Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CS Lewis' education- question from Circe Regional Conference

Hello all,

I attended the Circe conference in Louisville this past weekend and during Martin's talk, he mentioned that CS Lewis only studied 3 things in his younger years. (I am pretty sure it was Martin, and if not, I feel confident he would know the answer.) I can only remember 2 of them... Latin and the Great Books. Was the 3rd one Greek? Does anyone who attended the conference remember? Thanks so much!

Missy

Re: CS Lewis' education- question from Circe Regional Conference

Hi Missy!

I just paged through my notes and realized I wrote nothing from Martin's talk. I don't recall hearing that; however, I might have been passing notes when this was mentioned and missed it altogether. *Insert "embarrassed" emoticon here*

I really hope he's not reading this right now!

I also wonder if that comment was literal or if these were the three things that Lewis studied in-depth or remembers most...? Now I'm curious to see the responses.
    Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
    DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Latin & Greek (and reading the great books in those languages) and I think Christopher Perrin added Dialectic (i.e. arguing with the Great Knock). To learn about this, just pick up a copy of Lewis' book, Surprised by Joy. His story is amazing and of course he tells it well.
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
      DS Hillsdale College freshman
      DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
      DD 8th • HLN & Home
      DS 5th • HLN & Home
      Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
      Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

I spoke with Martin, and that wasn't his talk. Sorry!

Comment

Thank you to everyone who replied, and for the book recommendation, pickandgrin. It was nice to see you again!

Missy

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
            Hi Missy!

I just paged through my notes and realized I wrote nothing from Martin's talk. I don't recall hearing that; however, I might have been passing notes when this was mentioned and missed it altogether. *Insert "embarrassed" emoticon here*

I really hope he's not reading this right now!

I also wonder if that comment was literal or if these were the three things that Lewis studied in-depth or remembers most...? Now I'm curious to see the responses.
            You wrote nothing from my talk? I'm sure it was because you were so entranced by my presentation that it didn't even occur to you to do anything other than listen. And indeed it was not me who said it. It must have been one of the other speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by martin View Post
              You wrote nothing from my talk? I'm sure it was because you were so entranced by my presentation that it didn't even occur to you to do anything other than listen.
              Yes. Absolutely.

Actually I was so excited that my hands were shaking, thus rendering me unable to hold a pen.
              Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

I think it came up in one of the panel talks? I didn't write it down at the time because I had learned it from the book. To cover for Mary, I will forward her half of my four pages of notes from your talk, Mr. Cothran.
                Festina lentē,
                Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
                DS Hillsdale College freshman
                DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
                DD 8th • HLN & Home
                DS 5th • HLN & Home
                Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
                Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Thanks for covering for me, Jessica! We will NOT tell Mr. Cothran that I was busy perfecting my paper airplane folding technique during his talk.
                  Last edited by Mary; 01-23-2017, 03:29 PM. Reason: Really? I left out the VERB? *gasp*
                  Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Working...
                  X