Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Finish Prima Latina, or not to finish Prima Latina? That is the question:)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Finish Prima Latina, or not to finish Prima Latina? That is the question:)

Last year my 2nd grader began Prima Latina late because Latin wasn't on my radar yet. Then we were inconsistent with Latin. She will be working through the 3A core this coming year. So, the question is: do I go ahead and begin Latina Christiana, or do I finish PL first? She's barely 1/2 through it. I don't really think I can have her finish it this summer; we have moved, life is pretty chaotic, and we are doing our best to settle in, have a family life, read, and catch up on math facts.

Related, She was also doing RightStart Math and because it is spiral, is behind in math mastery. I have her working in Math Mammoth 2A right now through the summer on addition and subtraction, trying to get that down to automaticity. She will work on Math Mammoth Addition/Subtraction 2A till we begin. I bought both 2A and 2B but at this point she might barely finish 2A before our school year begins. Should I go ahead and start her with Rod & Staff 3? I see the first several lessons are review, but I do not want to launch into multiplication before addition and subtraction is solid.

Thanks,
    2020-21:
    Daughter 7A
    Daughter 5A
    Son finishing K, beginning MP1

HighlandsLatin.org/Bentonville

Re: To Finish Prima Latina, or not to finish Prima Latina? That is the question

We were in the same boat (started PL late as I just discovered MP and didn't have time to finish), and we went ahead and started with LC in 3A and he did fine without completing PL. As I understand it, PL isn't really a per-requisite, more of just a familiarization for the little guys.

Best,
    Jodi
    Jodi
    ~~~~~~~
    2019-20 School Year:
    Ethan (7A)
    Matthew (5A)
    Silas (1st)
    Eleanor (4yo dabbling in PK as time allows)
    Andrew (brand new as of Oct 2019)

Comment

Yes, it is fine to start LC1 without having finished Prima. LC 1 reviews the same vocab words learned in Prima and adds 5 additional ones to each lesson. There is a new Latin phrase to learn each week as well.

Michelle T

Comment

Originally posted by whippoorwill View Post
        Last year my 2nd grader began Prima Latina late because Latin wasn't on my radar yet. Then we were inconsistent with Latin. She will be working through the 3A core this coming year. So, the question is: do I go ahead and begin Latina Christiana, or do I finish PL first? She's barely 1/2 through it. I don't really think I can have her finish it this summer; we have moved, life is pretty chaotic, and we are doing our best to settle in, have a family life, read, and catch up on math facts.

Related, She was also doing RightStart Math and because it is spiral, is behind in math mastery. I have her working in Math Mammoth 2A right now through the summer on addition and subtraction, trying to get that down to automaticity. She will work on Math Mammoth Addition/Subtraction 2A till we begin. I bought both 2A and 2B but at this point she might barely finish 2A before our school year begins. Should I go ahead and start her with Rod & Staff 3? I see the first several lessons are review, but I do not want to launch into multiplication before addition and subtraction is solid.

Thanks,

We started with PL on schedule in 2nd grade for my daughter, and with back to back pregnancies, it quickly got left behind.

My daughter went on to LC I in 3rd grade and FFL in 4th without any problem. I don't want to say that PL isn't necessary, but we did OK without it.
        Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
        DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, Dual Credit - equestrian and theatre
        DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis/aviation -dyslexia and dysgraphia
        DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis/aviation -auditory processing disorder
        DD5 - 10- Mash up of SC levels and standard MP, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
        DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Comment

Originally posted by whippoorwill View Post

Thanks,
          Another RightStart refugee here, waving! I'd drill addition and subtraction with flashcards until school starts and then dive into 3A. BUT! If/when she hits something she doesn't know, you need to stop for a day or two and get it (until she gets it). There will likely be some conversions that she hasn't encountered before. That's totally fine--just help her prepare for that expectation-wise and you can help prevent any defeated feelings. We spent all of fifth grade two weeks behind in math, flipping again and again in the curriculum planner, because we hit and bump and couldn't go on.

HTH!
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
          DS Hillsdale College freshman
          DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
          DD 8th • HLN & Home
          DS 5th • HLN & Home
          Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
          Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

OR... you could do PL with your child as a 3rd grader, then all of LC I as a 4th grader instead of dividing it into two years like in the 3M/4M plans. Actually, this is what I decided to do when we didn't cover PL in 2nd. An additional reason was that I needed my son to be able to focus on his other 3rd grade subjects and so PL was the "just right" option for him. At the end of 3rd, he has ALL 250 Prima vocab words memorized perfectly. LC I will be a snap for him now.

OTOH, I "give you permission" to just skip ahead. Homeschoolers sometimes just want to hear that they may. That said, I think the answer lies in the balance of challenges your child will have in the upcoming year. LC I is far, far more work that PL. Just consider the balance of the workload for your child's upcoming year and you will know which is the better course for you to take.

Jen
            DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

Thanks, Ladies. I appreciate your time! Good suggestions all--now I can take this to the Lord and let Him nudge me the right way. Why do I always do that second?!?
              2020-21:
              Daughter 7A
              Daughter 5A

Comment

Thanks, Ladies. I appreciate your time! Good suggestions all--now I can take this to the Lord and let Him nudge me the right way. Why do I always do that second?!?
                2020-21:
                Daughter 7A
                Daughter 5A

Comment

Working...
                X