Intro to Composition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intro to Composition

I just placed my order today *insert happy dance* and have a question for those of you who have used Intro to Comp instead of ATF&F. I used ATF&F with my 3A last year, but I think my rising 3A would fare better with writing based on his readings. Anyway, when I switched these out today, I asked for the lesson plans as well and was told there aren't any for it. I assume I can just follow along with the literature, but has anyone who used Intro to Comp in the past seen any kind of lesson plans for them? I'm curious how you scheduled the lessons without plans.

Thanks!
    Tracy
    My boys: JR, Riley, and Jack
    MP 8A, 7A, and MP2

Re: Intro to Composition

Tracy,
    The Intro to Comp used to be scheduled in the third grade lesson plan - before third grade was changed! So I can understand there not being any plans anymore. We have used it in the past (when it was included) and used it again this past year (with no plans).

Most weeks our regular pattern is that on Tuesdays she did the section to answer the four or five questions in a complete sentence. Then the next day, she would have to write a summary of the section based on those answers. Then on Thursday we did the Dictation sentences. Weeks that we ran short on time we would combine activities with no trouble.

Our book is old though. I do not know if they have changed it at all. But that left Monday's free, which is good because Monday's are long in our other subjects, and it left Friday's free, which was good for being able to shift to a four day week when necessary.

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 17
    DD, 15
    DD, 13
    DD, 11
    DD, 9
    DD, 7
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Comment

Sarah...perfect! That's exactly what I needed to know! And I'm glad we may be able to get it done in 3 days.

Thanks so much!
      Tracy
      MP 8A, 7A, and MP2

Comment

Tracy,

I can get you those plans. I don't know why you were told they don't exist. We still have them. I'll pull them out and email them to you. Just send me your email address, and I'll get them to you today.

Tanya
        [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
          Tracy,

I can get you those plans. I don't know why you were told they don't exist. We still have them. I'll pull them out and email them to you. Just send me your email address, and I'll get them to you today.

Tanya
          [email protected]
          Perfect...done and done! Thanks so much!
          Tracy
          MP 8A, 7A, and MP2

Comment

You probably know this, but just in case. The readings in Intro to Comp don't align perfectly with the literature. The literature was changed, but Intro to Comp still has the older selections (Farmer Boy, Charlotte's Web, and The Moffats). I had heard they were trying to adjust it for the new literature, but weren't able to do it over the summer. I just went ahead and bought The Moffats, it looks like a cute book, and we can use it as a read aloud so she can get the passages for Intro to Comp.
            ~Michelle

DD 13 (MP 8 - 4FL and Ref/Con through MPOA)
            DS 11 (MP 6 w/MPOA)
            DS 5 - MP K (My first Kindergartner with MP!!!)
            DD 2 - Board Books and Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by 3Blessings View Post
              You probably know this, but just in case. The readings in Intro to Comp don't align perfectly with the literature. The literature was changed, but Intro to Comp still has the older selections (Farmer Boy, Charlotte's Web, and The Moffats). I had heard they were trying to adjust it for the new literature, but weren't able to do it over the summer. I just went ahead and bought The Moffats, it looks like a cute book, and we can use it as a read aloud so she can get the passages for Intro to Comp.
              Thanks for the reminder! My rising 4A did The Moffats last year, so I'll be able to use the plans as written. Also, he LOVED that book, and went to the library and checked out and read all the other Moffatt books, so it's a great choice!
              Tracy
              MP 8A, 7A, and MP2

Comment

Just throwing in there that my rising 4th grader did the Moffats last year in 3rd grade and absolutely loved it. We were doing the moderated curriculum but had picked that book and study guide set up randomly from someone passing on some material, so we did that instead of Paddington and had so much fun with it!
                Blair
                Blair

Mom to 6 sweet girls and finally a boy!
                SB - 9 - starting MP 5M
                A - 7 - starting MP 3rd
                M - 5 - starting MP 1st
                F & SG - 4 year old identical twinners
                CJ - a rascally, busy 2 year old
                GH - 4/17/2017, much adored, baby brother!

Comment

Working...
                X