Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CiRCE Winter Regional Conference in Louisville, Jan 20-21, 2017!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CiRCE Winter Regional Conference in Louisville, Jan 20-21, 2017!!

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
    I am picking up the phone now to call the GHC director and have you put in charge of vendor hall booths. Your job will be to turn down everyone except MP and Books in Bloom...and to set up a on-site sconery. (I just made that word up but it's so pleasant, isn't it? "I'll be back in a bit - just have to jet down to the sconery for some treats to enjoy with my coffee.")

Do I count, even though I defected to Texas? So glad to "see" you again, Tahara!
    Of course you count but you can't ride with me!
    Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
    DS -21 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, in college
    DS -17 (9/04) (SN)
    DS -15 (7/06)

Comment

Originally posted by The Autumn Oak View Post
      Of course you count but you can't ride with me!
      I fail to see the problem. Dallas is right on your route. *cracks up laughing*
      Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
      DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
      DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

I'd say swing down here to grab me....but crossing the mountains to get to Kentucky in January - ugh!!! Treacherous!

AMDG,
        Sarah

ETA: As a former ball player (only girl on little league for years) I can say I still miss my favorite bat. These are glory days for those boys. We missed you - but time well spent.
        Last edited by KF2000; 09-19-2016, 06:21 PM.
        2020-2021
        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
        DS, 17
        DD, 15
        DD, 13
        DD, 11
        DD, 9
        DD, 7
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

Geek out! Wendell Berry is coming to read us a story! Tickets are available to only this part, even if you aren't doing the conference...locals? Anyone?

https://www.circeinstitute.org/confe...-wendell-berry
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
          DS Hillsdale College freshman
          DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
          DD 8th • HLN & Home
          DS 5th • HLN & Home
          Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
          Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Jumping up and down over here! SQUEEE!!

I already have my conference ticket...now off to make that flight reservation. Glad I waited for the Southwest fare sale!
            Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

One of these days I'll get to attend a conference, but that leaving-children-home-alone-is-illegal technicality affects our household too. This conference does sound excellent. Are recordings generally available for purchase?
              Drew-- MP 1st
              Augustine-- Using consumables from SC B as prep for Jr. K
              Margot-- 2 years old
              Gregory-- 7 months old

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica View Post
                One of these days I'll get to attend a conference, but that leaving-children-home-alone-is-illegal technicality affects our household too. This conference does sound excellent. Are recordings generally available for purchase?
                Jessica, yes, they almost always sell bundled recordings from conferences and/or individual talks.

And, just noticed your location. I was just in Scottsboro a few weeks ago for vacation! Love that lake.
                Last edited by pickandgrin; 10-04-2016, 03:19 PM.
                Festina lentē,
                Jessica P

DD 8th • HLN & Home
                DS 5th • HLN & Home

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                  Jessica, yes, they almost always sell bundled recordings from conferences and/or individual talks.

And, just noticed your location. I was just in Scottsboro a few weeks ago for vacation! Love that lake.
                  Thank you, I'll have to look into recordings. And yes, Lake Guntersville is lovely. 😊
                  Drew-- MP 1st
                  Augustine-- Using consumables from SC B as prep for Jr. K
                  Margot-- 2 years old
                  Gregory-- 7 months old

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
                    Jumping up and down over here! SQUEEE!!

I already have my conference ticket...now off to make that flight reservation. Glad I waited for the Southwest fare sale!
                    Funny, I just got that SW email and now that I know the fly-into-Indy trick I figured out it would only cost me $120 to get out there that weekend.

Hmmm....we are highly motivated to be saving money right now, but...Hmmm....
                    Jodi
                    ~~~~~~~
                    2019-20 School Year:
                    Ethan (7A)
                    Matthew (5A)
                    Silas (1st)
                    Eleanor (4yo dabbling in PK as time allows)
                    Andrew (brand new as of Oct 2019)

Comment

Oh, JodiSue, it would be SO much fun to see you!

We, too, are in penny-pinching mode. My hotel/ticket is a Christmas gift from my parents/husband...that, combined with SW points, makes it possible for me to go.
                      Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

This has been in the back of my mind since the email landed in my inbox. I would love, love, love to attend! The only thing holding me back is the fact that it's 8 days after our DisneyWorld trip. That's barely enough time to get the laundry done, sort the mail and stock the refrigerator. I can't even imagine...
                        Gina
                        Honored & Blessed to be teaching my children at home
                        (since 2001)

DS-sophomore in college
                        DD-soon-to-be college freshman!
                        DD-9
                        DS-8

Comment

And Wendell Berry!!!! So excited, even if it means traveling to the other side of the country!

Looks like I'm going to have to choose between attending this with a local friend or going alone to MP this summer. What would you do?
                          Jen H
                          DD 7 years old, 2nd grade
                          DS 5 yrs old, Jr K

Comment

Originally posted by RanchMom View Post
                            And Wendell Berry!!!! So excited, even if it means traveling to the other side of the country!

Looks like I'm going to have to choose between attending this with a local friend or going alone to MP this summer. What would you do?
                            Ooooh, that's a tough one. I think the deciding factors would come down to:

1. What you would hope to gain from each
                            a. Are there subjects you could use some help teaching through MP and/or do you crave the support of other MP parents/staff?
                            b. Are you looking for more of an intellectual getaway aimed at edifying your own soul rather than focused on teaching?
                            **Of course, we could combine the two if there are enough MP people at the CiRCE convention. Think MP After-Party each night!**
                            2. Cost
                            a. Is there a major difference in transportation costs? (Is airfare cheaper in July vs. January?)
                            b. Ticket/lodging/incidentals - is one significantly more than the other?

Of course, when it comes to geeking out like this, I am not above trying to finagle my way to BOTH. *cracks up laughing*
                            Last edited by Mary; 10-05-2016, 04:03 PM. Reason: My outline looks terrible! Why won't the spacing work?
                            Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Ranchmom,

(I'm letting my personal bias flow freely here...)

I would come to MP this summer for either the Sodalitas Gathering (July 10-11) and/or the MP Teacher Training (July 12-13). There is an additional day of "between-conference" trainings that are available for an assortment of focuses: Latin, Composition, Cursive, etc. Depending on how long you can stay you could soak up an entire week of Memoria Press-specific training and encouragement. Sodalitas will be more like it was the first year, with it happening all by itself. It will provide more opportunity for us as homeschoolers to get face to face time with our beloved MP/HLS staff and friends. Having it separate also takes a lot of the pressure off trying to mesh two un-meshable schedules. Last summer was a little clunky for that reason, with more hiking between buildings and eating quickly than all concerned preferred. It was challenging for the MP staff because they were being pulled two ways with two completely separate sets of logistics to handle. We gave the simultaneous conference idea a whirl and learned from it.

It's really the MP-specific training and encouragement that makes me recommend this summer in Louisville over a CiRCE conference. CiRCE is wonderful, they really are, and provide hearty intellectual fodder. That's why I'm going. I need to sit in a chair as a participant, take notes, and be philosophically refreshed. I know that will happen in January. But for parents of younger children (which it seems you are one), the training in how to use the MP materials specifically in your homeschool isn't something you're going to glean at CiRCE. The forum is excellent, but it can't mimic the face to face sharing that happens when we all gather for a few days and talk. The sessions are crafted to the participants and there is plenty of opportunity for questions. It's far from two days of sitting and listening. We laugh and eat and cry together. I can guarantee that you can be both philosophically refreshed and equipped for your homeschool at MP.

Alrighty, biased sales pitch over! You know yourself best and you might need one thing more than the other. I'll leave you completely free to decide without compulsion. But, on the subject of "What would you do?" MP is my choice! It's the only conference I've attended for three summers.

ETA: Adding a SG tag on my signature!! Can't advertise too early!
                              Last edited by pickandgrin; 10-05-2016, 04:12 PM.
                              Festina lentē,
                              Jessica P

DD 8th • HLN & Home
                              DS 5th • HLN & Home

Comment

This conference was excellent, and I am so glad that I attended. I am on the waiting list for the Summer Conference in Austin. Are any of you going?

Missy

DS 12, DD 11, DS 9

Comment

Working...
                                X