Keeping up with MP during a move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping up with MP during a move

We've just learned that we'll be making a job change and therefore a move. I'm trying to focus on the positive (having options is a blessing in and of itself), and reading about the amount of transition you've all weathered with grace (even to and from Asia!) has been very helpful.

I'm having trouble keeping up with all subjects since we've gotten the news. I'm thinking about scaling back to Latin, math, and whatever else we can work in between numerous phone calls and distractions. I'm concerned about losing ground with our other topics (like FMOR, geography, etc.) without ongoing review, but I need to be realistic. Any suggestions for the core topics to focus on during this period if we scale back to the bare minimum? Just Latin, math, composition each day?

I appreciate any wisdom you'd like to share!
    DD 15 - MP 9

Re: Keeping up with MP during a move

I only have a second to respond, but perhaps you could go into review mode on these non-core classes, like Famous Men. You could use flashcards or Quizlet or drill questions for review so that you don't lose any ground, but not press ahead with trying to acquire new material. Just a thought. Keeping the routine of work for your child can be helpful, especially if they are working while you can get some other logistical things done (I'm thinking of Latin workbook and Math work--things that you don't do "at elbow").

Congratulations on the move! Praying grace for daily work.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
    DS Hillsdale College freshman
    DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
    DD 8th • HLN & Home
    DS 5th • HLN & Home
    Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
    Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

We have done quite a bit of moving; however, we have been blessed to have spent the last 4 years in the same spot. Hallelujah! That being said, our year has been upside down because of dd11's illness, medical travel and seemingly endless phone calls, emails and trips to the post office to send off faxes. Of course, like you, some of those phone calls are not conversations that I can put off until it's convenient for me. When a doctor (or realtor) calls, you must pick up or face waiting days for another opportunity to speak (or worse, miss out on an offer!). I'll tell you what we've been doing around here in the hope that something we do may work for you. Take what's helpful and leave the rest.

Most recently, I was gone with my oldest for nearly 2 weeks, during which time my younger two were cared for by relatives. Because we were separated, the subjects my kids study together (CSII, Geography II, EGRII and CC Fables) were out the window. I simply put them on hold. Also, my ds9 is taking FFL - while my family is able to keep him on track with subjects like math and spelling, I can't ask my mother to take the reins and dive into FFL without warning. Seriously, I actually like her. *cracks up laughing*

Instead, I sent him with his math and spelling books and his CS (Old Testament), Latin and Geo flashcards so that he could study on his own. Additionally, I invested in the LC Review book and teacher guide. Instead of asking him to go into uncharted Latin waters by himself, I had him do 2 or 3 pages of Latin review each day in his LC book. My mom or sister would check his answers (all of which were correct, btw!) - he felt confident because he knew the material, it was a great review for him and this, coupled with his FFL vocab flashcards kept his mind "in" Latin even while not moving forward with daily FFL lessons.

Same with my dd5. She took her little arithmetic book and some of her read-alouds with her; however, instead of asking my family to continue on with phonics work, I invested in a couple of Kumon workbooks - mazes and uppercase letters. She had some fun and kept her mind sharp while not having the stress (for her or my family) of trying to plow forward with phonics outside of her usual routine.

As for my oldest daughter, while she was having testing/appointments at Mayo, we'd work on our "What's That Bird?" lessons together in waiting rooms and I'd quiz her with Latin flashcards. She was not in a place where she could to intensive study like FMMA, so I let that go for a week. Instead, I'd read her the passages and we'd go over the questions orally. I also kept up with her read-aloud selection.

When we're home, I am doing my best to keep up with their usual work. If the phone rings, I ask them to either finish reading a passage aloud, to review their flashcards or simply to take a break. Our days do not look like they once did - I am not always tidily finishing "together" work by lunchtime. In fact, we are often meeting at various times to do Geography or Christian Studies; however, one thing that the kids have learned is that life does not always go our way and I only interrupt our studies when it's something important. They trust that I'm doing what needs to be done and not sitting on Facebook when I ought to be helping them. *FYI: I'm not even on FB, but we still make jokes about it.*

You may wish to keep flashcards around for review so that the kids can review and cement concepts in their minds while you're busy on the phone. If your kids are okay with it, perhaps you could teach lessons, as you are able, and just let them know ahead of time that if the phone rings, they need to go to Plan B (flashcards, another subject that can be done independently, other activities that relate to MP that will keep them sharp...). I think the key factor here is letting your kids know that life dictates a bit of a funky schedule right now and that you are working hard to give your family a good home and a smooth transition.

This may mean that some subjects need to be completed over the summer or finished next year. It's totally okay - the most important lesson is that when life throws you lemons, the whole family pitches in to make lemonade. <3
      Last edited by Mary; 10-24-2016, 02:52 PM.
      Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
      DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
      DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Hi!

We started our move on July 5th and moved into our house this past Thursday. We unpacked all weekend, and today I was able to open up to Week 8 and just get 'er done. Honestly, using the MP core plans was a large part of what made our move successful.

That said, I feel like part of my success was that I used my planner to block out times/weeks that nothing but the move would take place. My son played with toys or read books during that time. Depending on how you want to do it, the kids could be responsible for only review (flash cards, etc) or completing 1 day of the schedule across 2 days of the week. I strung a week together by calling each school day "week 6, day 1", "week 6, day 2", etc. Doing that, I was able to make some days MOVE DAYS only, and some days SCHOOL DAYS only, and other days HALF/HALF DAYS. The secret, for me, was to use my planner, then commit to it. I might be able to look only a week out at a time, but I tried to schedule realistically within my time frame.

For context, and so you can see a worst case:

July 4th: holiday

July 5th - 7th: pack out, clean, turn keys in, finalize paperwork

July 8th: fly to USA

July 9th - 28th: vacation with family we haven't seen in years

July 29th: drive to D.C, check into hotel

July 29 - Aug 24th: summer vacation in a hotel, in D.C (house hunt)

Aug 25th: check 3rd child into college (house hunt)

Aug 29th: first day of school, in the hotel (house hunt)

Sept 2nd - Found a house!

Sept 3rd - Oct 11: homeschool and calls, paperwork, endless minutia

Oct 12th: lose funding to stay in the hotel, live in SIL's basement, homeschool

Oct 19th: close on house (day off school)

Oct 20th: take delivery of HHG (day off school); only 2-3 pieces of furniture completely unsalvageable, yay.

Oct 21 - 23: unpack

Oct 24: Week 8, day 1

This probably wasn't all that helpful to you, but it was somewhat cathartic for me to type all of that out.

Jen
        DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

Jen,
          Whoa.
          Pouring an extra glass of wine on your behalf this evening. Cheers to you for getting it all done! And - welcome home.

OP...we did a ton of moving even though we were not military. We were corporate food manufacturing, so we moved from facility to facility. It would be April, November, January - you name it when the transfer would come. As others have said, you just make it work. For these big changes, I preferred an all-or-nothing approach. When we did school, we did school, and I did not really cut entire subjects. I just kept my expectations realistic for whatever was going on that day. Because some of the things you could plan (like a whole day off) and some of the things you couldn't (like phone calls).

A lot of what I altered were my expectations. We may have had to be in a "you did this and it is checked off even if I did not go over it with you" mode. Hopefully not for long stretches, but sometimes it was necessary. I still do that nearly every day with some one in some thing - just because there are not enough minutes in the day to catch every one in every thing.

Try not to worry too much. Things like babies and moves are such huge life events that you need to enjoy the entire process and not stress over any of it. And keep in mind summer breaks are not set in stone either. If you are carrying over, it's really not a big deal. Finish when you finish.

God bless your move! Anywhere exciting? We lived in six different states - and have at least one baby from each one!

AMDG,
          Sarah
          2020-2021
          16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
          DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
          DS, 17
          DD, 15
          DD, 13
          DD, 11
          DD, 9
          DD, 7
          +DS+
          DS, 2

Comment

This thread is incredibly timed for me! My last two weeks have been adjusting to the same news, first round of decluttering and boxing, and trying to fit school in. My 7th grader has three online classes that are musts. He keeps up with those no matter what. He works on his planner in order for the rest. Sometimes more slowly than I'd prefer, but as my husband pointed out, we'll go through summer if needed.

My 4A boy had to keep up with his Latin (Cottage School) and Lit (co-op). I had him use a review math book from one level below, spelling, and his pouch of flash cards. He also listened to his read-aloud on kindle. Today was his first day back on his full load.

So for me it depends on the student. One student I can trust to move along on his own. The other student I have to give him review work in one sense or another until I can handle pushing him through his work. I'm actually going to come up with more of a plan for that: review grammar rules from EGI, etc.
            Christina

Comment

We are moving too! Internationally! But home to DC so YAY!

We had the advantage of warning, so take that with a grain of salt. But, we are doing the pretty much cold turkey approach. We started school in July and will complete week 16 on Veterans Day. At that point I will put aside school to pack. We might do flashcards. Then again I will have a two year old in a hotel. November and December are going to be lost to house hunting and visiting relatives and house hunting and car hunting, etc. But our biggest problem is that with a 2, 4, 6, and 8 year old we are packing toys and CAR SEATS and the toddler's travel bed and the school books are going to be on the slow boat because we physically cannot carry that much with us. It would not fit in a rental minivan with six people! But, frankly, the worst that will happen is that we end up taking the better part of three months off. They we be rusty like they just took a summer vacation. So we will review. And we will likely still finish by August. We will take two or three weeks off, start the new year, and next year, we will NOT have an international move...so ultimately it doesn't matter than we started the year "late." If you have time, try to prevent rust. If not, you recover and move on. In the end it is like toddler development, if they are healthy the fact that they walk late or talk late isn't going to matter when they are seven. This school year can take fifteen months. It won't matter by the time they hit high school. That is the wonder of homeschool!

Lena

Comment

We are moving too! Internationally! But home to DC so YAY!
                YAY, indeed. This is the first time we've lived in VA since 1993, and full time in the USA since 2005. Frankly, I'm finding D.C. a bit overwhelming.

We had the advantage of warning, so take that with a grain of salt. But, we are doing the pretty much cold turkey approach. We started school in July and will complete week 16 on Veterans Day. At that point I will put aside school to pack.
                Same. However, just because you KNOW you are going to move makes no difference if you don't have the orders in hand so that you can begin to arrange it. We rec'd orders only 5 days before our packout, even knowing that we NEEDED to leave NLT 8JUL.

November and December are going to be lost to house hunting and visiting relatives and house hunting and car hunting, etc.

LOL, see above.

But our biggest problem is that with a 2, 4, 6, and 8 year old we are packing toys and CAR SEATS and the toddler's travel bed and the school books are going to be on the slow boat because we physically cannot carry that much with us. It would not fit in a rental minivan with six people!
                I know, right?! Going through the airport during an international move is an exercise in humility.

But, frankly, the worst that will happen is that we end up taking the better part of three months off. They we be rusty like they just took a summer vacation. So we will review. And we will likely still finish by August.
                Very wise! Our move ended up taking 3.5 months, mostly to close on a house. If you want to rent on militarybyowner, you might shorten that a bit.

We will take two or three weeks off, start the new year, and next year, we will NOT have an international move...so ultimately it doesn't matter than we started the year "late." If you have time, try to prevent rust. If not, you recover and move on. In the end it is like toddler development, if they are healthy the fact that they walk late or talk late isn't going to matter when they are seven. This school year can take fifteen months. It won't matter by the time they hit high school. That is the wonder of homeschool!
                Excellent philosophy! You got this, sister.

Jen, who once moved 4 times in 4 years in our Navy career and whose kids say, "Home is where Mom lives."
                DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

Jen,

Our advantage wasn't early orders so much as knowing that the move was coming mid year. I started the school year early and we have plowed hard for the first half. I feel way ahead, but in two months it will invert and we will be behind. My advantage is that we came to germany from DC where we still have our church membership and a real estate agent that we know personally. Plus, for a biggish family that home schools, Germany is not a comfortable social environment. We are really looking forward to being HOME. Plus, an endless road trip gives me the opportunity to potty train the toddler on someone else's carpet. The weirdest part is that this post has been our longest post ever. The baby has never moved before. We get to rock all of their worlds doing something very normal for us parents.

Lena

Comment

Lena,
                    Yay for DC! Lots of community down the road in F'burg! Hopefully we can all connect when your dust settles!

AMDG,
                    Sarah
                    2020-2021
                    DS, 17
                    DD, 15
                    DD, 13
                    DD, 11
                    DD, 9
                    DD, 7
                    +DS+
                    DS, 2

Comment

Last year we did this. All told we were off of school for over a month. I had planned for this by starting earlier in the year, but it still stunk to try to pick back up with everything in May. At any rate, because of my particular struggles I recommend, even if everything else goes by the wayside, not letting kids forget their math facts or Latin vocab. Teaching it once is hard enough, and teaching them for a second time while living in TLF is maddening.
                      Jodi
                      ~~~~~~~
                      2019-20 School Year:
                      Ethan (7A)
                      Matthew (5A)
                      Silas (1st)
                      Eleanor (4yo dabbling in PK as time allows)
                      Andrew (brand new as of Oct 2019)

Comment

Originally posted by Jen in Japan View Post
                        Frankly, I'm finding D.C. a bit overwhelming.
                        This made me chuckle because this feeling is exactly why we ended up renting in Southern Maryland among the horse farms and cornfields!! I could not handle another tour in NoVA. DH ended up with a long drive, although it is mostly moving traffic rather than gridlock, and driving around to do errands does not give me tension headaches.
                        Jodi
                        ~~~~~~~
                        2019-20 School Year:
                        Ethan (7A)
                        Matthew (5A)
                        Silas (1st)
                        Eleanor (4yo dabbling in PK as time allows)
                        Andrew (brand new as of Oct 2019)

Comment

Have to agree completely. We went up to the zoo once after much prodding on my part. Had a large plate of crow to eat on the way home. (Big van + street parking + multi block walk with six kids, a double stroller, and a wagon of picnic gear = hugely frustrating day for all)

Now we act like DC is on the far side of the moon rather than only an hour away.

AMDG,
                          Sarah
                          2020-2021
                          DS, 17
                          DD, 15
                          DD, 13
                          DD, 11
                          DD, 9
                          DD, 7
                          +DS+
                          DS, 2

Comment

I can't thank you all enough for your suggestions and for sharing your stories. The fact that you've all weathered and thrived during multiple moves, international moves, and medical travel is very inspiring to me and helpful for me to focus on. Mary, although you don't know me, I've followed your posts and admire your ability to maintain your humor and your compassion for so many others while helping your daughter and your other children. I will keep your family in my prayers. Sarah, I met you at Sodalitas (you met many, so you may not remember me) and find the wisdom woven through your posts very helpful to me as well. Jen -- you are amazing in your ability to maintain your sanity and sharp wit throughout your transitions!

Anyway, thank you ladies. I will take your suggestions and try to make peace with ratcheting back to whatever we can accomplish during our transition. This is our 7th move in 9 years, so we should be able to handle the logistics like professionals : ) -- I'm mostly concerned with being sensitive to my daughter's emotions and preventing brain atrophy at the same time (hers, I mean -- I'm afraid mine may already have set in!)

Blessings to all of you for your kind thoughts.
                            DD 15 - MP 9

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
                              Have to agree completely. We went up to the zoo once after much prodding on my part. Had a large plate of crow to eat on the way home. (Big van + street parking + multi block walk with six kids, a double stroller, and a wagon of picnic gear = hugely frustrating day for all)

Now we act like DC is on the far side of the moon rather than only an hour away.

AMDG,
                              Sarah
                              I've had years where I was the opposite and years where I agree. I've taken in all the free Smithsonian sites several times over. I try to never drive in D.C. I prefer to just get on the VRE/metro. Strollers are tougher on the commuter trains. My daughter and I hit the National Gallery of Art and the first thing she said when we walked in was, "Oh Mom look! The Thinker!!!" Then we found Romulus and Remus and she knew the entire story. Meanwhile some very confused men were making comments that showed they had no idea what that statue was about. All I could think was, "Ahhhhhhhh I love Memoria Press." The children's audio tour in the Gallery is awesome. It has the neatest stories.
                              Christina

Comment

Working...
                              X