Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will Geography III teach countries not memorized in Geo 1 & II?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

will Geography III teach countries not memorized in Geo 1 & II?

I am trying to figure out when to add in countries the children don't memorize in Geography I & II. (Uganda is one that comes to mind -- there are several). Will this be done in Geo III? if not we'll improvise!
    Ana, mama to
    ds A, 14 yo
    ds N, 9 yo

Re: will Geography III teach countries not memorized in Geo 1 & II?

So tagging on this post! I would like to teach Geography III to our coop this fall. It would be for 6-8th graders. Will this be doable if some haven't had I and II? Also would you classify this as a year long class if I have one hour a week with them and assigning homework?
    -Amy

Nine babies, 6 graduated, 5 married, 17 grand babies 7 and under!
    2020/21 MP 3rd, 6th, 11th MPOA, College student. Starting 8th year using Memoria Press
    Director of Coop 412, a Classical Christian Coop using MP and based on Ephesians 4:12.

Comment

I cannot answer the question about teaching new countries in book III, but I can address Amy's question about using it for students without I and II.

If you have a mixed classroom, where some have had I and II, and some have not, I would adjust the expectations you have for the whole class. The map labeling and worksheets will take them longer because the material is new, rather than review. So I would either treat it as an "exposure" class, where your goal is simply to let them know these places exist and treat them all equally. Or another route you could go is to have them do the entire book, but select a subset of countries that you believe is most valuable for students to actually memorize. This is what I have done. I have picked out the countries that are most involved on the world stage for my son to actually map and memorize. The material on the other countries is simply for exposure.

Then the kids who have had I and II can fill in to their heart's content, but not have it be part of their grade for the class. And yes, I would consider it a full year.

AMDG,
      Sarah
      2020-2021
      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
      DS, 16
      DD, 14
      DD, 12
      DD, 10
      DD, 8
      DD, 6
      +DS+
      DS, 2

Comment

Geography III does teach the countries not taught in Geography II. It is a comprehensive world geography course and would definitely be a year-long course for 6th-8th graders.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
          Geography III does teach the countries not taught in Geography II. It is a comprehensive world geography course and would definitely be a year-long course for 6th-8th graders.

Tanya
          Tanya, thanks so much for this! It is great to know that we'll pick those other countries up as we go along, and I don't need to add them now.

Have a great weekend!
          Ana, mama to
          ds A, 14 yo
          ds N, 9 yo

Comment

Working...
          X