Other schools like Highlands??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other schools like Highlands??

Are there other schools in other states like HLS? I LOVE the MP material and the structure of the school week (few days each at home/school.) I don't even know what to look for or how to search. Are these types of schools called cottage schools? I recently ran across the term University Model School. Is that it? There is a public school that does a similar weekly structure (two days in school, rest at home), but only for high school and with a PS curriculum.

Re: Other schools like Highlands??

Yes! A great place to start is the Classical Latin School Association at http://classicallatin.org/membership/member-schools/ to find member schools across the country. Partner member schools are implementing the entire MP Core Curriculum while Standard Member Schools are using some of it. Most, if not all, of the partner member schools are four/five day schools.

Our little one day school in Nashville is a Standard Member because we only meet one day a week offer four courses for third grade and up along with one day of the academic week for K-2. We are an "HLS Cottage School" for this reason. University Model Schools is actually a trademarked/certified variety of partial-week school.

A note: HLS Louisville does meet four days per week for third through 12th grade, so it's not a hybrid at that point, but a full school. The primary classes start at 2 days a week and ramp up through second grade. HLS in Carmel, Indiana offers three and four-day options.

Hope this helps! Just let us know where you are and what you are looking for (full school, hybrid, one day school) and perhaps someone from CLSA can help you find a good match.
    Warmly,
    Last edited by pickandgrin; 10-19-2016, 10:20 AM.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
    DS 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE math/sci - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
    DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
    DD 7th • HLN & Home
    DS 4th • HLN & Home
    Me • Memoria College, this summer: MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching TFL and co-directing @
    Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Originally posted by scrapper4life View Post
      Are there other schools in other states like HLS? I LOVE the MP material and the structure of the school week (few days each at home/school.) I don't even know what to look for or how to search. Are these types of schools called cottage schools? I recently ran across the term University Model School. Is that it? There is a public school that does a similar weekly structure (two days in school, rest at home), but only for high school and with a PS curriculum.
      Great question! As already mentioned, the CLSA website would be a great place to start. There are a number of 1 day/week schools using the MP curriculum that are not member schools, and therefore would not be on the CLSA site. Because terminology varies from region to region an internet search can be difficult. If you are unable to find something in your area, you can certainly email me at [email protected] and I can help.

Best,

Comment

Thank you for your replies!

I looked at the listing you linked to and there is nothing close to me. And by close, I mean, same state

I am looking for a hybrid or one-day option in Northeast Ohio. I did reply to Ryan's kind offer via email.

Thank you all for your help. The more I learn about MP, the more I love it.

Comment

Another thing to keep in mind is to start one.....
          Just planting that little seed.
          AMDG,
          Sarah
          2020-2021
          16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
          DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
          DS, 17
          DD, 15
          DD, 13
          DD, 11
          DD, 9
          DD, 7
          +DS+
          DS, 2

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
            Another thing to keep in mind is to start one.....
            Just planting that little seed.
            AMDG,
            Sarah
            Chiming in here to water that seed! Your oldest student is in K/1st? I'm trying to remember from your other post on Katy's thread. An idea from what we are doing in Nashville is that, if you can find a little handful of students the same age/grade as your child, you can gather on Mondays and simply work through all the MP work for "Monday" in the lesson plan. They do the academic portion before lunch and the entire week's enrichment activities after lunch. Then families do the Tues/Friday work at home. Our K-2 is from 8AM to 3:30PM on Mondays with a 30 minute recess in the morning as well as the afternoon (old fashioned games, open play, etc. in a gym) along with a 30 minute lunch with the whole school. It is a drop-off program so there are no extra parents or siblings around.

If your group is small enough, you could run it more casually and take turns teaching different things and it not cost anyone money. If you want to pay one of the moms, that person could prepare the lessons and lead the children through.

The fall is an ideal time to start thinking about next year and seeing if you could round up others to join you. One note: we did require that families in the primary classes use the entire MP core curriculum at home. Otherwise it would be total chaos for the teacher with children in different arithmetic programs, writing programs, phonics programs, etc.

I do have a MP contact from Northwest Ohio, if you'd like to be put in touch. It's the wrong direction, but at least it's the right half of your state! You can send me a direct message or fill out the form here.
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

DS 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE math/sci - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
            DD 7th • HLN & Home
            DS 4th • HLN & Home

Comment

Jessica, how do you sign up to have your area featured on Sodalitas?...I see a few areas, but would love to find other families near me...
              Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
              DS -21 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, in college
              DS -17 (9/04) (SN)
              DS -15 (7/06)

Comment

If you want me to set you up, I will! I'm not sure much traffic goes through there, but so many families hope to connect locally. This was a tiny start to fulfilling that hope.
                Festina lentē,
                Jessica P

DD 7th • HLN & Home
                DS 4th • HLN & Home

Comment

Anyone near Knoxville, TN that would be interested in getting together? I have 4th and 7th graders.
                  We are late starters to MP, so our Latin is PL and FFL right now. I am considering Novare Physical Science next year.
                  Thanks,
                  Susan
                  Susan
                  6th grade, Geo II, Christian III, 6th lit and read alouds (mostly), SOTW 2, Birds, RSO Bio 2, Spanish
                  9th grade, SFL, Biology, BJU US History, Alg 1, 10th grade lit, Ever Ancient 2 Art

Comment

Susan,
                    You might want to add your post to this thread as well:
                    http://forum.memoriapress.com/showth...nning-dialogue

Best wishes for finding a few interested families!
                    Festina lentē,
                    Jessica P

DD 7th • HLN & Home
                    DS 4th • HLN & Home

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                      If you want me to set you up, I will! I'm not sure much traffic goes through there, but so many families hope to connect locally. This was a tiny start to fulfilling that hope.
                      Hi Jessica...Yes, please set me up! :-)
                      Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
                      DS -21 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, in college
                      DS -17 (9/04) (SN)
                      DS -15 (7/06)

Comment

Working...
                      X