Classical Comp III Lesson 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classical Comp III Lesson 4

My son just started this lesson. The Chreia is a quote of John C. Calhoun. While we have no trouble with the quote itself, we're having difficulty with the Encomium. We read about Calhoun on Wikipedia and Worldbook. He was a staunch defender of slavery before the Civil War. He used his oratorical skill to persuade others that something intrinsically evil was permissible under the guise of states' rights. I'm trying to teach my children to look for the good in everyone as we are all made in the image and likeness of God; otherwise we'd simply skip this lesson. We have two praises so far: Calhoun was a successful lawyer and great speaker. Does anyone have a suggestion of some other praise we could add to our list? Thank you! -Pam

p.s. My son just added some praises. John Caldwell Calhoun is an interesting name and that he was an honour graduate of Yale College. Thanks again! He'll tackle Paraphrase tomorrow. I hope this helps anyone out there with similar problems. God bless!
    Last edited by plb; 11-23-2016, 05:51 PM.
    DS16, mix of MP and other resources 2021-2022

"[May] the peace of God, which passes all understanding, ... keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Re: Classical Comp III Lesson 4

Hello.

I don't think you need to add more praise if it isn't apparent. You could just say that he was passionate about what he believed and did a fine job defending it, even though it was inherently wrong. This is a good message for young people. This happens all the time that we are influenced by someone's passionate argument if we aren't careful. It is so important that we have worked out right and wrong ourselves so that we can be on guard against falling for a good argument!

Tanya

Comment

Re: Classical Comp III Lesson 4

Originally posted by tanya View Post
      Hello.

I don't think you need to add more praise if it isn't apparent. You could just say that he was passionate about what he believed and did a fine job defending it, even though it was inherently wrong. This is a good message for young people. This happens all the time that we are influenced by someone's passionate argument if we aren't careful. It is so important that we have worked out right and wrong ourselves so that we can be on guard against falling for a good argument!

Tanya
      Thank you, Tanya! I hadn't thought about it that way. It is important to examine the arguments presented on various issues carefully so we're not swayed by a charismatic speaker tickling our "itching ears." Happy Thanksgiving!
      DS16, mix of MP and other resources 2021-2022

"[May] the peace of God, which passes all understanding, ... keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Comment

Working...
      X