Just sharing a little success story ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just sharing a little success story ...

I am hoping this will help those who need a bit of encouragement, especially on the days when studying Latin seems tedious, pointless, and painful. I may not post much, but I read here everyday, looking for encouragement from people I may never meet, but who are living a life very much like my own.

My daughter, Sarah, just finished her senior year. She was a delight to educate. We began studying Latin together with her younger brother when she was 10. (Except on video days, when they would watch the video and Mom would inevitably fall asleep, only to wake an hour later, nestled under a blanket the children had considerately put over me.) By the end of LC II, she was independently studying, and her brother was no longer an interested participant. She went on to First Form, Henle, and finally Wheelock's, as a review. She also watched the Great Courses Latin 101, which really helped clear up a few things for her. She took the NLE twice, scoring one perfect paper and one gold. She has also taught First Form, LCI, and Prima to younger siblings. And, as the icing on the cake, she completed Rod and Staff Grammar through Book 2 of 9/10, "just for fun".

During her senior year, she was studying psychology, and was dismayed at the number of grammatical/syntactical errors in the text. I encouraged her to keep a list of the errors, and e-mail the author after she completed the course. Sarah not only contacted the author, offering to share with him the list, but she also shared with him her love of language, her years of studying Latin, and how the errors in the text distracted from what she believed to be excellent content - finally, she asked him if she could edit the entire text to make it more pleasurable to read. He was so impressed by her that he responded by offering her the opportunity to edit his new book. And she did. She just finished her work, as her senior year came to a close.

I just wanted to share because, over the years, I have defended my choice to educate my kids in this way far too many times. I have fielded the, "Why do you want to teach a dead language? Why don't you teach them something useful?" questions more times than I can count. My daughter learned so much from studying Latin. And, yes, it was hard. And, yes, there were tears ... No, not just from me. Maybe none of my other children will have this same love for Latin or English grammar. But for this one, Latin has opened the door to what very well could be her career. Thank you, Memoria Press, for the materials you publish that made this course of study possible. Sarah is teaching LC I this year, and she loves the updated manuals. When you have a child who can teach Latin to other children, you know you have something special.
    22nd year homeschooling:
    DS 17 (autism, tech genius)
    DD 12, 6A (former micro-preemie; only baby in NICU with a library by her isolette)
    3 bonus students: nephew 13 and twins 8 (SC)
    Graduated:
    DS 29 Working on Master's in Architecture
    DD 20 my right hand: knits incredible things
    Class of '21:
    DD 23, Summa Cum Laude (Self-designed major psych/ communications)
    DS 22 Magna Cum Laude (Philosophy/Music dual major)
    (proof a classical education at home can yield amazing results)

Re: Just sharing a little success story ...

Sabrina, what a profoundly wonderful story!! Thank you so much for taking time to share what it looks like down the long-view. I have nothing to do with your daughter, but I am sitting here proud as a peacock for her. Please give her my heartfelt congratulations! May she continue to reap well from her years of diligent sowing--and you, too! Sounds like you have a great Latin teacher on your hands.
    Warmly,
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
    DS Hillsdale College freshman
    DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
    DD 8th • HLN & Home
    DS 5th • HLN & Home
    Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
    Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

What a beautiful story! Your heart must be swelling with maternal pride watching her develop into such a mature, thoughtful young woman...and editing a text while still in high school? That is just remarkable. Hooray for dead languages, for homeschooling and for reaping the beauty they provide!
      Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
      DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
      DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Wow, Sabrina, that is beautiful! Thank you for sharing. It's nice to hear success stories along the way.
        Tina R
        DS-14 (9th grade) -9M, MPOA Intro to Physics

Comment

Thank you all for sharing in this with me.
          22nd year homeschooling:
          DS 17 (autism, tech genius)
          DD 12, 6A (former micro-preemie; only baby in NICU with a library by her isolette)
          3 bonus students: nephew 13 and twins 8 (SC)
          Graduated:
          DS 29 Working on Master's in Architecture
          DD 20 my right hand: knits incredible things
          Class of '21:
          DD 23, Summa Cum Laude (Self-designed major psych/ communications)
          DS 22 Magna Cum Laude (Philosophy/Music dual major)
          (proof a classical education at home can yield amazing results)

Comment

This is the most encouraging thing I've read in a long, loooong time! You've given me a real shot in the arm today!
            Lisa, mom of 10. They are 29, 27, 25, 23, 21, 19, 17, 15, 13, and 8.

My hands, house, and heart are full!

Comment

I don't post here much either, but I read the forums everyday. I just wanted to say thank you, Sabrina for sharing your daughter's story and accomplishments. This is very touching and encouraging.

I, too, am very proud for you and of you and your daughter. Congratulations on a job well done, and best wishes for continuing successes.

Many Blessings,
              Dawn
              Dawn
              Son and Daughter (twins) 8, MP Second Grade 2016-2017
              Completed Jr. Kindergarten, Kindergarten, First Grade
              Son 22, Corrections Officer, Marching Band Horn line Instructor
              Daughter 17, PS, 3rd year Marching Band, 1st Flute

Comment

Thank you for posting such a wonderful story!
                Des
                3 graduates (used LC1&2, Traditional Logic)
                G (4th grade using old MP core 3, GSWL, Strayer-Upton book 2)
                S (9th grade Abeka US History, Abeka Themes in Literature, Henle Latin w/MP guide, Systematic Mathematics w/LOF, Anatomy and Physiology, Art of Argument)

Comment

Thank you Sabrina, that IS encouraging. I love that she had the confidence to step out and not be intimidated by the author being an author and therefore they both benefitted!
                  -Amy

Nine babies, 6 graduated, 5 married, 17 grand babies 7 and under!
                  2020/21 MP 3rd, 6th, 11th MPOA, College student. Starting 8th year using Memoria Press
                  Director of Coop 412, a Classical Christian Coop using MP and based on Ephesians 4:12.

Comment

Thanks for sharing! We have just begun our Latin journey this year. It's encouraging to see where the road can lead.
                    Joyfully, Courtney
                    DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

Comment

Wow! Congratulations to your daughter. Thank you for sharing.
                      Brit - Catholic homeschooling mom to 5 - 3 big boys ('01, '03, and '06), daughter ('10 - Down syndrome), and one more boy ('15 - always wound up, and non-stop movement and noise)

Comment

Great story! Thanks for sharing!

BTW, I have a personal goal for myself. I never, never allow the comment, "Latin is a dead language" to pass by me uncommented on. No matter the speaker, I make sure to exclaim, "Well, you know, Latin isn't' a dead language at all, since you are technically speaking parts of it right now. It is better described as a timeless language." Of course, I adapt that sentiment to the audience. But, I never allow the incorrect assumption to stand. Latin is TIMELESS, not dead.

Jen
                        DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

Sabrina, I am so glad you shared this with us...This is very encouraging, and I too feel proud of what your daughter has accomplished...

I love hearing stories like this 😊
                          Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
                          DS -21 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, in college
                          DS -17 (9/04) (SN)
                          DS -15 (7/06)

Comment

Working...
                          X