Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OT: Your Public Service Announcement

Originally posted by Aquila View Post
    Man buns. As in the hairstyle. I hate the word and I especially dislike the look. If I had a pair of scissors handy....
    Nailed it.
    “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Wonder Boy 14 ...MP4 + R&S 5 Math
    Joy Bubble 12 ...MP4
    Cowboy 9 ...MP4 + R&S Math 3
    Sassafras 5 ...MPK

Comment

Michelle,

I read your post three times, thinking, "What is wrong with her? Is she having a stroke?" I didn't realize which thread it was, and I totally thought you were concerned about your child's testing and doing a really bad job putting sentences together! I'm usually late to the party.

Tanya

Comment

Well, darn it. I was getting ready to post one of my pet peeves .....

ORIENTATE

Every time I hear it I cringe. As in, "Oh, I have to orientate that new nurse." Under my breath, I grumble, "Orient, orient, ORIENT!"

I looked it up, and apparently it isn't a dorky made up word, but "Orientate is more widely accepted in the U.K. than in the U.S.A., but it should be avoided in any formal or standard writing." Let's avoid it in everyday conversation, too, please. #nailsonchalkboard
        Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
        DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
        DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
        DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
        DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
        DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
          Well, darn it. I was getting ready to post one of my pet peeves .....

ORIENTATE

Every time I hear it I cringe. As in, "Oh, I have to orientate that new nurse." Under my breath, I grumble, "Orient, orient, ORIENT!"

I looked it up, and apparently it isn't a dorky made up word, but "Orientate is more widely accepted in the U.K. than in the U.S.A., but it should be avoided in any formal or standard writing." Let's avoid it in everyday conversation, too, please. #nailsonchalkboard
          Yes, yes, yes. Let's drop both orientate and its sibling, notate.

You'll orient yourself.
          You'll make note of that.
          NOT
          After getting orientated to where the records room is I'll notate that in your chart.
          Last edited by Mary; 08-11-2017, 09:16 AM.
          Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
          DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
          DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by Anita View Post
            (Aww... Someone thinks I'm clever <3 Day-brightener, right there.)

"You got this," just sounds flippant and dismissive (flipmissive?). Y'know what, perfect stranger? I don't "got this". I'm struggling. If you were even half-interested in what I'm trying to "get", you might ask what the actual challenge is and how (if) you can assist. Just jogging by with a fist bump and the world's tiredest and tritest response helps no one. It's the linguistic equivalent of a shrug and a fake smile. The only person it makes to feel better is you. You might try using one extra word.

"You can do this," combined with a helping hand and an attentive gaze, is a far more humane approach.
            I'm glad to have brightened your day. And yes, "You can do this" sounds much nicer.
            DS, 15, 10th grade
            DS, 12, 7th grade

Comment

Something I have noticed...

These are all things that have developed because people don't actually know grammar. They take a noun version of a word (orientation, notation, etc) and try to turn it into the verb form - incorrectly!

Therefore MY blanket pet peeve: the fact that people no longer know grammar!

And now I HAVE to disappear and get some non-forum things done!
              AMDG,
              Sarah
              2020-2021
              16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
              DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
              DS, 17
              DD, 15
              DD, 13
              DD, 11
              DD, 9
              DD, 7
              +DS+
              DS, 2

Comment

*BUMP*

Excuse me -- ladies*? "Overwhelm" is a verb.

Being the parent you want to be doesn't have to be a struggle. Some days... it's a struggle to just get dressed and out the door, let alone be creative and make memories with your kids. I understand the overwhelm.

Sweetie: I think you meant to say you "understand how someone can be overwhelmed"; or maybe "how overwhelming it is". There are also similes you might employ (daunting task, discouragement, insurmountable feeling, struggle). Let's use a thesaurus instead of making verbs into trendy adjectives, shall we?

*I say "ladies" because I've only heard women misuse this. And only women in their mid-to-late 20's.

ETA: RATS! Maybe I'm wrong (...?). But I still detest it. https://www.dailywritingtips.com/ove...-verb-isnt-it/
                Last edited by Anita; 09-26-2017, 11:21 AM.
                “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
                ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                Wonder Boy 14 ...MP4 + R&S 5 Math
                Joy Bubble 12 ...MP4
                Cowboy 9 ...MP4 + R&S Math 3
                Sassafras 5 ...MPK

Comment

I, too, felt that it sounded off and wouldn't think to use "overwhelm" as a noun. Not sure what "whelm" is, though I'm sure I don't want to go over the usual amount of it.

I would tend to agree with the Daily Writing Tips site that "overwhelm" is a pretty powerful word. Much like "amazing" and "awesome" and "astounding", it should be kept for the circumstances that truly call for it. Maybe it's a little strong for the normal stress of everyday life, just as "awesome" ought not describe peanut butter or soda. I can't stand the thought of overwhelmed earthquake victims who've lost everything being lumped in with my lowly day-to-day feelings of being overloaded... or God being on the same level as my (amazing!) toothpaste.
                  Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
                  DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
                  DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by Anita View Post
                    *BUMP*

Excuse me -- ladies*? "Overwhelm" is a verb.

Being the parent you want to be doesn't have to be a struggle. Some days... it's a struggle to just get dressed and out the door, let alone be creative and make memories with your kids. I understand the overwhelm.

Sweetie: I think you meant to say you "understand how someone can be overwhelmed"; or maybe "how overwhelming it is". There are also similes you might employ (daunting task, discouragement, insurmountable feeling, struggle). Let's use a thesaurus instead of making verbs into trendy adjectives, shall we?

*I say "ladies" because I've only heard women misuse this. And only women in their mid-to-late 20's.

ETA: RATS! Maybe I'm wrong (...?). But I still detest it. https://www.dailywritingtips.com/ove...-verb-isnt-it/
                    Remind me not to trust the Oxford English Dictionary. I agree that 400 years ago whelm might have been a noun in poetic usage, but it is not a noun used in modern English. Overwhelm in more modern usage is a verb.
                    Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
                    15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
                    DD College Freshman
                    DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
                    DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
                    DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Working...
                    X