Audio Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio Books

Recently I purchased Greek Myths on CD and we are really enjoying listening to it. I wish I would have bought it earlier in the year, especially since I have two students studying it! I think it is helping us retain the information better, but also with pronunciation of all those difficult names. So that got me thinking, are there audio books for other courses that will we eventually be studying? I would be interested in the Famous Men Series, I found one on Amazon but it was very high priced! Hoping to find a reasonable source for the audio. I am planning on purchasing Story of the World too. Any other audio books that we shouldn't miss out on?
    Last edited by RunnerJoy; 05-17-2016, 01:31 PM.
    Joyfully, Courtney
    DS13, DS12, DS10, DD8

Re: Audio Books

Originally posted by RunnerJoy View Post
    Recently I purchased Greek Myths on CD and we are really enjoying listening to it. I wish I would have bought it earlier in the year, especially since I have two students studying it! I think it is helping us retain the information better, but also with pronunciation of all those difficult names. So that got me thinking, are there audio books for other courses that will we eventually be studying? I would be interested in the Famous Men Series, I found one on Amazon but it was very high priced! Hoping to find a reasonable source for the audio. I am planning on purchasing Story of the World too. Any other audio books that we shouldn't miss out on?
    I HIGHLY recommend SOTW in audio format. We bought both audio and the paperback versions, because I want to be able to review what we've read.

I haven't bought any of the Famous Men series, but they are available on Librivox. As with any Librivox recording, it's a big of a gamble for a good narrator. (but you're not losing anything)

I found another recording around $25.
    Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
    DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
    DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
    DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
    DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
    DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

I have finally tried to tackle our ability to listen more. A friend (thanks, Christina!) mentioned Audible, and so far, I am totally loving it. Many of the ebooks we already got for free through Amazon can be upgraded to having a professional narration for a buck or two. This week the kids started their first one...and they are LOVING it!

I love that we are finally getting some quality read aloud in. It was my goal at the beginning of the year, and I never could get it in. This way, even I get to relax and enjoy. (While folding laundry, making dinner, doing dishes, etc)

I even splurged and got "David Copperfield for me, narrated by Richard Armitage...so, so good!

AMDG,
      Sarah
      2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
      DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
      DS, 16
      DD, 14
      DD, 12
      DD, 10
      DD, 7.5
      DD, 5.5
      +DS+
      DS, 18 months

Comment

I saw this review for the seller that is selling the FM audio cds:

http://smile.amazon.com/product-revi...f_=v_sp_review
        All Epic Audio Collection recordings are available as FREE downloads from https://catalog.librivox.org/, the people who made them. It's unconscionable that this seller is downloading these books for free, burning them to a CD, and then charging $50 a pop.
        Christina

9th grader MPOA/state virtual school, 6th in private school, 4th hodgepodge homeschool (only girl), and a 4 year old pediatric cancer patient.

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
          I have finally tried to tackle our ability to listen more. A friend (thanks, Christina!) mentioned Audible, and so far, I am totally loving it. Many of the ebooks we already got for free through Amazon can be upgraded to having a professional narration for a buck or two. This week the kids started their first one...and they are LOVING it!

I love that we are finally getting some quality read aloud in. It was my goal at the beginning of the year, and I never could get it in. This way, even I get to relax and enjoy. (While folding laundry, making dinner, doing dishes, etc)

I even splurged and got "David Copperfield for me, narrated by Richard Armitage...so, so good!

AMDG,
          Sarah
          You're welcome Sarah! Audio books have been such a gift to our family. With music dress rehearsal and recital week following family in town, I am using audiobooks to fill in the gaps on those days when we can't get into our routine. I use audio books, so much that I'm actually going to put a 6 week ban on the kindles during our summer break and have good old fashioned summer reading.

Christina
          Christina

9th grader MPOA/state virtual school, 6th in private school, 4th hodgepodge homeschool (only girl), and a 4 year old pediatric cancer patient.

Comment

I'm short on time but will post soon with our list of favorites. Audio books are a major part of our lives!
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
            @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
            S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
            D · 8th
            D · 5th
            S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Originally posted by happyhappyjoyjoy View Post
              I saw this review for the seller that is selling the FM audio cds:

http://smile.amazon.com/product-revi...f_=v_sp_review
              That's the seller I found! I didn't read any reviews because I had no intentions of paying that. I'm glad you pointed it out, I wouldn't have known it was from Librivox.
              Joyfully, Courtney
              DS13, DS12, DS10, DD8

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
                I HIGHLY recommend SOTW in audio format. We bought both audio and the paperback versions, because I want to be able to review what we've read.

I haven't bought any of the Famous Men series, but they are available on Librivox. As with any Librivox recording, it's a big of a gamble for a good narrator. (but you're not losing anything)

I found another recording around $25.
                Originally posted by KF2000 View Post

AMDG,
                Sarah

I need to learn more about Audible and Librivox. I'm not very good at tech, but I am generally pleased once I take the time to figure something out. For instance, this is my first multiple quote reply!
                Joyfully, Courtney
                DS13, DS12, DS10, DD8

Comment

Overdrive App FREE!

Also, on the free list add the Overdrive App that will work with your local library (likely). Download it (free) from iTunes or GooglePlay and then search by library. If your local library doesn't participate, you can purchase a library card from another library system (perhaps your state's capital or largest city). For example, non-Davidson Co. residents in TN can purchase a library card for $50 for a year and that gives you up to 10 digital titles at a time in addition to the 100 print titles at one time. I checked with my librarian and our library is only available to in-state residents. So if you are in TN, you can check our the Nashville Public Library. If you are else where, you might call the largest library in your state and see what you can find.

You can use Overdrive on your mobile device, tablet, or computer. I use mine almost exclusively on my phone for my own private listening. If you own a bluetooth speaker, you can use it for a room full (or van full) of listeners. No disks to lose or scratch and no monthly subscriptions to pay. Even buying a library card to another library system is cheaper than Audible.

Congrats on the multiple-quote! That's an accomplishment!
                  Last edited by pickandgrin; 05-18-2016, 12:31 PM.
                  Festina lentē,
                  Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                  S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                  D · 8th
                  D · 5th
                  S · 2nd

Comment

Audio Books worth purchasing

We only own a tiny collection of audio books since our library has a wonderful collection. Here's what I commend to you to purchase, and do remember these make great gifts when folks are asking! Hands down, our favorite readers are Jim Dale and Rob Inglis. They are the measure by which we judge all others readers.

Winnie-the-Pooh (Peter Dennis)

The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings (Rob Inglis)

Little House series (Cherry Jones)

Narnia series (I am very partial to this non-dramatized set including Kenneth Branagh)

Harry Potter series (Jim Dale) **And anything else Jim Dale reads, including Peter Pan and the Peter and the Starcatchers series, Around the World in 80 Days

Anne of Green Gables (Sherry Fraiser)

Tom Sawyer (Grover Gardner is my fave)

As you can see, my kids max out at almost 12 years old, so that's the range I'm most familiar with. We do lots of older juvenile fiction, but these are the ones they can listen to a million times and never tire. I'll add more when I talk to my kids--I might have some glaring omissions according to them! Haha!
                    Festina lentē,
                    Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                    D · 8th
                    D · 5th
                    S · 2nd

Comment

Originally posted by RunnerJoy View Post
                      That's the seller I found! I didn't read any reviews because I had no intentions of paying that. I'm glad you pointed it out, I wouldn't have known it was from Librivox.
                      I would question the $25.00 sale as well. I can't find any links to an official publication of it, so I am predicting it is from librivox also. I've seen someone selling them on ebay for $7.00, too. I had looked for FM audio books last summer and came up with nothing other than librivox. Some chapters are ok and others my son won't listen to.

I do use audio books for all the MP literature selections I can. I also use them in place of the read aloud selections.

I will write a more detailed post on how we use audio books soon.
                      Last edited by happyhappyjoyjoy; 05-18-2016, 01:55 PM. Reason: typo
                      Christina

Comment

I bought the audio book for The Cricket in Times Square because it was done by Tony Shaloub. It's the only one we own, but we love it :-)
                        Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
                        ds 23, graduated
                        dd 15, 9th Grade
                        dd 12, 6th Grade
                        ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

Re: Audio Books worth purchasing

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                          We only own a tiny collection of audio books since our library has a wonderful collection. Here's what I commend to you to purchase, and do remember these make great gifts when folks are asking! Hands down, our favorite readers are Jim Dale and Rob Inglis. They are the measure by which we judge all others readers.

Narnia series (I am very partial to this non-dramatized set including Kenneth Branagh)

Harry Potter series (Jim Dale) **And anything else Jim Dale reads, including Peter Pan and the Peter and the Starcatchers series, Around the World in 80 Days

As you can see, my kids max out at almost 12 years old, so that's the range I'm most familiar with. We do lots of older juvenile fiction, but these are the ones they can listen to a million times and never tire. I'll add more when I talk to my kids--I might have some glaring omissions according to them! Haha!
                          Thank you for the info on Overdrive! I had seen them at the library before but never really looked into it. Having an app on my phone makes it so much easier! I love my Audible subscription, but maybe look into switching to the every other month plan for awhile, a lot of what I wanted was on Overdrive

Some of our favorites in addition to the ones you listed (aside from the LOTR, we have listened to all of those):

Charlotte's Web (narrated by EB White)

Roald Dalh's collection (narrated by the author)

The Wizard of Oz (Anne Hathaway, although I have friends who don't care as much for her reading)

Story of the World (Jim Weiss) - Not available through Audible, but if you prefer electronic you can get the MP3's from them

Mary Poppins (Sophie Thompson)

Pippi Longstocking (Christina Moore)

A Bear Called Paddington (Michael Bond)

Any / All of the Jim Weiss audiobooks, they're what first got my kids hooked on audiobooks

I also LOVE Jim Dale, anything narrated by him is bound to be good

For reference my kids are 6 and 7 (almost 8) so that's what I'm familiar with. We've been listening to these for years. I hadn't even discovered MP when we started, and realized that many of our favorites will be in my daughter's lit selections for next year
                          ~Michelle

DD 10 (MP 5)
                          DS 8 (MP 4)
                          DS 2 - board books and causing chaos
                          DD Born 6/27/18

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post

I concur with all of these .....
                            We've had an Audible subscription for a few years, and it's a worthwhile purchase for our homeschooling family. They're running a special for a free trial for 2 audiobooks --- I'm not sure what's available for choosing, but I'm sure you'd find something excellent.

Each month they offer a WhisperSync book --- usually a classic, and the audio and ebook are both free. I haven't figured out what time of month it changes. Right now, it's Pride and Prejudice.

Periodically, they also offer 2 for 1 specials -- 2 books for 1 credit. I racked up during this sale ..... 2 books for me and 4 for the children.

Our library has a lot, but I'm fine challenged --- I can't seem to get it together to beat the deadlines.

Some of my personal favorites:
                            The Blue Fairy Book

Hank the Cowdog --- not high class literature, but seriously funny kid lit.

Black Ships before Troy and Wanderings of Odysseus

The Winnie the Pooh Collection (Stephen Frye, Dame Judy Dench)

The Boxcar Children

The Moffats

How to Train Your Dragon series
                            Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
                            DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
                            DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                            DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                            DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
                            DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post

Each month they offer a WhisperSync book --- usually a classic, and the audio and ebook are both free. I haven't figured out what time of month it changes. Right now, it's Pride and Prejudice.

Where do you see this? I get the daily deal emails, but those are usually nothing I'm interested in. The few times the daily deal is a classic I usually find the kindle book plus audio book for a dollar or two and actually cheaper than their deal. I'd love to know about the free classics.

I am not super high-tech at all. I don't even have a smart phone. So if I've figured this out, anyone can. We have a Roku 3. I upload audio books on CD into my amazon cloud under a genre called Children's Audio. The children can access those books through amazon music on either the TV through Roku or their ad-free kindles. I also buy audio books on audible which they can access on their kindles under the audio books section. Either type of audio book can also be put into the ipod shuffles, but I don't often have time to reload them. So the kindles work well. I do not recommend any of the kids kindle traps, such as amazon free time, etc. They are full of junk. I just get a regular ad-free kindle and put books and audio books on it. Sometimes the kids just listen, sometimes they read along with a paperback, and sometimes they read along with the kindle book which high-lights each sentence as its read. My first grade daughter has read so many novels this way, and then gone back to read them on her own, such as Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. She will often make a game out of going back to read a book she's ready before in one day. If she doesn't make it, she starts the book over the next day and tries again. She did this today with Chitty, Chitty Bang , Bang. My oldest child (6M) hates reading novels. I used audio books for Adam of the Road and The Door in the Wall. It was an incredible help to him for his online class. He was reading aloud in class with so much expression that I almost fell over. I couldn't locate audio books for the next two books, so I read the first half of each of those books with him. I'm hoping that Roku will had an audible app soon, so we can access those on the TV as well. Our TV is mostly used for audiobooks, music, school tracks (Latin, French, music practice), and watching lego videos on youtube. LOL.

I also use audio books for all the MP read alouds. If I can't get the exact book, I find something comparable. I'm going to have to finally put overdrive for the library on my kindle, because there are two books that are not on audible that my library has has downloads for the 4th grade read aloud list.

I also concur with most of those listed above.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Jim Dale is wonderful.

The House at Pooh Corner by Jim Broadbent is the Winnie-the-Pooh we have. I don't think that one is on audible. We love love love it.

The Phantom Tollbooth by David Hyde Pierce

A Child's History of the World

Treasury for Children

The Saturdays

All the Redwall books

The Railway Children

All of a Kind Family

Also, Focus on the Family's Family Theatre Radio has made several dramatized abridged books that are fabulous: Little Women, Anne of Green Gables, The Secret Garden, The Legend of Squanto, and Narnia.

There are so many I know we listen to that I can't even think of off the top of my head. My favorite thing about audio books is the kids will go back and pick a favorite chapter here and there to put on while building legos, taking a bubble bath, drawing, or reading comic books. They are being saturated with well constructed sentences
                              Last edited by happyhappyjoyjoy; 05-18-2016, 07:07 PM. Reason: added a book
                              Christina

Comment

Working...
                              X