Storytime Treasures and All About Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storytime Treasures and All About Reading

My seven-year-old daughter (1st grade) is in the first third of All About Reading Level 2. English is her second language and she did not start learning English until she was 5.5.

I am really looking forward to starting Storytime Treasures with her. Is this program designed for children to read by themselves or do I read the books and then they work through the workbook? If we continue with AAR, I'm afraid it's going to be next year by the time we start Storytime Treasures.

Any suggestions for melding the two programs together?

Thanks!

Re: Storytime Treasures and All About Reading

Welcome to MP! I'm not familiar with AAR, so I can't speak to combining the programs.
    A good way to test your students readiness is to have her read Little Bear, it's the first book assigned. Your student reads the book while you listen. Then together, you work through the guide. Most 1st graders need help forming well written, complete sentences. Many of us only require written answers to a few questions, but will discuss every question with our children.

HTH!
    Joyfully, Courtney
    DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

Comment

I don't think there are many AAR users here, so even though my situation is different from yours, hopefully my progress can give you some reference points. I found that 2/3 of the way through AAR 2 my children were able to start Little Bear. This was just about the point where R-controlled syllables are covered in AAR. This is also the point at which we were able to really start to breeze through AAR at a faster pace.

Son (late reader, currently 4th grader)
      2nd grade: Finished AAR 2, part of AAR 3, STT 1 & STT 2 - we mainly read the stories aloud, not spending much time with the workbooks. Our main focus was still on AAR.
      3rd grade Finished AAR 3, started AAR 4, completed Grade 2 Lit complete with guides. This is where we slowed down AAR to 1 lesson plus 1 story a week so we could focus on Lit and guides.
      4th grade: Just finished AAR 4, currently half way through Grade 3 Lit with guides

Daughter (currently 3rd grade - perfectly able reader whose mother let her get away with not reading much)
      1st grade: AAR 1
      2nd grade: AAR 2, read most of STT1, a couple from STT2 and a couple from Grade 2 Lit, completed 1/3 of AAR 3. Focused on AAR. Note: I accelerated my daughter through STT & Grade 2 so that I could combine these two kids for 3rd grade lit.
      3rd grade: jumped ahead to 3rd Grade Lit with guides and currently halfway through, AAR 3 almost complete. Pace of AAR has been slowed to 1 lesson and 1 story a week so we could focus on Lit and Guides.

I found AAR to move quite slowly in level 1, but partway through 2 we were able to move much faster. The difficulty does pick back up halfway through level 4. Once my kids started Lit packages with guides, we slowed down AAR to one lesson and one story a week so we could concentrate on lit. It has taken very little of their time this year. They read their AAR story on Monday. Tu-F they work 5-10 minutes on an AAR lesson and mainly focus on the books and guides from MP Lit.

My son reads a good bit faster than my daughter, but both are doing well reading and comprehending.
      DD 17 | 12th
      DS 15 | 9th
      DD 13 | 8th
      2021-2022

13th Year HSing, 9th Year MP

Comment

Originally posted by jenniferjb View Post
        I don't think there are many AAR users here, so even though my situation is different from yours, hopefully my progress can give you some reference points. I found that 2/3 of the way through AAR 2 my children were able to start Little Bear. This was just about the point where R-controlled syllables are covered in AAR. This is also the point at which we were able to really start to breeze through AAR at a faster pace.

Son (late reader, currently 4th grader)
        2nd grade: Finished AAR 2, part of AAR 3, STT 1 & STT 2 - we mainly read the stories aloud, not spending much time with the workbooks. Our main focus was still on AAR.
        3rd grade Finished AAR 3, started AAR 4, completed Grade 2 Lit complete with guides. This is where we slowed down AAR to 1 lesson plus 1 story a week so we could focus on Lit and guides.
        4th grade: Just finished AAR 4, currently half way through Grade 3 Lit with guides

Daughter (currently 3rd grade - perfectly able reader whose mother let her get away with not reading much)
        1st grade: AAR 1
        2nd grade: AAR 2, read most of STT1, a couple from STT2 and a couple from Grade 2 Lit, completed 1/3 of AAR 3. Focused on AAR. Note: I accelerated my daughter through STT & Grade 2 so that I could combine these two kids for 3rd grade lit.
        3rd grade: jumped ahead to 3rd Grade Lit with guides and currently halfway through, AAR 3 almost complete. Pace of AAR has been slowed to 1 lesson and 1 story a week so we could focus on Lit and Guides.

I found AAR to move quite slowly in level 1, but partway through 2 we were able to move much faster. The difficulty does pick back up halfway through level 4. Once my kids started Lit packages with guides, we slowed down AAR to one lesson and one story a week so we could concentrate on lit. It has taken very little of their time this year. They read their AAR story on Monday. Tu-F they work 5-10 minutes on an AAR lesson and mainly focus on the books and guides from MP Lit.

My son reads a good bit faster than my daughter, but both are doing well reading and comprehending.
        THAT was super helpful! We did First Start Reading last year and then moved in to Simply Classical 2, but it wasn't working. (we made it through 10 weeks of Simply Classical 2 phonics..so we did do the controlled r's which weren't a problem...it was the blends and she needed the syllabication rules) We started AAR1 in Oct? We are 1/3 of the way through AAR2. We did move quickly through 1/2 of level 1, since her problem lied in the blends. We are just about to work on silent e (again, since we already covered it in First Start Reading).

We are doing the Simply Classical Story Time Treasures. She is reading Little Bear, with ease. There isn't much composition with AAR, so that is why we are doing it. I wondered if I would continue with AAR, but it's been such a help to us that I feel like we should stick it out. I do really want to also do the Literature guides though!

To the OP: While your child should read the books to you, this program was developed in a classroom. So, no student is reading the entire thing in the class. You can team read with your child. (you read and she reads). If you wanted to start Little Bear, you could begin with you reading more than her and as she progresses, you can increase her reading. I would recommend purchasing the Simply Classical Storytime book though only because it is slightly shorter than the regular. You are busy enough with AAR and there is still plenty of writing in the Simply Classical one.
        Christine

(2021/2022)
        DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
        DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
        DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

I personally like AAR and have used it with my now 3rd grade son. My older son could have benefitted from the program as well, but the upper levels weren't written at the time so we used AAS instead. Since both of them went through first grade MP has added several extra reader packages, but at the time it was pretty much FSR D to STT. While my boys could read Little Bear they were not at all prepared for the rate at which SST ramped up. Hard words were pointed out in the upper part of the study guide, but there were no rules given for how to attack the process of dividing them into syllables so they were pretty much treated as sight words. The phonics lessons were good, but they didn't line up with when concepts were introduced in the stories. I tried to trust the process until I broke down and purchased AAR3 around the middle of 2nd grade and slowed way down on the second grade literature. He made it about 75% of the way through by working over the summer. It really boosted his confidence and his speed. It is a really great systematic program. My plan is is have him finish AAR3 and start AAR 4 this summer for extra practice as he still isn't where I really want him to be. I also use AAS (he is in level 3) with him since I already owned it and while it moves slowly it does fit well with the MP mastery philosophy. If I were doing it again in first grade I would continue with AAR and cut back on the phonics lessons in the core and maintain reading the stories together, but just tell him how to pronounce any word he hasn't learned the phonics to be able to pronounce. Good luck!

Dorinda
          Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
          15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
          DD College Freshman
          DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
          DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
          DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

I do agree that it's a great program. I did at times get frustrated with the speed at which it moves, but it is very thorough and systematic. I do love how they really prepared the student to read the stories. Once we were well into level 2, I was quite impressed with how fluently they were able to read the readers, and that gave them a lot of confidence. I am quite pleased with the results.
            jenniferjb
            Last edited by jenniferjb; 01-26-2017, 12:55 PM.
            DD 17 | 12th
            DS 15 | 9th
            DD 13 | 8th
            2021-2022

13th Year HSing, 9th Year MP

Comment

Do the new Phonics Guides to Reading & Spelling for 1st and 2nd grades, fill in the gaps between FSR and STT (in addition to FSR E)?
              Jennifer
              Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
              DS18: Almost done!
              DS17: MP, MPOA
              DS15: MP, MPOA
              DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
              DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
              DD9: SC3
              DD6: MPK

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                I personally like AAR and have used it with my now 3rd grade son. My older son could have benefitted from the program as well, but the upper levels weren't written at the time so we used AAS instead. Since both of them went through first grade MP has added several extra reader packages, but at the time it was pretty much FSR D to STT. While my boys could read Little Bear they were not at all prepared for the rate at which SST ramped up. Hard words were pointed out in the upper part of the study guide, but there were no rules given for how to attack the process of dividing them into syllables so they were pretty much treated as sight words. The phonics lessons were good, but they didn't line up with when concepts were introduced in the stories. I tried to trust the process until I broke down and purchased AAR3 around the middle of 2nd grade and slowed way down on the second grade literature. He made it about 75% of the way through by working over the summer. It really boosted his confidence and his speed. It is a really great systematic program. My plan is is have him finish AAR3 and start AAR 4 this summer for extra practice as he still isn't where I really want him to be. I also use AAS (he is in level 3) with him since I already owned it and while it moves slowly it does fit well with the MP mastery philosophy. If I were doing it again in first grade I would continue with AAR and cut back on the phonics lessons in the core and maintain reading the stories together, but just tell him how to pronounce any word he hasn't learned the phonics to be able to pronounce. Good luck!

Dorinda
                Are you just doing a few of the literature guides in 2nd/3rd with AAR, or just AAR then?
                Christine

(2021/2022)
                DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
                DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
                DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
                DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
                DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
                DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

Jennifer,

The addition of FSR E should fill in the gaps to prepare students to read Little Bear. And the Phonics Guides are a big help too. All this information used to be in the curriculum guides, in the form of phonics activities that would help you teach your student the new concepts, but we have combined all this prep work into the Phonics Guide for Reading now, so it should be easier to teach. And FSR E in the summer before beginning StoryTime will introduce your student to the more difficult words they will be reading in "real books." If your student struggles with Little Bear, we would suggest that you continue to use the phonetic readers alongside your StoryTime work for extra practice. But most students make the transition easily from the phonetic readers to Little Bear.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
                    Jennifer,

The addition of FSR E should fill in the gaps to prepare students to read Little Bear. And the Phonics Guides are a big help too. All this information used to be in the curriculum guides, in the form of phonics activities that would help you teach your student the new concepts, but we have combined all this prep work into the Phonics Guide for Reading now, so it should be easier to teach. And FSR E in the summer before beginning StoryTime will introduce your student to the more difficult words they will be reading in "real books." If your student struggles with Little Bear, we would suggest that you continue to use the phonetic readers alongside your StoryTime work for extra practice. But most students make the transition easily from the phonetic readers to Little Bear.

Tanya
                    Perfect! FSR has been a HUGE help for us...can't wait for STT!
                    Jennifer
                    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
                    DS18: Almost done!
                    DS17: MP, MPOA
                    DS15: MP, MPOA
                    DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
                    DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
                    DD9: SC3
                    DD6: MPK

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
                      Are you just doing a few of the literature guides in 2nd/3rd with AAR, or just AAR then?
                      For my current 3rd grader

First grade I tried to do it as written with no AAR and using MP spelling (this was before the extra phonics readers were added before Little Bear and SRA was scheduled in). Spelling only lasted for a few weeks before I switched to AAS.

Second grade I tried to do as written until it truly all fell apart at Little House in the Big Woods. He was so worn down by the whole experience that I ditched everything and just did AAR3 with him for the remainder of the year and the summer. He probably could have placed into AAR4, but he needed the review and confidence boost of AAR3.

Third Grade (this year) the plan had been to not start the third grade core at all this fall, but he had done really well with AAR3 so we have given it a go. We are doing 3A slowly and are up to week 12. He reads the literature books out loud, he reads the American Studies readers out loud as well, and we use All About Spelling 3 instead of Spelling Workout. The end of AAR3 and AAR 4 will be our summer work. He stills needs more work because he doesn't have the patience to sit and sound out lots of words when reading independently.

Fourth Grade - my thought for next year is to use 4 for new users and include more writing than we have done this year AND make it all the way through.

Jen, I do believe FSRE and the summer bridge and phonics readers were added to address the problems like I had with my boys. FSR D straight to Little Bear was a major problem here. I think more than being ready for Little Bear a child almost needs to be a confident reader of Little Bear. Some of the SST books are a very high reading level and they ramp up quickly. While we made it through first grade with the resources provided at the time, but it was not without serious injury to his self confidence as a reader/student. The MP materials are probably sufficient at this point and I am very happy that they were added. The poster was just asking about combining AAR with the literature guides.

Dorinda
                      Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
                      15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
                      DD College Freshman
                      DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
                      DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
                      DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

I think you've already gotten great replies, but for one more experience...my oldest daughter was very slow to read, and we were never on track for a complete grade package with MP until this year (3M). We went through all of AAR 1-4 with her, and we used STT as a literature program...so I read a lot of them to her, she read a few pages when she could (when she had the stamina), but the focus was always AAR. STT was more like enrichment for us. I did use the workbooks, though, as a way to help her writing skills to develop. She couldn't answer every question, but we picked a few and moved on. Anyway, in 2nd grade, she read the literature books just fine after finishing AAR (we waited to start 2nd grade lit until after she finished up AAR level 4 during the first 1/2 of her 2nd grade year). Then we read the lit books, and did the workbooks for 3 of them (Sarah Noble, Little House, and Animal Folktales, if I remember correctly). Again, we had to go slow with the workbooks...she couldn't do an entire lesson written, but we picked a few questions to write out after talking about all of them. This year in 3M, she's finally up to speed on the guide books. I'm happy we finished AAR, though, instead of focusing too much on the literature to begin with, to the neglect of the super explicit phonics instruction that she needed.
                        Emily J

2018-2019 School Year
                        DD (11)-MP 5 core
                        DD (9)-SC 4
                        DD (8)-MP 2 core
                        DS (6)-SC B

*Be of good cheer. Do not think of today's failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow. You have set yourself a difficult task but you will succeed if you persevere: and you will find joy in overcoming obstacles. Remember, no effort that we make to obtain something beautiful is ever lost. ~Helen Keller*

Comment

Working...
                        X