Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Changes for next year?

Hello.

It is one book that covers all three years. You will get it in your K package and use it through 2nd grade.

Tanya

Comment

Wonderful! This will be a great resource at home as well as at the cottage school!
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

2020-2021
      11th year HSing · 9th year MP
      @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
      11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

I just found the new Classical Teacher in my mailbox...yeah!!!!!

I see the Story Bible enrichment booklet is available as well as the music enrichment guide. My question is for the music enrichment, will it match up with the current Kindergarten enrichment guide or did the music selections change? Wondering if I should order it right now or just start using the music part next year for first grade.

-Laura
        2019-2020
        DD8, MP3/SC5-6
        DD6, MP1
        DD5, MPK

Comment

Laura,

The new music does not match the K Enrichment Guide yet. We have not reprinted at this time, though it is on our list. It's up to you which music you use. You can continue on with the music in your Enrichment Guide, but if you want to go ahead and make the switch, the Music Enrichment Guide has all the information you need to teach a nice music lesson. Either lesson (old or new music) is good, so you don't lose either way!

Tanya

Comment

I've been wondering when/why the change from Golden Children's Bible to The Story Bible? Was it a publishing issue or a content one? Will I need to get the The Story Bible when I buy the 2nd grade program?
            Miah - married to Warcabbage, 3 boys, BS in social work, AS in Electrical Engineering Technology

Evulcarrot - 18, freshman in college, Medical Technology , mild autism
            Battlebroccoli - 17, lives with grandma, attends a special high school program part time
            Doomsprout - 10, highly verbal moderate autism, anxiety, motor delays, sensory processing issues - SC 4 with R&S 4

Comment

Hello.

We made the change last spring, I think. The reason was that we felt the GCB stories were too long and complicated for primary students. Cheryl Swope chose The Story Bible for her special-needs curriculum, and we fell in love with it for our primary program. Before the change, our primary students were assigned random stories from the GCB to read. With this change, since the SB has shorter stories, we are able to take students through the entire Bible chronologically in K-2nd grades. Then we take them back through the GCB in grades 3-6, so by the time they are out of grammar school, they have read all major stories twice and been through two entire Bibles. We feel it is a great improvement. There wasn't anything wrong with the original program, but this is definitely a better Bible choice for younger students, and we love the idea of their reading through the entire story. You can use either Bible you wish, and it will be fine if you want to skip the SB and not make a change in the middle of your curriculum!

Tanya

Comment

Are there any other planned changes for 2nd grade and 5A grade? Thanks!
                ***Using some 5A and 8A MP materials for 2020-2021***

Comment

For 2nd grade, the addition of the new music and official Christian Studies (using the Story Bible) have been added to Curriculum Manual. This means that there is a Bible lesson scheduled for Christian Studies and then a mini Bible lesson to coordinate with the Copybook to give context to the week's verse. Also of note, one Christmas read aloud is back ordered (The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey) but is due in July.

For 5th grade no changes are being made at this time.

Blessings,
                  Michelle T

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
                    For 2nd grade, the addition of the new music and official Christian Studies (using the Story Bible) have been added to Curriculum Manual. This means that there is a Bible lesson scheduled for Christian Studies and then a mini Bible lesson to coordinate with the Copybook to give context to the week's verse. Also of note, one Christmas read aloud is back ordered (The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey) but is due in July.

For 5th grade no changes are being made at this time.

Blessings,
                    Michelle T
                    Thank you!
                    ***Using some 5A and 8A MP materials for 2020-2021***

Comment

You are welcome!

Michelle T

Comment

"We made the change last spring, I think. The reason was that we felt the GCB stories were too long and complicated for primary students. Cheryl Swope chose The Story Bible for her special-needs curriculum, and we fell in love with it for our primary program. Before the change, our primary students were assigned random stories from the GCB to read. With this change, since the SB has shorter stories, we are able to take students through the entire Bible chronologically in K-2nd grades. Then we take them back through the GCB in grades 3-6, so by the time they are out of grammar school, they have read all major stories twice and been through two entire Bibles. We feel it is a great improvement. There wasn't anything wrong with the original program, but this is definitely a better Bible choice for younger students, and we love the idea of their reading through the entire story. You can use either Bible you wish, and it will be fine if you want to skip the SB and not make a change in the middle of your curriculum!"

GREAT call!
                        I concur with your opinions stated here, having used all MP cores up to 3. (and accelerated 6)

Comment

I'm still deciding if I want to start my rising 3rd grader early in a few subjects. I may go ahead and purchase his entire core. Are there any changes being made to 3M or 3A?

Any changes for 1st that weren't previously listed in this thread? I think Music, Christian Studies and a check on Enrichment/Read Alouds are the ones I saw.

Any changes for 5th or 6th?

Thanks!
                          Joyfully, Courtney
                          DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

Comment

I don't anticipate any core changes this year other than the primary music changes, the addition of the Christian Studies 4 reader to 6th, and the addition of Core Skills Language workbooks to supplement 3-6 grammar. These worksheets haven't been added to the lesson plans or packages yet, and they are totally supplemental. Some just wanted more grammar practice, and Cheryl found these.

Tanya

Comment

Thanks Tanya!
                              Joyfully, Courtney
                              DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

Comment

Working...
                              X