Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guide to National Latin Exam - Introduction

Hello,

I just received a copy of the Guide for the National Latin Exam. I just received this guide and looking over it I realize I have no idea on how to actually implement it. Apparently without worksheets or hand holding curriculum guides I am lost!
    Catherine

Dd - 13 - 8A
    Dd - 11 - 6A

Re: Guide to National Latin Exam - Introduction

Are you doing second form this year? If so, stash it until about January and then you'll want to work through it slowly until the test in March. You can also take practice tests from previous years. That's excellent preparation.
    www.nle.org
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
    12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
    10th • HLN, Latin online, MPOA
    7th • HLN & Home
    4th • HLN & Home
    Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

And when you do have your child work through it, it is basically for practice - to make sure the child has covered the various forms and lists of content. I told my kids to just work their way through it gradually. We also started at about January. They got to skip work in their actual Latin lessons and spend the same amount of time on the guide every Friday.

Hths!
      AMDG,
      Sarah
      2020-2021
      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
      DS, 17
      DD, 15
      DD, 13
      DD, 11
      DD, 9
      DD, 7
      +DS+
      DS, 2

Comment

The guide is intended to be a review of vocabulary, syntax, geography, culture, and other things that typically show up on the NLE. You can divide the vocabulary up and review part of it each week, and do the same thing with the grammar forms and syntax. The goal is for your student to be very familiar with all this stuff. For example, can he/she name all the major gods and goddesses? Some people use the guide all year, covering a little each week, and others use it as a crash course a couple of weeks before the exam. If your student is well-steeped in all this information, and it is truly a review, then the cram method works fine. But if a lot of this information is new to your student, then you may want to start going over it now so that you have time to actually teach it.

And the practice tests are really essential! If you start doing one a day a couple of weeks before the test, then the test won't be nearly as intimidating. It will just be another day of answering 40 questions! This is a great way to teach students how to take a standardized test. Go over each question the student missed, and talk about how a different answer could have been chosen. Could you eliminate two answers that don't make any sense at all and then have a 50% chance between the two remaining answers? Learning how to take these tests is a skill in itself, and it will pay off when it gets to be SAT time!

Tanya

Comment

She will be working through second form this year. As I look through it I realize that there is are quite a lot of workbook pages to be completed each week so I think it may be easier for us to do small chunks of studying at a time. I do also agree that it is important to experience and become accustomed to test taking. As a homeschooler external tests are a rarity for us, except for the RCM piano exams. I will look over the link to the NLE and print some of the old tests. These are all great suggestions.
          Catherine

Dd - 13 - 8A
          Dd - 11 - 6A

Comment

Should you buy each level: Intro, I and II separately or just go ahead and buy Level II since it has all the information it in for all three levels?

Comment

You simply buy the level you need (Intro for Second Form, for example). The subsequent levels to do not have all the info from previous years. The student can use their previous guides, practice tests, and the NLE practice app to prep each year. By level 3 they are solid Latin students and can figure out how to prep without the guides. So to answer your question, all you need for next year is Introduction to Latin level.
              HTH!
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

7th • HLN & Home
              4th • HLN & Home

Comment

WHOA! Kari, I just took a look and you are right--I had no idea. I do think it's easier for a younger student to have ONLY the level that they need and not sort through the other information from higher levels, but I guess that is up to you to decide. Another disadvantage would be having a book that's already marked with what you don't know (meaning--you from last year, not another student) and then needing to remark it the following year. Maybe just use pencil and go lightly? My instructions for prep include page numbers tied to the Intro book, for what that is worth. I like for my students to always have a fresh copy so it's very timely with what they know/don't know and doesn't have someone else's marks on the sample questions.
                I can't believe this is our 5th NLE round and I've never noticed this before! Ha! Learn something new everyday--right?
                Last edited by pickandgrin; 03-13-2020, 09:35 AM.
                Festina lentē,
                Jessica P

7th • HLN & Home
                4th • HLN & Home

Comment

We did this specifically so that our 5th graders didn't have more than they need for the year. It's their first NLE year, and overwhelming in itself. But you can buy Level II and have e everything you need if you feel your student can handle it. I feel like you can handle it better at home than we can in the classroom!

Tanya

Comment

Good to know, Tanya. Thanks! I've noticed that the first year test is definitely the most challenging simply due to the logistics and unknown expectations. Year two there is almost none of that and you can focus more on the test itself.
                    Festina lentē,
                    Jessica P

7th • HLN & Home
                    4th • HLN & Home

Comment

Working...
                    X