Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moms Homeschooling with Adrenal Fatigue/CFS/Fibro, etc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m still figuring it out...and a friend here has been a huge help in that! It sounds like this time has shown your family that some changes may be needed. A big shift for me was when I finally realized that I didn’t HAVE to be freezing cold/shaking every afternoon as my body tried to cope with overdoing it. There are days when pushing more is needed, but that shouldn’t be the norm.

I also have kids who are struggling learners. Currently, I’m staggering their lessons. I teach my two Simply Classical kids on Monday, Wednesday, Friday (from bed if needed). The older one is able to do some assignments independently on T/TH (math and reading). My younger one is supposed to do XtraMath and listen to a classic audiobook on T/TH. I teach my NT kids on Tuesdays and Thursdays, highlight their assignments for the next two or three days, and they do those assignments independently.

BUT this is the ideal. Between my health and one of my kids’ emotional sensitivity, we often miss a day or two each week, or I only get to one out of my two people for the day. I just have to look at what we DID do and let it be enough.

Also, to make the above possible, we’ve cut back to essentials. Latin, Math, and Literature for my NT, Spelling, Math, and Literature for my older SC student, and Phonics/Reading with math fact practice for my younger SC. I’ve had to cut SC-C for the time being for my NT youngest. My high schoolers are independent with online/streaming classes. I was supposed to be leading literature this year, but since that isn’t happening we’ve modified it so that they follow the assignments through the whole book, then I’ll give them the Teacher Manual (without the tests) and they’ll go back through, catching things that were missed/deepening their understanding. Then they’ll take the final for the book.

Classical Education is completely doable for you and I and so many others — it just means we have to focus on the core of the feast, not all the trimmings. But that core is still rich and beautiful and opens the door for our children to take it further in their free time. I’m attaching a picture of what that can look like This was entirely their idea and doing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6BB6E654-3104-4AA9-A147-DB1919ADA41B.jpeg
Views:	164
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	122248
    Attached Files
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
    DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
    DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
    DS11: SC 4
    DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
    DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
    DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

Originally posted by Naxi View Post
      Hi Ladies,

I have just found this thread (actually with a Google search! I was glad I found one here.)

There is lots of interesting information that I will read over time, and some great meal ideas. My biggest concern, though, is whether or not classical education is sustainable for our family.

All three of my kids have SLDs, SNs or both, so I am required to be hands on with all of them all day. On top of that both my boys are competing at State and National level in sport so we are travelling roughly two weekends a month. Or we were before Coronavirus.

I feel awful saying it, but lockdowns have been so wonderful for us. With all competition and training stopped, as well homeschool gatherings AND my DH working from home (he was commuting 1.5 hours each way), I have had so much more energy. We have achieved so much more school (we slowed down at first, but my kids got cantankerous, so we started up again.) We are also just enjoying so much more time hanging out.

I am worried, though, that we will be unable to keep up with MP as the world opens up again and I go back to being regularly unwell, up to a few days per week.

How DO you manage it?

Natalie
      I cook double every time I cook. I still cook once a day. We don't eat anything I haven't cooked (other than rotisserie chicken). I'm still strictly AIP- although I added in a few AIP carbs... and started to lose a weight and cleared up most of my joint pain.

I've always used MP as a "do the next thing" curriculum. Although some people really thrive with the guides, we've always just worked directly from the materials for the most part. This way we are never ahead or behind. We're just done when we are done. We've had school wrap up in May... and late July. Now we do something year round, so it doesn't matter as much.

We also will probably not pick up some activities as life starts back up. My DH works with elderly, so it would be risky for us to do things like piano lessons in a tiny practice room with a teacher who has 8 students a day. Dd has taken lessons for 9? 10? years, so we're not sure if we can find an alternative.
      Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my coffee is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

DD 10th: Aerospace enthusiast. All AP & dual enrollment courses for 20-21.

Comment

Naxi Hi there!!

I agree: having everything canceled this spring was a blessing for me as well...not that we had a ton going on, but enough that the change was still really nice. That is, until spring fever set in and all of our motivation really started waning! We are plugging along to truly finish for the year, but we are all a bit more interested in anything BUT school at this point!

So, your question is, "How do I manage?"

I think, based on the context of your question, the best way to answer that is to work hard at not being afraid. There are so many good things we want for our children and our families. One of these is a good, solid education that will help them become their best selves and prepare them for a life centered on truth, goodness, and beauty. Another is for them to develop talents and skills that round them out as people - such as the sports in which your kids compete. Yes, you have a huge commitment there, but I am sure that you also have specific benefits you see them earning from it and thereby consider it an important part of their childhood years. (If it's not, then by all means, cut it from your schedule and don't look back.) Another thing we want is to be able to be a fully-functioning mom who is able to keep up with the demands of our families in the best way possible. There are others, but these are good ones to focus on for now, and seem to be most applicable to your question.

The most difficult thing for us to take is when something interferes with our hopes and plans for these things. Whether it is a problem that develops over time or a sudden change, the most basic response to such changes is fear. We begin to ask the very same question you did: "Will I still be able to do what I had hoped? And if so, how?" The uncertainty, the sense of not being up to the task, and the nervousness that creates can be overwhelming.

That's why fighting this fear is so important, at least for me, It's part of taking stock of each day. I never have been one to look too far down the road; I do have the organizational preference to have plans in mind, but on a day-to-day basis, I prefer to take things one day at a time and do the best with it that I can. Sometimes, fighting the fear is a one-time commitment as I am getting started in the day, and things move along smoothly. I end the day so grateful for the grace to have done well. Other days, when things are not going so well, fighting the fear seems like an ever-present task, and is just as exhausting as anything else. But when I look back, over the weeks and weeks of pushing on, having ups and downs, I can still see progress - and it's amazing given what I myself am capable of. It strikes me so strongly that being able to do more than we think we can is only by the grace of God, and is therefore what I ask for the most each day. Because no matter what I can manage each day, we always seem to have what we need.

But keep in mind...this is not just a matter of will. If you have some sort of condition, it is imperative that you get the help you need. Don't soldier on without taking your health seriously and making sure you are addressing the problems in a proactive way. Food, rest, exercise, avoiding stress, and seeking the proper medical help all play into this, so don't neglect any of those. But those are external things imposed on us. The actual job of "managing" is much more internal, much more emotional, in my mind. And for me, that solution is having a strong spirit, rooted in prayer, and aided by whatever feeds that "fighting" spirit that I need to keep going.

HTHs!
        AMDG,
        Sarah

2020-2021
        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
        DS, 17
        DD, 15
        DD, 13
        DD, 11
        DD, 9
        DD, 7
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

It is interesting timing that you should write this, Sarah. Just this week I was discussing with my best friend that my "default sin" is fear. I have realised that whenever other things fall apart it is because my control has slipped and I start to fear. For example, my son was making terribly silly mistakes in maths the other day, and could not seem to remember things that he has been doing for years. Instead of me thinking, "he is having a bad day" or "maybe he has forgotten and we need to go over that again", I got cranky at him. Later I realised that I was frightened that we would never finish this maths book, which would put us behind for the next one and so on until suddenly in my mind he was 40 and still couldn't find a job. I know it is ridiculous when I break it down like that, but in the heat of the moment I didn't realise what was going on. Since then I have been praying for courage each morning, and each night reflecting on the difference that courage has made.

It is easy to fear when our own futures are so unpredictable, even in the short term. This is great advice and a great reminder for me, thank you.

Comment

I am so glad it was helpful!

AMDG,
            Sarah
            2020-2021
            16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
            DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
            DS, 17
            DD, 15
            DD, 13
            DD, 11
            DD, 9