 4th repeat of a book first thing and be excited about it than I can be at the end of the day...I think mostly my dc are excited about getting their turn with something and i am usually the one that is dragging my feet...

That being said with things like bird/trees/insects we have picked different local ones to focus on for study each time..we talk a lot of walks/day trips during these books and with dd we did a lot of looking at wetlands, with ds we did walks in conifer forests...every kid has their favs...now dd watches for crows, maples, moths, ds likes stellar jays and lady bugs and wild fruit trees...I always watched for wooley bears and rhodies and red wing blackbirds, making sure to point them out when we see them...kind of like eye-spy... the big kiddos got to pick a tree for the house/yard...with in size limit of course...a bonsai and an apple so far...I know the next two are already planning! With birds, trees and insects we all have picked one to follow seasonally, even the kids who are not doing those books that year ....years I gave each kids so a special new notebook to make their own permanent bird lists...dd's is a cute handmade one with a bird on the cover from a fair trade store.

Your felt bird idea made me laugh...so glad my dd is not the only one!
            She made about a dozen from this site after reading the Burgess Bird Book on year and gave most of them away for Xmas

http://www.downeastthunderfarm.com/bird-patterns/

most of them are pretty easy...dd was a young 9 when she made hers...free patterns which is always good ha and we simplified them by doing less of the embroidery.

I am glad you mentioned it she has been asking to make more and since she is doing the bird set in the fall I think new felt supplies are in order for our "Not back to school" gifts

We also paint...they don't always hold still so we try to snap pictures on walks and use those and the guides to paint at home. having a personal book of bird/leaf/bug/other science things really helped make it personal in a not just like big brothers and sisters way with out being gimmicky esp giving them the choice of pencil or paint and which bird etc they wanted to do...

as it stands there are really is not a lot of fine art between 3rd and high school (oh we love the highschool music program!) for MP users and I find using the science books as an opportunity for art is a great way to fill that in.
            Winter 2020 :
            DD - Graduated!
            DS - core 10 with remediation/support
            DD - core 7 with remediation/support
            DS - core 5 with remediation/support

Comment

Thank you for those patterns! I'd looked at them before a while back but lost them in the interwebs. You just saved me a search!
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

2020-2021
              11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Comment

We have just begun Birds (she just couldn't wait to start it with the rest of her 5A next year). I LOVE the life-long list. Super idea. Thanks you!

My girl started with this book a couple of year ago and has been begging to do more bird studies since. https://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Bir.../dp/0486410595 This might be fun for a younger sibling to use that wants to be included
                Katie

2020/21 7th year with MP
                DS 16: 11th, MPOA, HSC, Dual Enrolled
                DD 13: 9th, MPOA Diploma Program
                DD 9: mix of MP 5, Seton, HSC, MPOA Latin,
                Twin DD's 7: mix of MP 2, Seton

Comment

Working...
                X