New to homeschool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to homeschool

Hi there. I am homeschooling my first son for his first year of school. We have kept K pretty light and I'm already thinking ahead for 1st grade because I have the hardest time choosing curriculum. I recently heard about Story Time Treasures and I think it looks great! I'm not sure if he will be reading that well or not. My question is, what do you have to supplement for language arts if you use Story Time Treasures? Phonics and Spelling? Anything else? I also took a peek at the First Grade Supplemental Science & Enrichment Complete Set. The book list looks great! I'm just not sure how it works? Is it just books or is there lesson plans or workbooks? Sorry I'm lost.

Re: New to homeschool

Hi, I began my 1st grader on Storytime Treasures and math from mp, and as much as I liked it, I was also unhappy with it--I felt it was phonics-light. Well, eventually I began pecking around more on samples of other language arts first grade products and saw the problem--it all works together with such synergy! I highly encourage spelling, classical phonics, and the phonics guide, and even the readers--the whole kit and caboodle for anything language. She has made huge leaps just since I began that four weeks ago--
    Last edited by whippoorwill; 01-06-2017, 05:48 AM.
    2020-21:
    Daughter 7A
    Daughter 5A
    Son finishing K, beginning MP1

HighlandsLatin.org/Bentonville

Comment

We also came to MP after a light (even dare I say unschoolish) K year. I whole heartedly agree with whippoorwill, you need all the phonics stuff, not just Story Time Treasures. STT is great, but not a full phonics program. For what it's worth, we backed up and did FSR D and E before starting 1st, and now she is just flying throug books; I can't believe how much her reading (ability and confidence) has improved. We do find all the writing in STT to be a bit too much, but she's gradually working up to it. I anticipate my current MP K'er will have no problem with it next year though, due to more writing practice this year in MP k. We don't use MP science or Enrichment this year, so I can't help there, but I'm sure others can!

Comment

Welcome to homeschooling!

Like others have said, Storytime Treasures is meant to be an early literature program; so while it covers various language arts concepts, it's not meant to be a phonics/spelling/reading program in and of itself.

Be sure to look at "Little Bear" in the 1st grade package. If your son would need significant help reading it, then you would want to start with First Start Reading first. Depending on where he's at, you might only need Books D & E with their accompanying readers before going into STT. Memoria is an advanced curriculum so many people start their children a year "behind" when starting out with the program -- I started several of my children a year "below" their grade and it has worked out very well.

For Enrichment: each of the early grades (K-2) have an enrichment book that coincides with the optional read-aloud package. Each week, the Enrichment Guide has you read one of the read-aloud books and gives you background on the author, helpful definitions for building vocabulary/comprehension, questions about the what is happening in the story, etc. The Guide also gives you background on an artist for the week (coincides with a painting from the Art Cards for that grade) and background on a music selection for the week. There is also a social studies and science portion that relates to the week's read-aloud. These are usually very simple activities like cutting/pasting the continents on cardstock or learning how to set a table or talking about what food cows provide and how cows are viewed by other cultures. There is also a poetry selection.

HTH!
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
        DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
        DS15: MP, MPOA
        DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
        DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
        DD10: SC3
        DD7: MPK

Comment

As mentioned in the some responses you received, when used as intended Story Time Treasures is a wonderful part of the MP first grade reading program. If you only use STT and not the other pieces, you will get a lovely but incomplete phonics lesson. Classical Phonics, EPS colored readers, Core Skills and Phonics Flashcards all work together with STT.

For the science/enrichment books, they are supplemental. Science, history, geography and social studies are not taught from a text in the primary grades. Rather, the theme is gleaned from the Read Aloud book. The supplemental science/enrichment books that match the theme for the week are read to the students. Then there are questions and activities given in the Enrichment Guide. Observation and discussion are then the main ways a student at this age will learn science and history. The science books in our set are age appropriate and contain no "surprise" topics such as age of earth, evolution or current cultural issues. If the theme for the week is lions, read a book on lions. That portion of the curriculum is not tied to the books we have selected. You certainly have the freedom, and I would suggest, you read many books on the theme rather than limit yourself only to the ones we choose.

Blessings,
          Michelle T

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
            As mentioned in the some responses you received, when used as intended Story Time Treasures is a wonderful part of the MP first grade reading program. If you only use STT and not the other pieces, you will get a lovely but incomplete phonics lesson. Classical Phonics, EPS colored readers, Core Skills and Phonics Flashcards all work together with STT.

For the science/enrichment books, they are supplemental. Science, history, geography and social studies are not taught from a text in the primary grades. Rather, the theme is gleaned from the Read Aloud book. The supplemental science/enrichment books that match the theme for the week are read to the students. Then there are questions and activities given in the Enrichment Guide. Observation and discussion are then the main ways a student at this age will learn science and history. The science books in our set are age appropriate and contain no "surprise" topics such as age of earth, evolution or current cultural issues. If the theme for the week is lions, read a book on lions. That portion of the curriculum is not tied to the books we have selected. You certainly have the freedom, and I would suggest, you read many books on the theme rather than limit yourself only to the ones we choose.

Blessings,
            Michelle T
            A lot of people get confused by the two read-aloud sets! Just to clarify: the Enrichment Guide is based on the grade-level Read Aloud Package. The additional Science Read-Aloud package is entirely optional and not what the Enrichment Guide is based on although it adds additional "meat" to the social studies and science activities for each week. Like Michelle said, any book on the week's theme will work fine if you want something extra in addition to the week's normal read-aloud. We have done the social studies/science activities without any extra books at all and it was completely fine.
            Jennifer
            Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
            DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
            DS15: MP, MPOA
            DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
            DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
            DD10: SC3
            DD7: MPK

Comment

Jen,

Thanks for the clarification!!

Michelle T

Comment

Welcome, Elizabeth, to MP and the forum! You've been given good advice already by Whippoorwhil and Alihuyoung. Memoria Press is quite unique from other curriculum publishers in that they are painting a complete picture with their offerings, rather than the goal of merely producing loads of stand-alone products. The studies most assuredly can be used in isolation (many use the literature guides or Latin from the older ages with other curriculum choices) but they are written with the intent and synergy that Whippoorwill mentioned.

To your two specific questions:
                1) You've already been updated on the full picture of language arts, of which Story Time Treasures is on part.
                2) The Supplemental Science and Enrichment sets for k/1st/2nd are, usually, a book or two per week that compliments something else studied that week (see the first grade lesson plans here, for example), usually from that week's read aloud book on Monday. If you'll print out that two page spread and lay it side by side, you'll see the full picture of a first grade week. Thursday and Friday list a few things to focus on for history and science. The book sets are provided for sale for those who do not have access to voluminous local libraries or for those of us who are Sick And Tired of reserving books/fetching/returning all the time. (Ask me how I know?! The fun of that wore off a few years back.) These sets are complimentary to the core academic work being done in K-2: phonics, reading, penmanship, cursive, arithmetic, and Latin in second grade. Everything you see across that bottom line (read aloud, poetry, music, art appreciation, history and science) are just beautiful things that ice the cake of the rest of the curriculum.

Some helpful things:
                -You might be new enough to curriculum shopping that you are still in the overwhelmed phase. That is OK! In my experience the choosing/buying part is almost harder than actually homeschooling. Ha! If you can get to a local homeschool convention and put your hands on curriculum choices you will start to see the differences. Some larger convention choices are Great Homeschool Convention or Teach Them Diligently. Another option is the summer training Memoria Press offers, but that's not until July. If you do decide to use MP next year, you can get two full days of training and equipping and will be ready to implement it in your home in the fall. More on that here: https://www.memoriapress.com/2017-sodalitas-gathering/

Request the newest MP Magalog here. It's loaded with photos, descriptions, articles, and sequence charts so you can really see the full picture of MP's offerings.

And...I've just been away from this message for an hour or two and I see you have even more replies. Hope this is still helpful!
                Festina lentē,
                Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
                DS Hillsdale College freshman
                DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
                DD 8th • HLN & Home
                DS 5th • HLN & Home
                Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
                Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                  Request the newest MP Magalog here. It's loaded with photos, descriptions, articles, and sequence charts so you can really see the full picture of MP's offerings.

And...I've just been away from this message for an hour or two and I see you have even more replies. Hope this is still helpful!
                  The "magalog" is what sold me on MP! I actually previewed some of their materials individually and while appealing, they themselves did not sell me. I left a conference overwhelmed, but the "magalog" was in my little goodie bag I went home with. I then spent several weeks going through other curriculum providers, but I kept coming back to the "magalog". It really made things much clearer and I was able to see the progression. I ended up selling everything else and buying the K package! (even though my daughter was 6 and we already did a K curriculum the year before!)
                  Christine

(2022/2023)
                  DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
                  DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
                  DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
                  DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
                  DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
                  DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
                    The "magalog" is what sold me on MP!
                    Me, too! I'd never heard of MP before I got one in my home mailbox. That was almost six years ago!
                    Festina lentē,
                    Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
                    DS Hillsdale College freshman
                    DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
                    DD 8th • HLN & Home
                    DS 5th • HLN & Home
                    Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
                    Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Working...