Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latin - indirect object placement & verb translations

I have two questions relating to latin:

1) In SFL lesson eight, excercise B we weren't sure where to place the direct object (DO).The TM places the DO in the middle of the English translation. For example, in the TM the English translation is written 'HSI gave you a horse', whereas we translated it as 'HSI gave a horse to you'. Is this just a nuanced difference? Or does placing it at the end put more emphasis on the DO and therefore change the meaning?

2) My second question pertains to the translation and memorization of the verb translations. My daughter is having a hard time remembering the English translations off hand. I have made a chart with translations, but I was wondering if there was a way to solidify this knowledge, or will she be working more on verbs through the rest of SF and therefore I shouldn't worry?
    Catherine

Dd - 13 - 8A
    Dd - 11 - 6A

Re: Latin - indirect object placement & verb translations

Originally posted by Aquila View Post
    I have two questions relating to latin:

1) In SFL lesson eight, excercise B we weren't sure where to place the direct object (DO).The TM places the DO in the middle of the English translation. For example, in the TM the English translation is written 'HSI gave you a horse', whereas we translated it as 'HSI gave a horse to you'. Is this just a nuanced difference? Or does placing it at the end put more emphasis on the DO and therefore change the meaning?

2) My second question pertains to the translation and memorization of the verb translations. My daughter is having a hard time remembering the English translations off hand. I have made a chart with translations, but I was wondering if there was a way to solidify this knowledge, or will she be working more on verbs through the rest of SF and therefore I shouldn't worry?
    1) You can translate direct and indirect objects into English as "Verb DO to IO" or "Verb IO DO." Both are correct.

2) Is she having trouble remembering the meanings of individual verbs (e.g. amo is "I love" but voco is "I call"), or the meanings of the tenses (e.g. amo is "I love" but amabam is "I was loving")? Mastering vocabulary is the key to the former. For the latter, first make sure she understands what the different tenses mean in English. Once she has mastered that, focus on linking those English meanings to the Latin endings. There are tricks for this, e.g. "ba" indicates imperfect, while "bo/bi/bu" indicates future.

Does that help?

Comment

Re: Latin - indirect object placement & verb translations

She doesn't have a problem remembering the meanings of the individual verbs, but the meanings of the tenses. I think I will try and review the English meanings of the verb tenses and then, as you say, link those to the latin endings. Hopefully, that will help. Thank you, again.
      Catherine

Dd - 13 - 8A
      Dd - 11 - 6A

Comment

Working...
      X