Sell me on the Teacher's Manuals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sell me on the Teacher's Manuals

I jumped into MP this year, but didn't get all the teacher's manuals. I'm trying to decide for next year whether or not to get them all, or to continue as we've been doing. So, how helpful have you found the teacher's manuals to be? Especially English Grammar Recitation, and First and Second Form Latin.

I studied Latin for many years, and I've taught some too, so I don't need help with the grammar or the answers. How much info is in the TM's that isn't in the student text? Am I missing any major points that I am supposed to teach the kiddos that isn't in the student book?

Thanks a bunch!
    Amanda - Mama to three crazy boys (7A, 6M, 2), classics major

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Re: Sell me on the Teacher's Manuals

I find the teacher's manuals for the form series very helpful, but I am learning Latin right along with my kids so I appreciate all the help I can get. The answer key is extremely useful. It makes quick work of checking answers. In my mind I'm comparing it to the TM of a 4th grade math book- yes, I know all the math and can easily solve the problems, but I'd much rather take a quick glance at the answers than have to read and think through each one.
    The answer key also has useful information in the back, such as grammar questions to review daily and vocab drills. And the TM's have nice appendices, too, helpful for recitation.
    We stopped using EGR, but from what I remember the TM was not quite as necessary as for Latin. Of course you need the recitation handbook, but not necessarily the answer key to the workbook.
    2018/2019
    Dd 12: MP 7A and First Form Greek
    Ds 10: MP 5M
    Ds 5: MP K

Comment

I have to say, that I sometimes need the TM for grammar too! Sometimes there is just not enough info for me to help enough with the exercises and I have to check the answers to make sure.

We have had many seasons of truly needing to cut costs. If there is a real need, my choice would be to opt for the TM, and then have your student do the work in a notebook. That way you know you have what you need whether you know you need it or not, you know?

AMDG,
      Sarah
      2020-2021
      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
      DS, 16
      DD, 14
      DD, 12
      DD, 10
      DD, 8
      DD, 6
      +DS+
      DS, 2

Comment

We get the TE for the Forms instead of the student text books. Since we are either side by side or using the whiteboard, we've never missed the extra book. I just use an index card to cover up the answers for the oral drill. I do like answer keys for quick checking. Dd often likes to read the teacher's notes.
        Last edited by bean; 02-23-2017, 12:20 PM.
        Bean. Long time MP user. I'm usually posting before my coffee is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

DD- 10th- AP & dual enrollment courses for 20-21.

Comment

We switched to MP one subject at a time, so I already have the student book - otherwise just getting the teacher's edition would be a great idea. (Perhaps I should have stated that before...) Now that we are doing full cores, I'm just deciding whether or not to go back and purchase the TM.

I hadn't thought of the TM like checking math answers (just to make it quick). Funny though, I don't own any math TMs either - I suppose I enjoy the mental challenge of working the problems myself

Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

I myself would find the TM for Latin helpful from 2nd Form on because of the recitation suggestions. On our own we do all the recitation material we've learned, each week (nouns forms one day, verbs another, adjectives & pronouns, etcetera) but we do the suggested recitation for the current lesson each day as well; it includes the grammar & model forms most pertinent to the lesson, suggested grammar questions, and suggested vocabulary review.

In First Form, it was easy for me to keep our recitations focused yet thorough; this year in 2nd, I am glad of the help! It is what I use the teacher manual for.

ETA: I very rarely use the English Grammar TM.
            Ana, mama to
            ds A, 14 yo
            ds N, 9 yo

Comment

I never used TMs until:
              1. I had multiple children
              2. Those multiple children got older and went beyond what I could grade quickly.

I like them mainly for simplicity and efficiency. While I do make allowances for short answer and essay questions in lit + FM series, it is lovely to grab the TM for whatever subject and whiz through my grading for each subject. (It is also nice when we stumble upon a vocab word I can't easily define!) Even better, because I have 3 using MP, I'm really getting my money's worth. When each subsequent kiddo comes up the ranks, I just need to order a consumables package and I'm done. Of course, by then, I'll likely have the TMs memorized. *LOL!*
              Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
              DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
              DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
                I never used TMs until:
                1. I had multiple children
                2. Those multiple children got older and went beyond what I could grade quickly.

I like them mainly for simplicity and efficiency. While I do make allowances for short answer and essay questions in lit + FM series, it is lovely to grab the TM for whatever subject and whiz through my grading for each subject. (It is also nice when we stumble upon a vocab word I can't easily define!) Even better, because I have 3 using MP, I'm really getting my money's worth. When each subsequent kiddo comes up the ranks, I just need to order a consumables package and I'm done. Of course, by then, I'll likely have the TMs memorized. *LOL!*
                Same here. It just makes life easier

If you needed to chose, I would purchase the TMs over the student guides, particularly if you plan to do any subjects or comprehension orally. There have been times where we may be short on time or just a crazy week and the TMs have saved us from scrapping the subject altogether by still being able to lead a quick comprehension discussion from the TM.
                Katie

2020/21 7th year with MP
                DS 16: 11th, MPOA, HSC, Dual Enrolled
                DD 13: 9th, MPOA Diploma Program
                DD 9: mix of MP 5, Seton, HSC, MPOA Latin,
                Twin DD's 7: mix of MP 2, Seton

Comment

Thanks ladies!
                  I took your advice and ordered the FF and SF teacher's manuals. Now awaiting box day!

Comment

Working...
                  X