New things from MP for old users...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New things from MP for old users...

And I don't mean old as in your age! Ha!

Those of us who've been using MP for a while might not know about all the new things they've added, mostly by our specific request, that are available now. I was typing a response on another thread and decided to repost it here. What other new things have you discovered that you want to use with your subsequent students?

Yep! So many new things to add--so thankful I have littles coming along that will get to use them! Also new for us "oldies" are...
    Geography Flashcards,
    States and Capitals Flashcards

New Testament Flashcards
    Old Testament Flashcards
    Christian Studies Flashcards (called Memory Verse Flashcards)!

This is another new favorite: Cursive Practice Sheets. Great for summer work or more practice for cursive learners."

New Bird Flashcards

Oh, and if you have Latin students in Second Form or above this year, don't forget to order Study Guides for the National Latin Exam!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
    DS Hillsdale College freshman
    DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
    DD 8th • HLN & Home
    DS 5th • HLN & Home
    Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
    Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Re: New things from MP for old users...

Are the flashcards very helpful? I'm debating on them as pristine flashcards have a general life expectancy of 5 days in this house. They begin their ragged decline on day 3.
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
    DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
    DS15: MP, MPOA
    DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
    DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
    DD10: SC3
    DD7: MPK

Comment

Oh no! I JUST got off the phone with poor Michael, who likely needs to take the rest of the day off after dealing with me.

I'm going to have to call back and ask for Tanya to add the Old/New Testament and bible verse flashcards to my Birds order!
      Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
      DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
      DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

I now have to walk away from the forum. I am backing away slowly as we speak. Each time something new is posted, I have an uncontrollable urge to call and order it. Most of the call center employees have mysteriously gone on break after my frantic rush of calls for flashcards.

Jen1134 - as for your question re: flashcards, my personal answer is yes. I do find them to be quite helpful. My kids keep their respective flashcard sets on their desks in their rooms and use them for personal study. They also use them to quiz each other and as a modified form of Jeopardy. However, that being said, only my rising 4th and 6th graders do this. The rising K'er cannot be left alone for any amount of time with flashcards or they'll turn in mini palettes for her next crayon masterpiece. *weary laugh*

I am still looking for the perfect system for storage, as the cards are different sizes and the key ring system didn't quite cut it for us. Despite this small drawback, the kids and I love having them and feel they're worth the price.
        Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
        DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
        DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
          Are the flashcards very helpful? I'm debating on them as pristine flashcards have a general life expectancy of 5 days in this house. They begin their ragged decline on day 3.
          I have the Birds Flashcards, as well as the Old Testament flashcards.

Here's how we do it in my house.

I punch a hole in the corner, ask one of my sons to place a hole reinforcement sticker over the hole, and then put the cards on a binder ring. This way, I can flip through them quickly during review, or Rachel has also flipped through them on her own. For cards like FMOR, FFL, they look pretty rough by the end of the year. I don't expect them to last for the boys.

A thought --- you could laminate them, for added durability. I feel like the OT and the Birds are a little thicker than the FMOR and FFL cards and may hold up better.

They are ABSOLUTELY helpful around here. I can quiz my daughter while I'm standing at the griddle making pancakes, or she can use them for self review. We've also been known to take them on road trips.
          Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
          DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, Dual Credit - equestrian and theatre
          DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis/aviation -dyslexia and dysgraphia
          DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis/aviation -auditory processing disorder
          DD5 - 10- Mash up of SC levels and standard MP, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
          DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Comment

I have been converted to the need for flash cards, too. My original dislike for them is simply keeping track of them, not out of a distrust of their educational value!

My super simple storage method is quart size Ziploc freezer bags. The fact they are freezer bags makes them hold up better. And they are in constant supply, so when the look too cruddy from repeated use (which bugs me), we just pull out a new one.

They keep them in their bags, which are kept in their school basket - out of reach of little ones. They are constantly reminded not to use them strewn about on the floor (most problematic with the art cards), and must put them away as soon as they are done - or else!!!

I do this for the Phonics readers too.

. That is how we do it.
            AMDG,
            Sarah
            2020-2021
            16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
            DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
            DS, 17
            DD, 15
            DD, 13
            DD, 11
            DD, 9
            DD, 7
            +DS+
            DS, 2

Comment

I didn't know about all of these cards; thank you for posting!

The ziploc bags sounds like a good idea, Sarah!
              Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
              DS -21 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, in college
              DS -17 (9/04) (SN)
              DS -15 (7/06)

Comment

The review boxes are new to me. What grades currently have them and what grades will have them?
                Courtney
                Mom to 5 boys-14,13,10,8,5 and the girls- 3 and 1

Comment

Courtney,

Third grade has the Review Boxes. And we put them in fourth because of the continuation of certain subjects. That is all, and we don't have plans to add them to other grades. It's just something our third grade teachers developed and announced at one of our conferences, so we added t to the curriculum guide.

Tanya

Comment

Thanks, Tanya.
                    Courtney
                    Mom to 5 boys-14,13,10,8,5 and the girls- 3 and 1

Comment

Working...
                    X