Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4th grade literature selection question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4th grade literature selection question....

Oh ladies, it's nice to be back! We moved this summer and any/all of my free time has been spent unpacking boxes, purging, and trying to reorganize life. But reading through recent threads has just made me smile and laugh over and over again. What a great community this is!

Next year we will be tackling moderated 4th, 2nd, and K with my 3 oldest girls. I'm trying to make some final decisions about literature selections for my 4th grader. She is a strong, avid reader. We ended up doing some extra lit/lit guides in 3rd grade just because I was trying to make the most of books that she was reading in our co-op. Last year, she read Farmer Boy, Charlotte's Web, Homer Price (no lit guide), Cricket in Times Square, and the Moffats (because someone gave us the book and lit guide). We did not do Paddington and she had already read Mr. Poppers Penguins in 2nd grade.

I want her to be challenged in her 4th grade year, but I don't want her to feel overwhelmed with the level of the curriculum guides. She flies through the reading no problem but the lit guides take her quite a chunk of her time (she is meticulous and given to chasing squirrels). Since we have already been through Homer Price and Cricket in Times Square, does anyone have suggestions on what we ought to replace those books with this year for fourth grade? Should we go back and do Paddington? Move forward with Twenty-One Balloons? Pick up a couple of the other 5th grade selections? (Which might work because I think in the next couple years we might take a whole year to go through Narnia...). I'm just concerned that the intensity of the literature guides might be a little too much in the higher grades for her young 4th grade self.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
    Blair
    Blair

Mom to 6 sweet girls and finally a boy!
    SB - 9 - starting MP 5M
    A - 7 - starting MP 3rd
    M - 5 - starting MP 1st
    F & SG - 4 year old identical twinners
    CJ - a rascally, busy 2 year old
    GH - 4/17/2017, much adored, baby brother!

Re: 4th grade literature selection question....

Blair,
    For what is available now, I would start out the year with either Paddington, or with redoing Homer Price with the actual guide. My kids find that book so funny they would not mind doing it even if they have read it. And then at the end of the year you could add in 21 Balloons. I would say that book is more challenging than the other fourth grade options, so putting it at the end of the year is a good spot. It will mean you are "off" a bit in the lesson plan, but that is manageable.

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 17
    DD, 15
    DD, 13
    DD, 11
    DD, 9
    DD, 7
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Comment

Hello.

I feel like Twenty-One Balloons belongs on more of a 6th grade level than 4th. Have you considered our accelerated 4th grade curriculum literature selections? Or The Blue Fairy Book or Dangerous Journey?

Tanya

Comment

Tanya,
        We will definitely be doing the Dangerous Journey and the Blue Fairy Book. I was trying to figure out what to do in addition to those selections since we've already been through Homer Price and Cricket In Times Square. What are the literature selections for the Accelerated 4th? I looked for them when I was thinking this through before we moved but I'm having a hard time finding them on the new website. I felt unsure about 21 Balloons as well, but the sweet gal I talked with when I called into MP earlier this week made that suggestion. I don't think she felt entirely confident in how she was advising me, which is why I decided to check in here.

And Sarah - good idea with revisiting Homer Price. I had thought about doing that and will keep that option open, but she did that book with our co-op where her instructor used other material to walk through the book with the students. It might be a good way to start the year off! Thanks for the idea.

Blair
        Blair

SB - 9 - starting MP 5M
        A - 7 - starting MP 3rd
        M - 5 - starting MP 1st

Comment

Okay, I finally found the Accelerated 4th Literature Selections. When I called earlier this week, the gal I talked with (who was tried incredibly hard to be helpful, but I think didn't have a full understanding of the different options) said I probably should not use Heidi or Lassie since that is what would be covered in 5th grade. I'm guessing those would be better options than 21 Balloons. Would it be difficult to find out how many weeks it takes to cover the following books based upon the lesson plans?

- Dangerous Journey
          - Blue Fairy Book
          - Paddington (3rd Grade)
          - Heidi
          - Lassie

Thanks,
          Blair
          Blair

SB - 9 - starting MP 5M
          A - 7 - starting MP 3rd
          M - 5 - starting MP 1st

Comment

Originally posted by hilaryblair View Post
            Okay, I finally found the Accelerated 4th Literature Selections. When I called earlier this week, the gal I talked with (who was tried incredibly hard to be helpful, but I think didn't have a full understanding of the different options) said I probably should not use Heidi or Lassie since that is what would be covered in 5th grade. I'm guessing those would be better options than 21 Balloons. Would it be difficult to find out how many weeks it takes to cover the following books based upon the lesson plans?

- Dangerous Journey
            - Blue Fairy Book
            - Paddington (3rd Grade)
            - Heidi
            - Lassie

Thanks,
            Blair
            Based upon the the curriculum guides, here is what I counted:

Heidi- 12 weeks
            Lassie- 12.5 weeks
            Homer Price- 6 weeks
            Blue Fairy Book- 7.5 weeks
            Dangerous Journey- 11 weeks

My dd did Blue Fairy Book and Dangerous Journey last year. She had skipped Homer Price because of a request to do another book that interested her. Dangerous Journey was her "favorite book with guide EVER"..her words spoken dramatically.

So this year, 4A, she is starting with Homer Price (I had considered 21 Balloons too but we already had the HP guide) and is loving every bit of it! I agree that Homer Price with a guide this go-around could be a great start. Then Dangerous Journey, Blue Fairy and either Heidi or Lassie to round it out. That would put you at about 36wks, if you are willing to go over. Our you could just have her double up a few days. Especially with Homer Price because the chapters are short. The "re-read CH. so and so" days could possibly be skipped. I left them optional for my dd.

Then next year, you could replace the 21 Balloons with whatever 4A/5M book you chose for this year.
            Katie

DS 17: Senior!
            DD 14: 10th
            DD 10: 6th
            Twin DD's 8: 3rd
            Mix of MP, Co-op, TAN and traveling the U.S

Comment

Katie,
              Thank you so much for taking the time to look all that up for me! I really appreciate it! And great ideas for how to make it all work. Thank you!
              Blair
              Blair

SB - 9 - starting MP 5M
              A - 7 - starting MP 3rd
              M - 5 - starting MP 1st

Comment

Working...
              X