Prima Latina Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prima Latina Test

My 2nd grader is overdue for his first Prima Test. When I mention the test, he gets very nervous. I've tried explaining its just a way to help me measure what he knows. Today, I pulled it out and showed it to him and went over every question orally. He got all but two correct. This seems to have calmed his nerves a bit. I'm wondering where to go from here. I want him to take the test, to help him get acclimated with testing. He does take spelling tests, but has not reacted like this before. I'm not sure if he could spell everything correctly on his Prima Test, so I would even be glad to sit and dictate spellings for him after he tells me the answer. I guess I'm curious what the best route to take is?

Sorry for the jumbled thoughts. I have two karate students practicing for their green belt tests around me and a K'er trying to type her name on my screen!
    Joyfully, Courtney
    DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

Re: Prima Latina Test

Originally posted by RunnerJoy View Post
    My 2nd grader is overdue for his first Prima Test. When I mention the test, he gets very nervous. I've tried explaining its just a way to help me measure what he knows. Today, I pulled it out and showed it to him and went over every question orally. He got all but two correct. This seems to have calmed his nerves a bit. I'm wondering where to go from here. I want him to take the test, to help him get acclimated with testing. He does take spelling tests, but has not reacted like this before. I'm not sure if he could spell everything correctly on his Prima Test, so I would even be glad to sit and dictate spellings for him after he tells me the answer. I guess I'm curious what the best route to take is?

Sorry for the jumbled thoughts. I have two karate students practicing for their green belt tests around me and a K'er trying to type her name on my screen!
    I would count doing it orally as having done the test! I didn't stress spelling in Prima, but I'm probably in the minority there. I do need to start emphasizing it more in Latina Christiana.

One of my older boys has never tested well, but when we started using Quizlet he got the idea to test himself. He thoroughly surprised himself when he got a 100% on his self-test. He now often pre-tests himself if he's unsure about how he'll do. It's really helped his confidence.

You might want to say, rather than the test being a "measure", that it's just a way for both you and him to know what he's mastered and what you need to work on together some more. This is also how I explain grades to my kids.
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
    DS18: Almost done!
    DS17: MP, MPOA
    DS15: MP, MPOA
    DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
    DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
    DD9: SC3
    DD6: MPK

Comment

In addition to oral practices, try taking practice tests on white boards. That will help with spelling of the words. Also consider giving an oral vocab test each week!

Blessings,
      Michelle T

Comment

FWIW, I don't do any testing in Prima with my crew. We just memorize the words and try to use them as much as possible. Having the third child starting Latin has actually really helped with the kids trying more Latin aloud in the house. They get into correcting each other, or adding more words. It is pretty fun with all their different levels and vocabularies!
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
        12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
        10th • HLN, Latin online
        7th • HLN & Home
        4th • HLN & Home
        Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

We still haven't taken the first test either, but we have started doing the 'tests' on Quizlet for practice. You can customize them - start with multiple choice and move to fill in the blank. My youngest thinks it quite fun, and she is determined to make it to 100%. I rather like Jessica's idea of skipping the tests for Prima, so if we can achieve mastery with Quizlet, we'll see about that.
          DD 17 | 12th
          DS 15 | 9th
          DD 13 | 8th
          2021-2022

13th Year HSing, 9th Year MP

Comment

Originally posted by jenniferjb View Post
            We still haven't taken the first test either, but we have started doing the 'tests' on Quizlet for practice. You can customize them - start with multiple choice and move to fill in the blank. My youngest thinks it quite fun, and she is determined to make it to 100%. I rather like Jessica's idea of skipping the tests for Prima, so if we can achieve mastery with Quizlet, we'll see about that.
            Good point -- I should have clarified that we didn't do any testing in Prima either. Just an oral recitation at the end of the week where I would give either the Latin word or the English translation. Even though I was using Prima with a 4th, 6th and 7th grader, I wanted to keep it simple and just focus on the exposure to Latin. It seems to have worked. They're all in LC or FFL now, depending on age, and actually enjoying Latin even though we're now doing all the drills, quizzes and tests!
            Jennifer
            Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
            DS18: Almost done!
            DS17: MP, MPOA
            DS15: MP, MPOA
            DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
            DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
            DD9: SC3
            DD6: MPK

Comment

Working...