Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we overloaded for 8th?

Hello!

I am getting together a loose plan for my son next year so I can start budgeting the expenses.

The plan is for him to do the 8th grade Accelerated core mostly as written, subbing out classical studies for FMMA or Book of the Middle Ages (he hasn't done this yet) because he is studying the Iliad, Odyssey and Aeneid currently. He will be taking Third Form and MS Comp II through MPOA. He will also be doing Art and probably a Religion course at our co-op one half day a week. Our plan was to add First Form Greek next year, then go into the Biblical Greek sequence the following high school years.

I'm wondering if switching out the classical studies would free up a bit of time? Or..I thought about dropping science all together because he is a science kind of guy and reads physics and chem books for fun. I really want to make Greek fit next year, but certainly don't want to stress him out.

Any thoughts or ideas? Or is the 8th Accelerated package, 2 MPOA classes, plus Greek completely doable?

Thanks!
    Katie

DS 17: Senior!
    DD 14: 10th
    DD 10: 6th
    Twin DD's 8: 3rd
    Mix of MP, Co-op, TAN and traveling the U.S

Re: Are we overloaded for 8th?

Hi, Katie.

I think the Middle Ages study will definitely be easier than the Aeneid that is in the 8th grade package. So that will free some time and energy. And adding the MPOA classes doesn't really add work to your year - it just gets it done in a different way. At HLS, we don't have science in the 7th grade, and that is the year we add Greek. In 8th grade, we do Physical Science alongside our second year of Greek, but by then, the students are in Greek mode, so it seems to work.

Tanya

Comment

I just wanted to encourage you that it is doable, dd did not do Greek but she did do the 8A and a second language...and in addition to the regular schedule some outside art and medical science work so similar to the work load you are looking at and it worked well...
      DD - Graduated!
      DS - core 12 with remediation/support
      DD - core 9 with remediation/support
      DS - core 7 with remediation/support

Comment

The Book of the Middle Ages is scheduled with the literature for 8A or 9M, so unless you add in the guide, you're "economizing" there, too.
        Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my first cup of tea is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

2021-2022

DD (16) Appling to college. Mostly DE with a little MP to finish up homeschooling.

"School Administrator" to Bonus Kid (9): MP 3A

Comment

Katie,
          Third Form Latin and First Form Greek are going well together for my oldest this year. The latter he's doing mostly by himself with the DVDs and really enjoying it. It's roughly the workload of First Form Latin minus the effort of learning grammatical concepts. The synergy of the two has been really fun. Big downside: you can't write Greek in cursive. ;-) Upside: the alphabet is exotic and fun to play with. It really looks like another language.
          Enjoy!
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
          DS 12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
          DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
          DD 7th • HLN & Home
          DS 4th • HLN & Home
          Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
            Katie,
            Big downside: you can't write Greek in cursive. ;-)
            Enjoy!
            This was ds's big puzzlement in His Modern Greek studies and he was so frustrated that Greek was taking him longer to write he finally spoke with a Greek Auntie from our parish and she gave him tips on directionality and what not that helped him write more quickly though for the life of me I could not say what they were since I do not have a clue about his Greek work.
            DD - Graduated!
            DS - core 12 with remediation/support
            DD - core 9 with remediation/support
            DS - core 7 with remediation/support

Comment

Originally posted by bean View Post
              The Book of the Middle Ages is scheduled with the literature for 8A or 9M, so unless you add in the guide, you're "economizing" there, too.
              Ohhhh, I completely missed that. Cool!! Thanks for pointing that out.

[QUOTE=tanya;50748]Hi, Katie.

I think the Middle Ages study will definitely be easier than the Aeneid that is in the 8th grade package. So that will free some time and energy. And adding the MPOA classes doesn't really add work to your year - it just gets it done in a different way. At HLS, we don't have science in the 7th grade, and that is the year we add Greek. In 8th grade, we do Physical Science alongside our second year of Greek, but by then, the students are in Greek mode, so it seems to work.

Tanya[/Q
              This is good to know, thank you! He is currently taking an IEW writing course while we fill in the space before MPOA writing. The amount of work he is assigned takes him all of 20 minutes a week and he says it's super easy..so I know once he heads back to Classical Comp, that'll be a time adjustment.

Also, looking ahead, I am wondering if the Accelerated packages are going to be released by the time he is there? When do you anticipate the 9A and the rest of the accelerated packages ready? I could have him just go the standard 8 core to hopefully ensure he won't catch up to the release of the subsequent packages, but we both really like the content of the 8A.

Originally posted by MaggieAnnie View Post
              I just wanted to encourage you that it is doable, dd did not do Greek but she did do the 8A and a second language...and in addition to the regular schedule some outside art and medical science work so similar to the work load you are looking at and it worked well...
              Glad to hear it worked for her! I know my bright guy is completely capable of the content, he is just the distractible type so it does take a bit more time for him to complete his work.

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
              Katie,
              Third Form Latin and First Form Greek are going well together for my oldest this year. The latter he's doing mostly by himself with the DVDs and really enjoying it. It's roughly the workload of First Form Latin minus the effort of learning grammatical concepts. The synergy of the two has been really fun. Big downside: you can't write Greek in cursive. ;-) Upside: the alphabet is exotic and fun to play with. It really looks like another language.
              Enjoy!
              Well my dreams of him having beautiful cursive are just about lost. He writes in all cursive and quite fast, its just illegible. So maybe a different letter formation altogether could be the ticket! Good to know the DVD's are a big help..we will certainly use those because although Mom has ambitious dreams of learning Greek alongside him, I barely squeeze my Latin studies in each day.
              Katie

DS 17: Senior!
              DD 14: 10th
              DD 10: 6th
              Twin DD's 8: 3rd
              Mix of MP, Co-op, TAN and traveling the U.S

Comment

Working...
              X