Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help placing large family new to MP

Hello!
    I am in need of some guidance with my school next year. We use Sonlight for history and read alouds which works great for my family of book lovers. However for my DD's (5th grade) individual work she needs a challenge. She is an advanced, hard working student who completes most everything independently. I would love to add in Memoria Press for her. She has completed Prima Latina and Latina Christiana and we are planning First Form for next year. I am also thinking of having her do Christian Studies, Famous Men of Rome, Grammar Recitation, CC Fable, and a Science. She will continue with the Math program we have been using. My big questions are can I put her in Grammar Recitation II or should she start at I? She was doing CLE Language Arts and has completed through the 6th grade level. Also should she do two years of Christian Studies this year so she can be on the regular schedule? She is very bright and in need of a challenge but I don't want to overwhelm her. She is very interested in Poetry so I'm considering that course as well.
    Since we are studying American History next year I would like her and my DS (3rd grade) to do States and Capitals as well. Would I be better off having him do it at half pace like 3rd grade calls for and her at regular? Or just having them both do 1/2 pace? My DS might be adding in a few MP things as well, but not as many as his sister quite yet. I'm not sure he is ready for the rigor, but maybe an introduction to some of it would be good. This year he grew by leaps and bounds with what we were using (Spelling you See, CLE Reading, Sonlight LA, and some Freewriting) so I'm hesitant to switch him completely. Yet, I'm not sure how much of that was just maturity and how ready he is for more difficult work. He is a very visual learner and I worry MP might not be a great fit for him.
    I also will have a first grader who is reading beginning readers, a pre k who is begging to learn to read, and will have a newborn in August.
    Any suggestions or comments appreciated! Thank You!

Re: Help placing large family new to MP

Hi! I am pretty new to MP, but I started my two oldest in English grammar recitation this spring. My oldest was 12 and using First Form Latin, and had done other grammar curriculums before, so I started him in Book 2. It begins with a review of everything in Book 1. I'd say get the fifth grade moderated lesson plans and use those for as many MP subjects as you are using. The only issue there might be the Classical
    composition, which has to be started from the beginning, if you decide to use that (we started that this spring and it's great, btw!).

I haven't used any 3rd grade materials yet so I can't comment on those. But it sounds like from these forums that MP is really great about sending you a different lesson plan if you change your mind once you have started on something.
    Catherine

2022-23
    14th year homeschooling
    7th year with MP

DS19, college freshman
    DS16, 10th
    DS & DD14, 9th
    DS10, 4th
    DD7, 2nd
    DS4, JrK
    DS & DS, 1yr old

Comment

Hi there, Mama Thompson! Working on an answer to you...typing away...
      AMDG,
      Sarah
      2020-2021
      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
      DS, 17
      DD, 15
      DD, 13
      DD, 11
      DD, 9
      DD, 7
      +DS+
      DS, 2

Comment

You have great questions for your children, and I will hopefully offer you some ideas. Your plans for your Fifth grader look great. I would agree that with the grammar experience your child has, EGR II would be a fine place to start.

I would not try to do two Christian Studies in one year. They are a very worthwhile course, and there is really no need to rush it. Do one, and do it well, and that will be more valuable than trying to speed through. You are not behind...you are simply "starting." That is why there is not a "grade level" on those books. They suit a lot of ages. Do Book I now, and take them one at a time. You will find time for everything down the road.

Your other question was about States and Capitals for both of your kids. I would suggest having your 5th grade do it in a single year. Your third grader could to them in a year also. The only difference that could hang him up is spelling the names of the states and their capitals. You could decide whether or not that is a deal-breaker for you. My third child did the course as an 8 year old third grader, and I did not make her learn the spellings. Now I have another child who just finished third, doing it half pace, and I do expect her to learn the spellings because she is going more slowly. That can be up to you.

The Poetry is a great resource, and is something that is very easily added into literature studies because it is intended to be used over several years. Students learn a handful of great poems over the course of each year.

Your third grader sounds like you have some good choices that are working for him, but also has some areas you could try out some Memoria Press things too. Your suspicion that a year of maturity has helped him a lot is probably true. There is so much growing that happens from one year to the next! I would try adding in one or two MP things to see how he does, and work him in gradually. First, I would make sure to start some Latin. You could also have room for a classical studies or Christian studies course, or some literature.

The way I would decide is to try to project a little bit on what you might want to do the next year. If you want to just give some MP things a try, but also keep the option open of placing him into MP more fully in 4th grade, then I would look at the "4th grade for New Users" as your possible goal. Anything you do this year could try to complement that package. So doing Prima Latina now would allow him to do Latina Christiana in 4th. Third grade literature guides would be a great choice (Farmer Boy, Charlotte's Web, Mr. Popper's Penguins, and A Bear Called Paddington). Also, you could choose to do Greek Myths or Christian Studies a couple different ways. You could do each of them at half pace for 3rd grade, and finish them in fourth. Or, you could do Greek Myths now, and Christian Studies in 4th. (you could have one less subject in 4th that way...may help the transition a bit!)

Then I was not sure if you were asking for guidance on your younger ones, or just letting us know that they would be busy and "in the mix" also. So if you want some ideas for them too, just holler!

I hope that helps get the ball rolling!
        AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        DS, 17
        DD, 15
        DD, 13
        DD, 11
        DD, 9
        DD, 7
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

Thank you so much Sarah! That is so very helpful!

A few more questions if you don't mind. Would my fifth grader also need Geography 1 or would it be better to do that in 6th? And would she need Greek Myths before Famous Men of Rome?

I have been considering Prima Latina with my son which would allow him to do Latina next year in 4th. It's so hard to pick what he should start with! Especially because I keep thinking "if it's not broke don't fix it". Yet I feel he could benefit from MP also. I pushed him too hard in his early years and last year going "lighter" I saw huge growth, so its very hard to determine my next plan with him. He also dilly dallies through his work making his school days much too long. He is the sweetest boy ever with a very active imagination which makes school hard to focus on sometimes.

I would love some input on my younger two if you have some. Again, thanks for your thoughtful response!

Comment

If you want her doing States and Captials, I would not try to do Geography I also. You can wait on that and just do one. You do not need to have studied Greek Myths before doing FMOR. But those stories are going to be something that come up a lot in the years to come, so make sure to have her read the D'Aaulaire's book in her free time over over the summer (right now). It should not be difficult- it is an amazing book! We have a non-school copy that gets taken to bed, brought in the car, slid under the couch, anywhere they go it goes!!! (It's a mess!)

From what it sounds like with your son, I would really consider doing Prima. It will still be a good bit of Latin, he will begin learning a gentle amount of English grammar, and it will give him a bit of a leg up when he begins Latina. But it will not add a ton more time to your days/weeks. Plus, I have not had a kid yet who has not really enjoyed learning Latin. It helps create a really neat culture in your home.

I need to look back at your OP to see about your younger two.....
            AMDG,
            Sarah
            2020-2021
            DS, 17
            DD, 15
            DD, 13
            DD, 11
            DD, 9
            DD, 7
            +DS+
            DS, 2

Comment

First grade is a strong year in MP, so it really matters how much experience your young one has before starting it. When you say, "beginning readers," does that mean first level BOB books (strictly CVC words) or things like level 1 graded readers? For instance, could your first grader read Little Bear? Or be close to reading Billy and Blaze? Those are two of the books from First grade. Also, how strong are his/her writing skills? We begin cursive handwriting in first grade because our students do a full year of a lot of manuscript in K. Would your child know manuscript well enough to add in cursive?

If so, then go for it and do first grade. But if you are still early in reading, needing to stay in short vowels longer, and needing to beef up writing skills, I would really consider doing K. The First Start Reading program is a really wonderful program that is so good at laying a really strong foundation in a single year - in both reading and writing skills. MP is a very language and math heavy curriculum - that is where the bulk of a child's time and energy is placed, so being at the right level is much more important than worrying about "but age says to be in X grade..."

As for your PreK wanting to read, I would take advantage of that but still try to keep things simple. We have some Alphabet flash cards and Phonics flash cards you could use to sit and teach letters, sounds, and letter formations while you are resting up and nursing the baby. You will have a lot of lap time through the fall that you can spend some time on those without needing to juggle a whole plan of something. Then when baby is a few months old, and is happy to play on the floor or sit in something, you could do the Alphabet and Numbers coloring books, the Scissors skills books, the book of Moher Goose poems for memorizing. These are all pieces of the JrK curriculum that you could do during the year when you have time rather than spread out over the whole year. Go with the pace of your infant rather than stress over trying to follow a plan for your preschooler. It would not feel like school yet, but would help meet that desire to be "doing something."

I hope that helps... I have to scoot but if you need more help today there are a ton of folks who can chime in to offer suggestions today too! God bless,

AMDG,
              Sarah
              2020-2021
              DS, 17
              DD, 15
              DD, 13
              DD, 11
              DD, 9
              DD, 7
              +DS+
              DS, 2

Comment

A couple of thoughts to add in here:
                Christian Studies - I agree that I would not double up on Christian Studies. Start with CSI this year and complete II in 6th and III in 7th. CSIV is a review of I-III so if you want to skip ahead at this point, skip IV and go straight to the book of the Ancient World in 8th.
                States and Capitals - I also think completing States and Capitals in a single year is the best route for your daughter. That still allows her to complete US History and 2 years of Geography before HS.
                Classical Studies - Another suggestion to get Greek Myths in over the summer is to listen to the audio or audible version. The book is great so I recommend listening while reading along (or at least looking at the pictures).
                DD18 | MPOA Graduate | Studying Music & Classical Languages
                DS 16 | 10th | MPOA & MP at home
                DD 14 | 9th | MPOA & MP at home
                2022-2023

Comment

I must say this is the friendliest, most helpful forum I've ever been a part of! Thank you so much for your replies. I am feeling more and more confident in my choices for my fifth grader and definitely getting closer with my other children. I do have a question about my upcoming first grader. This year he nearly completed CLE Learning to Read and I was planning on putting him in CLE first grade "I wonder" program. He really got a lot out of his lessons, but they were long and tedious for us both and tended to get skipped when we both were not up to it. He is beyond cvc words, working on long vowels currently. He has a desire to read better than he does, but really hated the long lessons. I'm wondering if Storytime Treasures would be a better fit for him then moving onto the next CLE? In CLE reading they work on spelling, vocabulary, and skills such as alphabetical order, etc. How does this compare to Memoria Press 1st? He has no trouble doing worksheets, in fact he loves a clear cut lesson and can actually work fairly independently on things he is practicing (math review, handwriting) its the LONG lessons with repetition that bother him most. I already own Sonlight Readers for Grades 1-4, and I was also planning on having him work through those as well.

Also is the Poetry a standalone program (for my fifth grader) or is it only possible if also using the Lit guides?

I am thinking of calling Memoria Press on Monday to inquire about my order and possibly order a package for my daughter, so in the meantime I'm trying to wrap my head around what I need or want to order for my other children. My husband is bugging me for the final total on how much school will cost next year

Thanks for all the help!
                  Last edited by mamathompson; 06-25-2016, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Good Morning!

I think everything you've been told is spot-on so far. I just finished my first year of full MP cores with a 3rd and 5th grader (and a Jr. K'er, too!) and I could not agree more with the advice to take a full year for each level of Christian Studies and to go through States and Capitals in a single year. I did combine my 3rd and 5th for Greek Myths and Christian Studies. These are subjects that lend themselves beautifully to being combined - it will make your life a little easier, too!

My 5th grade dd sounds very much like your 5th grader - very bright, self-motivated and independent. She did both Greek Myths and Famous Men of Rome this year. She and her 3rd grade brother were together for GM lessons (we sat on the couch and took turns reading the selections) and we'd go over the comprehension and vocabulary questions together. I would read the FMoR passage each week as part of our read-alouds, then my dd would re-read it and answer the comprehension questions on her own. It went very well for us this way.

The reason I mention this is that there's a lot of material in the Greek Myths and we've already been surprised at how much we've been able to relate from the GM to other areas of life (sayings, literature references, and so on). It was really helpful for her to be able to keep the gods/goddesses straight and to really know the stories. Like others have said, it's not mandatory; however, it's a really nice way to bring your kids together for a lesson and it's something that will come in really handy as they progress through school. Obviously, if she's going to be overburdened this year, cut out GM...but I wanted to share that, especially if combined with another student, this is something that can be worked very nicely into the curriculum.

ETA: I think you can use poetry as a stand-alone program. It does fit in with what students are reading in their lit guides; however, I don't think it's imperative that you use the literature guides along with the poetry program.
                    Last edited by Mary; 06-25-2016, 10:19 AM.
                    Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
                    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
                    DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by mamathompson View Post
                      I must say this is the friendliest, most helpful forum I've ever been a part of! Thank you so much for your replies. I am feeling more and more confident in my choices for my fifth grader and definitely getting closer with my other children. I do have a question about my upcoming first grader. This year he nearly completed CLE Learning to Read and I was planning on putting him in CLE first grade "I wonder" program. He really got a lot out of his lessons, but they were long and tedious for us both and tended to get skipped when we both were not up to it. He is beyond cvc words, working on long vowels currently. He has a desire to read better than he does, but really hated the long lessons. I'm wondering if Storytime Treasures would be a better fit for him then moving onto the next CLE? In CLE reading they work on spelling, vocabulary, and skills such as alphabetical order, etc. How does this compare to Memoria Press 1st? He has no trouble doing worksheets, in fact he loves a clear cut lesson and can actually work fairly independently on things he is practicing (math review, handwriting) its the LONG lessons with repetition that bother him most. I already own Sonlight Readers for Grades 1-4, and I was also planning on having him work through those as well.
                      It sounds like you may want to put the 1st grader in FSR Book D. It starts with long vowels and is a through phonics approach. I even took both my kids back through FSR book E recently to solidify some of their skills since they were struggling with vowel teams. Storytime Treasures is wonderful, and the whole first grade program is great, but you want to make sure he's capable of reading "Little Bear" before progressing. Also, with Storytime Treasures, I would highly recommend getting the Phonics Guide for Reading and Spelling (it comes with the first grade core if you get that). There are all kinds of helps in there to help break the words down and prepare the students for the reading. Storytime Treasures also includes vocabulary and some other LA skills, but MP does use a separate spelling program (Spelling Workout). I hope this helps! We did MP 1 this year and it was a great year for my little guy!
                      ~Michelle

DD 13 (MP 8 - 4FL and Ref/Con through MPOA)
                      DS 11 (MP 6 w/MPOA)
                      DS 5 - MP K (My first Kindergartner with MP!!!)
                      DD 2 - Board Books and Chaos

Comment

You are getting some great advice here so I won't jump in on that, but wanted to extend a hearty welcome to you, MamaThompson!
                        Festina lentē,
                        Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
                        DS Hillsdale College freshman
                        DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
                        DD 8th • HLN & Home
                        DS 5th • HLN & Home
                        Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
                        Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Thank you all for your patience with me as I wrap my ahead around the MP cores. The more I look around and read, the more I like! I have a few more questions about my son going into 3rd grade. I am looking into "trying out" MP with him this year in a few areas with the goal of moving him more completely into it in the future if we find it successful. How does this plan sound: 3rd grade- Prima Latina, New American Cursive 3, 1/2 of Greek Myths, Mammals, States and Capitals. I am debating if it would be best to do 1/2 Greek Myths this year and 1/2 next with the full Christian Studies or if it would be better to do all of Greek Myths this year all of Christian Studies next. I'm also looking at Intro to Composition, but I'm not sure he would be ready for Fables in 4th. Would it be better to do 1/2 of Intro to Comp this year and 1/2 next? And would he have to do the Lit. Guides with that course? Also should he hold off on English Grammar Recitation until he is in Latina Christiana? One of my concerns with him is feeling like he has too many subjects a day. I think it will go one of two ways: he will either love the predictability of each week and each lesson, or be completely bored by it. Its great that 3rd grade offers many subjects at 1/2 pace while the kids are maturing. I could do it as written with 1/2 Christian Studies this year and 1/2 Greek Myths, but if his sister is doing Christian Studies in 1 year will it be hard having them on different tracks of the same course?

I love the suggestion of having my 5th grader sit in on Greek Myths while doing Famous Men of Rome. I am struggling with feeling like she will be "behind" since she is jumping into this later. I know that isn't the case but we are used to her working a grade level or two ahead so looking at her being on the moderated course and even working behind that in some cases feels wrong to me, even though it makes much more sense. She is so excited to start MP since MP Latin has been her favorite subject for 2 years. She says she loves how "no nonsense" it is. If I added in Poetry for her would you just start it at the beginning?

The suggestion of starting my 1st grader in the D workbook got me looking at the samples closely and I think starting at E would be exactly where he is. We were planning on doing a little reading work over the summer, so I may do E with him over the summer and start Storytime Treasures, Spelling Workout, and Core Skills in the Fall. I have the Copybook 1 here, would it be OK to hold off on Copybook 2 and beginning New American Cursive until 2nd grade? Is the Phonics Guide for Reading and Spelling necessary to complete all the work in the first grade core?

I downloaded the recitation plans for first grade to get an idea of what those entail and I love it! I have really slacked on memory work and am looking forward to doing those next year with all three of them!

I know its a lot of question and I thank you for helping me sort out my choices and options. I am getting excited feeling like we may be in for our best year yet!

Comment

Welcome! In reading your questions and possible subjects for third grade it appears that you have chosen *almost* the whole core. Because you are so close to choosing it, I would encourage you to prayerfully consider jumping into it. It's a really great place to begin MP. We started MP last Fall and I had a true 3Rd grader working in 3M and a 4th Grader working in 3A.

You mention concern with so many subjects daily. If you look over the sample plans on the Home Page, you'll see that many subjects are worked on opposite days. CS and GM are worked on separate days. In fact, most subjects are not worked daily. I want to be careful not to lay out MPs plans, but would encourage you to look over the core plan samples where you can see a week of work laid out. We found the consistency of the plans a blessing. As the year progressed my 3M learned which subjects he could work independently and the amount of work was good for him too. He liked being able to see the end of the day drawing near as he completed the day's work. The plans are invaluable for us.

LC1 and EGR complement each other wonderfully. My boys would often know their EGR lesson because they had learned the info in LC1. Latin teaches Grammar better than English, so yes I would wait and do those together.

Intro to Comp is not dependent upon Lit, but does use readings selected from Third Grade Literature. So you will need a copy of the books to read from even if you are not using the Lit Guides. We have not used Fables yet, so I can't speak to that part of your question.

I have to run now, but I'm sure others will chime in too.
                            Joyfully, Courtney
                            DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

Comment

I forgot to answer your first grade questions. Of course it's fine to wait for cursive, you know your student best and what will be workable for your homeschool. MP introduces Cursive in First for a few reasons. Most students learn it well at a younger age. My 3M just learned it this year as did my 1st grader. The 3rd grader didn't struggle necessarily but it definitely came easier to my 1st grader. One reason may be because learning Cursive is likened to learning a different language. My 1st grader only had to learn cursive. My 3M was learning Cursive and Latin. Second grade is when MP begins Latin with Prima Latina. My 3A had already learned cursive, but still hasn't mastered it. He learned it through a different program in second grade, but I never required him to write it regularly. I wish I had started them all earlier. Once cursive is mastered, it allows students to write quicker. That's a huge benefit to a child as their workload increases through the school years. HTH!
                              Joyfully, Courtney
                              DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

Comment

Working...
                              X