To All Who Attended CIRCE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To All Who Attended CIRCE

I hope you all had a fantastic time! Hopefully you will return to Louisville for Sodalitas this summer, until then..... Would you share a nugget of encouragement with those of us who could not go?
    Joyfully, Courtney
    DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

Re: To All Who Attended CIRCE

This will be short because I'm sitting in study hall at HLN and I'm supposed to be taking advantage of the quiet to prep for next week.

It was indeed fantastic. You can't hear too often that what we are doing is worth what it takes to make it happen and that the fruit is good. If you can afford the CDs, I definitely recommend them when they become available for purchase.

I can tell you though--it is entirely different to do a lot of listening versus having conversations. This was my first CiRCE conference and I've held out attending one as a bit of an impossible dream for a few years. Having attended one, I will say that I prefer a better mix of hearing from the speakers and from the other attendees. At a listening conference (which is how I'd describe this one), you only listen. You talk with other participants when a session isn't happening. It's not bad, it's just a particular style. You wouldn't believe the richness of those people in the seats beside you. It's stunning. Christopher Perrin alluded to this, but it's just too hard with such a large crowd. There was about 30 minutes at the end where he opened it to the audience to respond. That little window was fantastic! Questions laced with anxiety and fear were gently smoothed away when about 7 experienced homeschoolers spoke answers filled with humble confidence, peace, and great encouragement.

Compare all the listening with an intentional conversation around a tableful of like-minded adults at a Mexican restaurant Friday night and then a German place Saturday night. I learned so much! We were swapping book titles (I actually forwarded Martin's list to a few on the spot!) and websites and telling stories and listening to each other.

I definitely need both and am thankful for the growing I was challenged to do this weekend. I attended as a student and wasn't disappointed in the least. I was also reminded that the conversation part is just as important. I learned I need to ask more questions of my friends and really listen to their answers. Woe to us if we force our fellow travelers to learn their lessons the hard way when we've already done it and bought our experience at such high cost! (You all are on the forum, so I'm preaching to the choir here!) The image of standing on one another's shoulders is powerful. We must be committed to helping each other do this in a healthy, honoring, diligent, and truly Christ-focused way. Andrew Kern challenged us with this, "What would education look like it if were truly Christian?" I have been thinking on that for my homeschool and for our cottage school and I plan to continue. We must work and fill ourselves. We must pour that out as well.

That's a start...what did you others take away?

Bonus tidbit: Mary is fantastic roommate. I'm sure that fact will help everyone on their homeschooling journey.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
    DS Hillsdale College freshman
    DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
    DD 8th • HLN & Home
    DS 5th • HLN & Home
    Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
    Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
      Bonus tidbit: Mary is fantastic roommate. I'm sure that fact will help everyone on their homeschooling journey.
      Did she play reveille for you at oh-dark-thirty and bounce a quarter on your freshly made bed, or am I just special?

Seriously, I was thinking of you all this weekend and wishing I could soak in the knowledge and atmosphere.
      Jodi
      ~~~~~~~
      2019-20 School Year:
      Ethan (7A)
      Matthew (5A)
      Silas (1st)
      Eleanor (4yo dabbling in PK as time allows)
      Andrew (brand new as of Oct 2019)

Comment

Thank you for sharing that, Jessica! I hope others will share as well, but your description is helpful - to know the different styles of conferences!

I now know the reason I was "meant" to stay home - entire family came down with the evil death flu (including me!). So glad I did not bring THAT to share with you all!

More sharing please....
        AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
        DS, 17
        DD, 15
        DD, 13
        DD, 11
        DD, 9
        DD, 7
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

Originally posted by JodiSue View Post
          Did she play reveille for you at oh-dark-thirty and bounce a quarter on your freshly made bed, or am I just special?

Seriously, I was thinking of you all this weekend and wishing I could soak in the knowledge and atmosphere.
          What?! No! I must have received the civilian treatment. You, my dear, are special!
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

DD 8th • HLN & Home
          DS 5th • HLN & Home

Comment

Originally posted by JodiSue View Post

I was able to, in utter darkness, get dressed, do my hair, put on makeup and slip upstairs to breakfast without waking Jessica. It made her wonder what other evil ninja-like skills I have... *raises eyebrow* (I think I also freaked out poor Anne and Carlyn on the way home from dinner...but that's another conversation entirely...) We did make our bed each day and our room would have passed SSG Williams' inspection at any time. I did not, at any point, tell Jessica that her hair was out of regulation.

As for the convention, I have to agree with Jessica that there is a world of difference between being there in person and merely listening to the CDs. The latter is not *bad*, per se, but there is just so much richness that is missed from conversation with neighbors (but NOT while Martin is talking!) to small details like the facial expressions of the speakers. Really, one just can't fully appreciate Martin Cothran unless s/he sees his glasses perched at the end of his nose while cocking his head just so to one side...or the perfection of Andrew Kern's bowtie...or the utter joy exuded by Carol Reynolds as she practically dances around the podium while speaking.

While I did miss the Frat Party thrown by Christopher Perrin because I was downstairs doing philosophy homework like a good girl *ahem*, I reveled in the beauty of the conversations each plenary opened up. There was just not enough time. I needed another day or two just to process and discuss all that we'd learned. I also desperately wanted to brainstorm about ways to open these up to more people without either overextending the speakers or watering down the message. I was so grateful to be there (thanks to my family!) but I was saddened that most of us don't have this opportunity when we most need it, either because of monetary or time constraints (mostly both).

What did I take away (besides 100% scores on my philosophy tests after hearing some gems of wisdom about metaphysics)?

1. The Fab Five of the Classical Consortium (Martin Cothran, Andrew Pudewa, Andrew Kern, Christopher Perrin, Carol Reynolds) may be giants in their fields, but they are beautifully and wonderfully human. They are not idols; rather, humans with more experience.

2. Education is lifelong. My job is not to throw every single, solitary great book ever written at my children. It is not to despair if we "miss" something or don't get it on the first try. It is certainly not to spend endless hours worrying if I have the "perfect" curriculum or a homeschool day worthy of a misty watercolored blog post.
            Rather, my job is to instill in them a love of learning, a thirst for knowledge and a yearning for all that is good and beautiful - their objections to math homework and Latin conjugations notwithstanding. (Mrs. Lowe - did I use "notwithstanding" correctly there? And while we're at it, why weren't YOU speaking at the conference? I wanted to hear you discuss 'delight' vs. 'fun' again!)

3. With re: to #2: My job is also to help others, newer to classical education, once the trench warfare of homeschooling my own children has ended. I was going to add that I should be reaching out to others at every point during this journey; however, after comparing my children's education to being in the trenches, I'm sure the good people at MP will cut off my access to the forum and CiRCE will ban me from all future conferences. *cracks up laughing*

4. What I have in my homeschool is good and it is enough.
            Last edited by Mary; 01-23-2017, 03:28 PM.
            Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
            DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
            DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Mary--I love your observations!! Thank you!
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

DD 8th • HLN & Home
              DS 5th • HLN & Home

Comment

Mary,

You may want to explain the reference to "our bed." I happen to be aware that there was a "wall" between you, but others may wonder ...

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by RunnerJoy View Post
                  I hope you all had a fantastic time! Hopefully you will return to Louisville for Sodalitas this summer, until then..... Would you share a nugget of encouragement with those of us who could not go?
                  Feast BBQ on Market is amazing, for us locals. We need to plan a lunch, Courtney. They have BOURBON SLUSHES, which could be encouragement at the end of a bad homeschool day.

I didn't go to the conference, but met up with loads of pals from across the country for dinner, drinks and chatting.
                  Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
                  DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, looking at dual credit - equestrian and theatre
                  DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
                  DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis -auditory processing disorder
                  DD5 - 10- 5A, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
                  DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
                    Mary,

You may want to explain the reference to "our bed." I happen to be aware that there was a "wall" between you, but others may wonder ...

Tanya
                    BAHAHAHA! We were forced to share a king bed, as there were no doubles available. Both Jessica and I clung for our dear lives to each side, lest we roll over in the night and accidentally snuggle with each other. (I actually made a panicked phone call to my husband on Thursday night, asking if I snored or broke wind in my sleep - just in case.)

As an additional safety measure, we each cuddled up to an extra pillow. Oh, to be a fly on OUR wall...
                    Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
                    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
                    DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
                      Feast BBQ on Market is amazing, for us locals. We need to plan a lunch, Courtney. They have BOURBON SLUSHES, which could be encouragement at the end of a bad homeschool day.

I didn't go to the conference, but met up with loads of pals from across the country for dinner, drinks and chatting.
                      I would love to go to lunch!

I didn't get to meet up for dinner because I was celebrating my 15th Anniversary with my husband. We went to Gatlinburg and hiked in the Smokies. <3
                      Joyfully, Courtney
                      DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

Comment

Sounds like a great time, Courtney! Happy Anniversary!

Isn't it amazing how time flies? Bet it doesn't feel like 15!

AMDG,
                        Sarah
                        2020-2021
                        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                        DS, 17
                        DD, 15
                        DD, 13
                        DD, 11
                        DD, 9
                        DD, 7
                        +DS+
                        DS, 2

Comment

I am processing the Circe conference. I spent much of my time being in awe of the presenters and the homeschool mothers who surrounded me. I did not talk much for I felt a bit unworthy. I do acknowledge that I am one of the "older moms" who may not be able to give you all the answers, but encourage you that you are on the right path, and it is going to be ok. As for myself, I had one moment of tearful panic and asked Anne to homeschool my daughter if anything ever happens to me (not planning on it), but that will certainly give you a feel for how important this Christ-centered classical education is to me. I felt inspired by the speakers who encouraged us to make our homes like little "monasteries"-- havens from the secular world that will become beacons to others because of the True, the Good, and the Beautiful (I really treasure that image).

I enjoyed being in the presence of Wendell Berry whose work I am just beginning to explore. It was good to see and hear his manners, expressions, and accent. I am so thankful for how gracious he was to sign Anne and Mary's books and take photos with us. A true delight to see an author in person!

It was a delight to laugh and talk and share with other moms throughout the conference. I am so thankful there are others out there mining for gold in the depths with me. Thank you for the shuttle service, Dianna! I am looking forward to connecting with some more local (Lima, OH and Indianapolis) moms that I met at Circe.

Anne and I had the priviledge of attending mass at the Cathedral of the Assumption just down from the conference. We experienced the Beautiful there that morning-- the architecture, the choir, the blue with gold stars ceiling, the Liturgy. Amazing.

God is good. He is enough. Trusting Him to work it out for His glory.
                          Carlyn D.
                          DD- 14 yr. old has used Memoria Press Classical Core since K; 9A currently
                          DS- 22 yr. old college graduate
                          DS- 22 yr. old college student
                          Both sons graduated May 2016 from high school after homeschooling since preschool. :)

Comment

Originally posted by CarlynD View Post

Anne and I had the priviledge of attending mass at the Cathedral of the Assumption just down from the conference. We experienced the Beautiful there that morning-- the architecture, the choir, the blue with gold stars ceiling, the Liturgy. Amazing.

Yes! And I didn't realize I should have visited cathedral until it was time for me to leave town Sunday morning. I was so sad at that opportunity missed and I'm not even Catholic!
                            Festina lentē,
                            Jessica P

DD 8th • HLN & Home
                            DS 5th • HLN & Home

Comment

Originally posted by CarlynD View Post
                              I am processing the Circe conference. I spent much of my time being in awe of the presenters and the homeschool mothers who surrounded me. I did not talk much for I felt a bit unworthy. I do acknowledge that I am one of the "older moms" who may not be able to give you all the answers, but encourage you that you are on the right path, and it is going to be ok. As for myself, I had one moment of tearful panic and asked Anne to homeschool my daughter if anything ever happens to me (not planning on it), but that will certainly give you a feel for how important this Christ-centered classical education is to me. I felt inspired by the speakers who encouraged us to make our homes like little "monasteries"-- havens from the secular world that will become beacons to others because of the True, the Good, and the Beautiful (I really treasure that image).

I enjoyed being in the presence of Wendell Berry whose work I am just beginning to explore. It was good to see and hear his manners, expressions, and accent. I am so thankful for how gracious he was to sign Anne and Mary's books and take photos with us. A true delight to see an author in person!

It was a delight to laugh and talk and share with other moms throughout the conference. I am so thankful there are others out there mining for gold in the depths with me. Thank you for the shuttle service, Dianna! I am looking forward to connecting with some more local (Lima, OH and Indianapolis) moms that I met at Circe.

<3<3

The Cathedral is one of the gems of our city. I'm thrilled that you and Anne got to go. Who did the homily? Father Michael is one of my favorites (young fellow, and director of vocations).

I dropped in Sat night for Mass before meeting up with folks for dinner.

You are more than welcome for shuttling. I hope you and Anne don't think I'm completely inept with directions in my own town.
                              Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
                              DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, looking at dual credit - equestrian and theatre
                              DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
                              DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis -auditory processing disorder
                              DD5 - 10- 5A, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
                              DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Comment

Working...
                              X