Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rod and Staff Math Student Textbook

Hello Fellow Mamas and Memoria Press Masters,

I can just barely get myself to come to an answer reading the TM, past forum threads, and CG, but I really want to be sure.

Monday we started 3M (Yay and we love it and it's going well!), but when we do math I feel like the large(ish) pale green Student Book is a textbook and therefore not comsumable. Am I wrong? If the Student book is not comsumable, then is the student expected to COPY EVERY PROBLEM onto a seperate paper and THEN answer them?

Also, having done only Primary grades with my children thus far, I am having such a pleasant time teaching 3rd grade. Though it's tougher, it's Meaty and Meaningful and I am so happy. That's all.

Crystal Evaniuck (the pregnant woman this year at Sodalitas who was coughing obnoxiously and therefore rescued by Sarah Kaye and the Lovely Sarah Schaeffer. My sinecere apologies to all who were present and then to all who might listen to the audio recordings and wonder who in the world ruined it.)
    2021-2022 year: (all full cores)
    D13 - 8th
    S12 - 7th
    D10 - 5th
    S8 - 2nd
    S8 - 2nd
    S 5 - currently unaware of his MP destiny
    We have used MP exclusively for 7 years (with one sabbatical year in '18 for a breather). Glad we're on the road together!

Re: Rod and Staff Math Student Textbook

The large hardcover book is, indeed, non-consumable. At least in our house it is. Instead of having my son complete every problem, I'd have him do the odds. Also, once he got the hang of things, I would sometimes just have him write the answer rather than the entire problem - it all depended on his mastery of the topic at hand.

To make things easier, I invested in graph paper notebooks for my kids. It really helped keep columns straight and numbers evenly sized - you can pick them up for a couple of dollars at Wal Mart or you can find them (for a bit more) on Amazon.com.
    Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
    DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Shhhh...don't tell Mary's kids!

We use the hardback R&S student math books as consumables. They cost $15 and include worksheets, so it's just not worth the agony (to me) to make people copy. I make exceptions for this with longer problems--big multiplication and division, etc.--but that doesn't show up until about fifth grade.

When you next student gets to third grade, you can replace that book for $15. https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...de-3-math-set/
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
      DS 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE math/sci - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
      DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
      DD 7th • HLN & Home
      DS 4th • HLN & Home
      Me • Memoria College, this summer: MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching TFL and co-directing @
      Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

We use them as consumable too 😱

~Roxie

Comment

It was me who said they use it as consumable at HLS. But at some point, I can't remember when, students use graph paper for answers.

Michelle T

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
            It was me who said they use it as consumable at HLS. But at some point, I can't remember when, students use graph paper for answers.

Michelle T
            I'm thinking it's 4th grade. That's when we switched over, and I'm sure it's because I read it somewhere or heard it here in the forums. I make Rachel a math binder, print graph paper from the web, and off we go.

Graph paper helps her tremendously in keeping things straight -- place value, carrying, borrowing, etc. She balked originally at using graph paper, but I see the beauty and efficacy. I contemplated pulling it out for my boys when we started with carrying and borrowing, but they picked it up without an issue.

We print our graph paper here ---- and I make a math binder for Rachel, keeping it all in there.
            Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
            DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
            DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
            DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
            DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
            DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

Yep - we write in the third grade one, and they start copying in fourth. At least, that was until my most recent fourth grader who actually did most of her work orally. She only wrote the sections that were really necessary. We shall see what fifth grade brings for her!

AMDG,
              Sarah

P.S. Now that you have found your way to the Forum, Crystal, you should know we LOVE baby news, and new baby photos 'round here!
              2020-2021
              16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
              DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
              DS, 17
              DD, 15
              DD, 13
              DD, 11
              DD, 9
              DD, 7
              +DS+
              DS, 2

Comment

*clutches chest*

WHAT?! First, are you seriously writing in your HARDCOVER books? Isn't that one of the Ten Commandments - Thou Shalt Not Mark Anything, Other Than Thy Name Inside the Front Cover, in a Hardcover Book?

And secondly, why did nobody tell me this? My poor baby copied out all of those problems last year. *calculates the amount of money needed to pay for his subsequent therapy* Were you guys all sitting here eating popcorn, pointing and laughing as I tiptoed around that book not making any marks in it? Fess up.
                Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
                  *clutches chest*

WHAT?!
                  Oh no, Mary! And oh no, Mary's children!

I wish we'd have known this earlier. We could have set you free last year!!!
                  Festina lentē,
                  Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
                  DS 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE math/sci - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
                  DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
                  DD 7th • HLN & Home
                  DS 4th • HLN & Home
                  Me • Memoria College, this summer: MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching TFL and co-directing @
                  Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

It's okay, Mary, my 3rd grade son did his Saxon by copying it out, and those books are paperback! There just wasn't room to write things out on the page without looking sloppy.

I am a mean mom!
                    Jodi
                    ~~~~~~~
                    2019-20 School Year:
                    Ethan (7A)
                    Matthew (5A)
                    Silas (1st)
                    Eleanor (4yo dabbling in PK as time allows)
                    Andrew (brand new as of Oct 2019)

Comment

Originally posted by JodiSue View Post
                      It's okay, Mary, my 3rd grade son did his Saxon by copying it out, and those books are paperback! There just wasn't room to write things out on the page without looking sloppy.

I am a mean mom!
                      And this is why we are good friends. We don't mar the insides of our books.

When dh told me last year to buy separate workbooks for the kids (instead of either me photocopying or them copying into notebooks), I was excited! However, once that boxed arrived, I had a hard time wrapping my head around writing in such beautiful workbooks. Unlike most student books, they don't look cheap or corny so I hesitated to mark them up. Yes, I know, I have a problem.
                      Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

At HLS, we do use the 3rd grade math book as a consumable (sorry, Mary!), but for 4th grade, the students begin doing their work on graph paper. Third grade is the last consumable math book year (or in Mary's case, the first non-consumable math book year).

Tanya

Comment

I was having a stroke internally when a friend mentioned letting her 3rd grader write in the hardback book--she could tell and referred me to this thread We have had wailing and gnashing of teeth around here already, and I am so pleased to have *permission* to let my child use this as a consumable. It isn't that a 3rd grader isn't capable of copying all that, but with the curriculum heavy on other things, too, I love the idea of using those subjects to adjust the 3rd grader to tremendous amounts of writing and leaving the arithmetic copying to 4th grade when the other is accomplished.

I really need a healthy dose of common sense sometimes, and I seem to get a lot of it here. I really am one of those persons programmed to "follow the rules" and I would NEVER have let my child write in a hardback math book without reading this! Thanks!
                          2020-21:
                          Daughter 7A
                          Daughter 5A
                          Son finishing K, beginning MP1

HighlandsLatin.org/Bentonville

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
                            Yep - we write in the third grade one, and they start copying in fourth. At least, that was until my most recent fourth grader who actually did most of her work orally. She only wrote the sections that were really necessary. We shall see what fifth grade brings for her!

AMDG,
                            Sarah

P.S. Now that you have found your way to the Forum, Crystal, you should know we LOVE baby news, and new baby photos 'round here!
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	103932

Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	103933

Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	103934

Is three months old tomorrow still "new"?
                            “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
                            ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                            Wonder Boy 14 ...MP4 + R&S 5 Math
                            Joy Bubble 12 ...MP4
                            Cowboy 9 ...MP4 + R&S Math 3
                            Sassafras 5 ...MPK

Comment

Anita,
                              3 months is just perfect! She is so adorable.

I have found this thread interesting. I think I might be there with those who have trouble writing in a hardcover math book. I am personally having fits with the 9th grade literature plans that instruct the student to mark the book. My daughter is taking them very seriously. I didn't really want to have to buy new books for three more kids. I am trying not to stress right now.

Dorinda
                              Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
                              15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
                              DD College Freshman
                              DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
                              DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
                              DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Working...
                              X