Preparing 4th Grade Student (3A core) for Greek Myths Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Preparing 4th Grade Student (3A core) for Greek Myths Test

I looked over our old files to try to remember my issues with these tests. So- IN test 1: There were 2 questions that weren't directly in the review but were aluded to in the map section (questions 17 and 23) and one of the short answers was not pulled from the lessons (27). However, I think our biggest issue with this test was the large amount of questions in the review section that were not in the lessons- all the tool, weapon, accessory for example and the significance of the map locations. I took us a very long time to do the review section because we had to look things up in the text rather than just in the student guide. Then I had to help him memorize all those new things that we hadn't been memorizing all along since they weren't in the guide or drill questions until the review section. I had mistakenly thought that if I drilled all the drill questions and reviewed all the facts to know and questions from past weeks, that when we got to the review it would all be, well, review. But it wasn't. There were a lot of new questions to answer in the review that had not been answered earlier. It made for a very stressful week trying to get all the review section completed, memorized and ready for the test. Basically I decided this was way too much for my 3rd grader so I decided to not do the tests and just make sure he could answer all the drill questions. It does seem like this test was designed for 5-6th graders and not 3rd graders. Just the sheer amount of information to know was very overwhelming.
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 26, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 24, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 22, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
    (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
    DS, 20, Physics major
    DD, 17, dyslexic, 11th grade customizednMP plus co-op
    DS, 13, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 8A
    DD, 7 , 1ST Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Re: Preparing 4th Grade Student (3A core) for Greek Myths Test

I think this just goes back to Amy's original request for things that are on the test (and thus deemed the most important for each unit) to be flagged somehow in the Teacher Manual as you go through. I do teach to the test because that's what I want mastered for the year. It's my way of mining out the high points and brining the maximum amount of required information down a bit, like I do with most of the other guides, especially literature. I personally wouldn't want the guides simplified because they can currently be used for a range of ages and you'd lose that if they were stripped down.

Instead, I look at it as a huge amount of options that I know I can't all cover. I'm thankful they are there though if someone wants to dig in more. I look at the unit test before we start and go backwards--highlighting all the words to know, vocab, comp questions, map things, activities that are on the test. As we go through each lesson in the unit, I emphasize those and have my students mark them. On the test, I suggest that parents require two or three of the comp questions--parent's choice or let the children choose. Whether oral or written answers are required is up to the parents. To me, this isn't a writing class but a mythology class. We write very good definitions to those ten or so vocabulary words and comp questions that are going to be tested. The rest are simply discussed.

This doesn't help because it's after the fact, but I took the final exam chart of gods and goddesses and used that starting in Lesson 3 to memorize the gods/goddesses and their roles/symbols. I discovered this the end of the first year I taught GM and it has been a great help along with labeling them in the text book on pp. 22-23. We also memorize the 12 names according to the first letter of their names: Z, P, 3 Hs, 2 Ds, 5 As. In class I make a big deal about the map lesson by lesson and we write in the significances when they come up in the Activities sections. They are always in bold. By the review lesson week, it's completed. On review week, I have them highlight the ten words that are on the test to aid quick study. Another option is to complete sections of the review when they come up in the Lessons (i.e. Complete the Four Winds list on p. 55 when you do Lesson 11, pp. 44-45) so the answers are sitting there waiting for you.

Other points of emphasis are the flashcards (my sweet class has them down cold), the drill questions, and the Lists (on page 101/103 depending on your copy).

Just another perspective...for what it's worth.
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
      DS 12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
      DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
      DD 7th • HLN & Home
      DS 4th • HLN & Home
      Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Working...
      X