Thesaurus for Composition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thesaurus for Composition

I am about to launch my second son into Classical Composition. My older son is wordy, but my second is very reticent. Does anyone have any suggestions on a great thesaurus to help with the variation section? (This is the child who is sometimes referred to as "Tall John" by his older brother :-))

Re: Thesaurus for Composition

We have Roget's International Thesaurus, which is pretty complete. I went with it because it was recommended by Susan Wise Bauer somewhere on her website. We also use Thesaurus.com, which my DC prefer since they'd rather type than look up words.
    Holly,
    mom to:
    DD 16 & DS 13--8M
    DD 11 & DD 8--3A
    DS 4--jr. K

Comment

The Synonym Finder -- very comprehensive!
      Julie

2016-2017:

DD 19 -- homeschool graduate attending community college
      DS 17 -- 12th grade using variety + MPOA Chemistry
      DD 12 -- MP 7A

Comment

We have Roget's also.

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
        DS, 16
        DD, 14
        DD, 12
        DD, 10
        DD, 8
        DD, 6
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I greatly appreciate it!

Comment

Can I resurrect this thread and ask for an updated recommendation? I looked at the Roget's International Thesaurus and saw that it is grouped by themes (like body parts, environmental science, attributes, etc) instead of straight alphabetical order. That would drive my eldest nuts! Not every term can be identified by its whole or part.

That Synonym Finder looked so much easier, but I wanted to see if someone could vouch for the ease of use of the former, or plug a different version. We hate our pocket thesaurus. It is too limited. We're heading into CC next year, but it'd be nice to take advantage of its use in ATFF now.
            Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
            DD 9-3A
            DS 6-SC C

Comment

We have the Oxford American Writers Thesaurus and it has served our family well. My daughter uses it weekly for Comp.
              Katie

2019/20 6th year with MP
              DS 15: 10th, MPOA: HS Comp II, Economics
              DD 13: 7th, MPOA: Latin, Chreia/Maxim & Ref/Con
              DD 9: 4th using 3A
              Twin DD's 7: 1st

Comment

Originally posted by Katie View Post
                We have the Oxford American Writers Thesaurus and it has served our family well. My daughter uses it weekly for Comp.
                Thanks for the rec! We ordered it and got it in today. She already loves it! I like their little commentaries on "choose the right word." That is so neat. And it has some newer/modern language. I'm also drooling over their topical section. There must be hundreds of beautiful names for colors!
                Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
                DD 9-3A
                DS 6-SC C

Comment

We ultimately did get the Synonym Finder and it's very well loved and used. So we have been quite pleased.

Comment

Working...
                  X