Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oops! Accidentally read the kids a murder mystery!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Oops! Accidentally read the kids a murder mystery!

    So this evening I sat down to read the kids their bedtime story. I grabbed An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving from the 4th grade read aloud set from the bookshelf and opened it up to chapter one. As soon as I started reading I was really confused. It sounded like an adult book and not at all like Louisa May Alcott. I checked the cover again and read a couple more pages. It was getting weirder and weirder, but I Memoria Press always chooses good books so I carried on. The next page had curse words. What?! I got out the curriculum guide to check that I had the right book and the page numbers assigned didn't make any sense. It said to start on page 7 and stop somewhere in the 60's. Our book started on 2 and was 133 pages long. Are we only reading part of it? Maybe that part doesn't have curse words? Finally, I flipped to the introduction and realized that it was talking about another author. I'm guessing you have figured out what was going on much quicker than I did. The cover was indeed An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving, but the pages inside was a totally different and not at all appropriate murder mystery. I was really starting to wonder about those Memoria Press folks. When Amazon delivers our new book we'll see what they have really picked for us.

    #2
    Re: Oops! Accidentally read the kids a murder mystery!

    It happens.

    Also, if you did buy the book from MP and you call them, they will make it right.

    Before MP, I used Sonlight for a decade. Among all those books and all those years, the situation you describe did happen to me... once. Not sure *how* the publisher makes that mistake, but when it does.... yikes!





    Jen
    DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

    DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

    DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

    DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

    All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

    Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Oops! Accidentally read the kids a murder mystery!

      Oh, heavens! Not what you expected indeed...although, I wonder if it was as bad as taking one of my children in for a blood test with the rest of the kids in tow, only to discover that the tv in the waiting room had a fascinating story about the recent People magazine cover...full of inappropriateness, I assure you!! I very quickly told them all to go for a walk - ANYWHERE - rather than continue sitting there. Scrub the ears, guys, scrub the ears!

      AMDG,
      Sarah
      2020-2021
      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
      DS, 17
      DD, 15
      DD, 13
      DD, 11
      DD, 9
      DD, 7
      +DS+
      DS, 2

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Oops! Accidentally read the kids a murder mystery!

        Hello.

        You have definitely got the wrong book. Sometimes, a printer will bind a book incorrectly, and that seems to be what has happened to you. If you bought it from us, we will gladly replace it. We purchase ours from Applewood Books, and the ones on our shelf now appear to really be Louisa May Alcott, so maybe this was just a fluke.

        Thank you for recognizing that we would not put a book into the hands of your students that has inappropriate content!

        Tanya

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Oops! Accidentally read the kids a murder mystery!

          Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
          Oh, heavens! Not what you expected indeed...although, I wonder if it was as bad as taking one of my children in for a blood test with the rest of the kids in tow, only to discover that the tv in the waiting room had a fascinating story about the recent People magazine cover...full of inappropriateness, I assure you!! I very quickly told them all to go for a walk - ANYWHERE - rather than continue sitting there. Scrub the ears, guys, scrub the ears!

          AMDG,
          Sarah

          Because we have family coming in town who are major Cowboy fans, last night we brought our only ancient TV upstairs and hooked it to an antenna my husband purchased so they can watch the game.. In the very short few minutes that my husband had it on to check the reception, my little onlookers witnessed two very inappropriate scenes back to back..on commercials! I was quickly reminded why we ridded ourselves of cable and network TV 6 years ago. Netflix is all we have here now. No commercials and I can make lists of acceptable viewings!

          I suppose I am going to have to get creative and find ways to keep the curious minds occupied while the game is on. "Here kids..come have more pie!"
          Katie

          DS 17: Senior!
          DD 14: 10th
          DD 10: 6th
          Twin DD's 8: 3rd
          Mix of MP, Co-op, TAN and traveling the U.S

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Oops! Accidentally read the kids a murder mystery!

            Channel flashback!!! That was what we always do to watch football - which is also the reason we have an antenna! Someone is on constant remote control duty to "be ready" to flash. Major drawback to the game. And spotty reception to boot. But we made it through the World Series! Hope you make it through the week!

            AMDG,
            Sarah
            2020-2021
            16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
            DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
            DS, 17
            DD, 15
            DD, 13
            DD, 11
            DD, 9
            DD, 7
            +DS+
            DS, 2

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Oops! Accidentally read the kids a murder mystery!

              ACK! Football gives me hives - not the game, but the commercials! My husband is a die-hard Giants fan and, whenever they're shown in our area (being in Dallas, this is tough), he and my ds watch the games. Imagine me standing at the kitchen sink and swallowing my teeth when I saw a scantily clad woman talking about a prescription medication and then, as dear husband fumbled with the remote, I heard my sweet boy ask his father about erectile dysfunction. "Dad, is that when you can't stand up straight?"

              Yes, son. That's precisely what ED means.
              Mary

              DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
              DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
              DD8 - SC level 2

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Oops! Accidentally read the kids a murder mystery!

                Commercials are precisely why we have a DVR. They are so rarely appropriate for anyone. I like that I can watch an hour show and gain back 20 minutes of my life by skipping through the commercials. The drug ads are among the worst. I would be ok dumping the TV, but for the sake of our marriage I have decided not to pick that battle. he is very flexible and accommodating of my whims and homeschool spending, etc but no TV might be too much for him.

                I have never received a different book from the cover. I thought you were going to say you had checked out a different book with the same title. I often worry about that one when checking out books.

                Dorinda
                Dorinda

                Plans for 2021-2022
                15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
                DD College Freshman
                DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
                DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
                DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Oops! Accidentally read the kids a murder mystery!

                  Originally posted by Bluemountainmama View Post
                  So this evening I sat down to read the kids their bedtime story. I grabbed An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving from the 4th grade read aloud set from the bookshelf and opened it up to chapter one. As soon as I started reading I was really confused. It sounded like an adult book and not at all like Louisa May Alcott. I checked the cover again and read a couple more pages. It was getting weirder and weirder, but I Memoria Press always chooses good books so I carried on. The next page had curse words. What?! I got out the curriculum guide to check that I had the right book and the page numbers assigned didn't make any sense. It said to start on page 7 and stop somewhere in the 60's. Our book started on 2 and was 133 pages long. Are we only reading part of it? Maybe that part doesn't have curse words? Finally, I flipped to the introduction and realized that it was talking about another author. I'm guessing you have figured out what was going on much quicker than I did. The cover was indeed An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving, but the pages inside was a totally different and not at all appropriate murder mystery. I was really starting to wonder about those Memoria Press folks. When Amazon delivers our new book we'll see what they have really picked for us.
                  So back to the OP...I am sorry this happened to you but I'm glad you said something. I often order read-alouds from Amazon (or HPB, AbeBooks or Alibris) - I will now double check what I've received to make sure it's what I ordered!

                  Did you contact Amazon about this or did you merely order a new copy?
                  Mary

                  DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
                  DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
                  DD8 - SC level 2

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Oops! Accidentally read the kids a murder mystery!

                    This is exactly why I've let go of football and rekindled my love of baseball. The MLB streaming on roku is commercial free. At least it was until this year. I was so upset they added commercials I demanded a refund and emailed a piece of my mind. I guess they listened, because they went back to commercial free. I will be a returning customer next year as long as they keep it that way.
                    Christina

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Oops! Accidentally read the kids a murder mystery!

                      We bought the book from Amazon and they did issue us a refund even though the return period had passed.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Oops! Accidentally read the kids a murder mystery!

                        Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
                        ACK! Football gives me hives - not the game, but the commercials! My husband is a die-hard Giants fan and, whenever they're shown in our area (being in Dallas, this is tough), he and my ds watch the games. Imagine me standing at the kitchen sink and swallowing my teeth when I saw a scantily clad woman talking about a prescription medication and then, as dear husband fumbled with the remote, I heard my sweet boy ask his father about erectile dysfunction. "Dad, is that when you can't stand up straight?"

                        Yes, son. That's precisely what ED means.
                        I need that laughing smiley face with the tears coming out of the eyes!...Too funny!
                        Tahara

                        Homeschooling two boys
                        DS -21 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, in college
                        DS -17 (9/04) (SN)
                        DS -15 (7/06)

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X