Preparing 4th Grade Student (3A core) for Greek Myths Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preparing 4th Grade Student (3A core) for Greek Myths Test

On a good day, when it is time for my 4th grader (using 3A curriculum) to take a Greek Myths test, I try to remember to look at my test key and go through his study guide and highlight the items he will specifically need to know. For me, it would be SO helpful if the study guide was all the student had to refer to when studying for the test. However, there are comprehension questions on the test (and possibly other things too that I missed) that are not on the study guide which then make it necessary to hunt through each of the five chapters that the test covers to find the question and then highlight it. Also, sometimes the items on the test are worded differently or asked completely differently on the study guide. Guess this sounds a little lazy. Just think it would be super if the study guide could stand alone as what they needed to reference to prepare for the test. Especially for Greek Myths, the study guides are very involved and require a lot of work on the student's part.

Just thanks for listening!
    Sincerely,
    One worn out mama of four

Re: Preparing 4th Grade Student (3A core) for Greek Myths Test

Amy,
    This doesn't solve your problems with the comprehension questions, but Quizlet is a great way to review for tests...Here's a link to some already made for Greek Myths:
    https://quizlet.com/subject/MP-greek-myths-test/
    HTH!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
    DS 12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
    DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
    DD 7th • HLN & Home
    DS 4th • HLN & Home
    Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

I'll have a teacher look at this during the summer and adjust it. I know it doesn't help you this year, but I hope it gives you pleasure that your note to us will make things easier for future students!

Tanya

Comment

I know this was asked a while ago but I would just like to ask that when doing the re-write or making adjustments, this doesn't become a teaching to the test type workbook.

Higher level skills are required to do the type of review that it seems the original study guide includes. I like that. I see the OP's point of course, but feelt it is important to state that these skills are required of high school and college students.

Mind you, I don't have these specific books but just ask that a nice moderation of both points be aimed for.

Comment

Originally posted by momee View Post
          I know this was asked a while ago but I would just like to ask that when doing the re-write or making adjustments, this doesn't become a teaching to the test type workbook.

Higher level skills are required to do the type of review that it seems the original study guide includes. I like that. I see the OP's point of course, but feelt it is important to state that these skills are required of high school and college students.

Mind you, I don't have these specific books but just ask that a nice moderation of both points be aimed for.
          Since Greek Myths is used for 3rd and 4th graders, I think the OP makes a good point as students need to be taught gradually how to deepen their study skills.

That being said, in some of the Teacher Manuals for literature, they place an asterisk next to vocabulary and comprehension questions that will be included on the test. I think this is a great help for the teacher, while not detracting from the in-depth nature of the guides. I would love to see it extended to other subjects!

Maybe for older students, where more complex reviews are age-appropriate, it would be possible for the test keys to reference the page numbers that have the answers for the particular questions on the tests? This would allow for deeper study skills, while giving teachers a simple way to guide students through tough spots in their study-time.
          Last edited by jen1134; 11-02-2016, 04:01 PM.
          Jennifer
          Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
          DS18: Almost done!
          DS17: MP, MPOA
          DS15: MP, MPOA
          DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
          DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
          DD9: SC3
          DD6: MPK

Comment

I hear you! GM is one of the older guides and not as well thought out, test wise. There are questions on the test that are not in the review or drill questions. They tend to be silly trivial questions too, not concept questions.
            I totally disagree with "not teaching to the test." This isn't public school trivial pursuit tests. This material is meant to be drilled and memorized. The tests are meant to make sure it is memorized. This is 3rd grade not 11th. No way should a 3rd grader be expected to memorized every little detail in 5 chapters just in case it is on a test. Those kind of tests (used in many schools) are pointless and give a bad rap to "teaching to the test." MP tests, usually, test the key info that is intended to be memorized and kept in memory year after year. Greek Myths is not about "gaining skills" like math, Latin, or reading. It is about learning facts of our cultural history. It is about learning key names and stories. It is 3rd grade- it's about the teacher helping the student remember important facts and ideas.
            I agree with the OP. We were blindsided the first test. We drilled the review section and the drill questions, yet there were small details on the test that were not in any review or in any way pointed out to the teacher to be sure to teach.
            Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
            DD, 26, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
            DS, 24, BS '18 mechanical engineering
            DS, 22, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
            (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
            DS, 20, Physics major
            DD, 17, dyslexic, 11th grade customizednMP plus co-op
            DS, 13, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 8A
            DD, 7 , 1ST Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Originally posted by momgineer View Post
              I hear you! GM is one of the older guides and not as well thought out, test wise. There are questions on the test that are not in the review or drill questions. They tend to be silly trivial questions too, not concept questions.
              I totally disagree with "not teaching to the test." This isn't public school trivial pursuit tests. This material is meant to be drilled and memorized. The tests are meant to make sure it is memorized. This is 3rd grade not 11th. No way should a 3rd grader be expected to memorized every little detail in 5 chapters just in case it is on a test. Those kind of tests (used in many schools) are pointless and give a bad rap to "teaching to the test." MP tests, usually, test the key info that is intended to be memorized and kept in memory year after year. Greek Myths is not about "gaining skills" like math, Latin, or reading. It is about learning facts of our cultural history. It is about learning key names and stories. It is 3rd grade- it's about the teacher helping the student remember important facts and ideas.
              I agree with the OP. We were blindsided the first test. We drilled the review section and the drill questions, yet there were small details on the test that were not in any review or in any way pointed out to the teacher to be sure to teach.
              As an aside...thank you for this view on the "teaching to the test" concept! I've seen many MP moms encourage us to be familiar with what is on the test so that we can properly prepare our kids. I've been following that advice, with much success, but have definitely been torn over it. Your explanation of the test being a way to ensure solid, long-term memory (rather than just learn it for the test so you can pass and then forget it) is just what I needed to hear!
              Jennifer
              Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
              DS18: Almost done!
              DS17: MP, MPOA
              DS15: MP, MPOA
              DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
              DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
              DD9: SC3
              DD6: MPK

Comment

I will add that teaching this way in a couple of subjects helps to train students how to study. We are highlighting the important material. Facts and people you need to know as main characters or characters, places or facts key in the continuing story line. We are teaching them how to study.

Blessings,
                Michelle T

Comment

And I can add that the long term picture does move students toward that ability well. We are using a textbook for history (the same one MPOA uses) and my daughter is using the same study approach with it that she has learned from her other classes. It is going really well and she is learning a lot.

AMDG,
                  Sarah
                  2020-2021
                  16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                  DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                  DS, 17
                  DD, 15
                  DD, 13
                  DD, 11
                  DD, 9
                  DD, 7
                  +DS+
                  DS, 2

Comment

All great points. I definitely see the effort required for a student to both memorize and be generally familiar with the material. Two different skills.

I appreciate the things brought up here.

Comment

Originally posted by momgineer View Post
                      I don't know if I would agree that it wasn't well thought out test wise as much as it was never intended for third grade. It just seems like it targeted older students. Comparing to something like the states and capitals course which MP wrote for 3rd grade there is no comparison. It has big spaces to write and geared toward the intended age group. I contend that Memoria Press didn't need to split up third grade into two years as much as make a few of the older guides more age appropriate to the grade level where they were being placed. My third grader doesn't want a Greek myth or a Bible story every other week, he just needs a test and a study guide that doesn't look like it was meant for a seventh or eighth grader. Astronomy gives room to write, but I don't care if I help him or not, that salvation history timeline in Christian studies is over his level and a four page test for Greek myths is not age appropriate. I could get him there, but I don't think the effort to do so is worth the time and agony for either of us. On the third time through I am not even trying to give the Greek Myths test. I really like the drill questions that were added to the guide my second time through the guide and now we just go over what is included in the review box in the curriculum manual and 100 drill questions and call it good for testing. Good luck on whatever you decide!

Dorinda
                      Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
                      15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
                      DD College Freshman
                      DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
                      DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
                      DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Hello.

Can someone give me some examples of the test questions that aren't in the lessons for Greek Myths? I feel like we rewrote these tests a couple of years ago, and I'm wondering if you have an old version. If not, I want to get this corrected.

Thanks,

Tanya

Comment

It's not that they aren't in the lessons- it's that they aren't in the review. This was last year for us so I'd need to pull out stashed books. I'm pretty sure I had PDF tests so I would think they were the most recent, but I could be remembering wrong. Maybe I did use my old TG. I was pretty sure I had made sure I had all the most recent versions though. I'll see what I can find tomorrow.
                          Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
                          DD, 26, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
                          DS, 24, BS '18 mechanical engineering
                          DS, 22, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
                          (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
                          DS, 20, Physics major
                          DD, 17, dyslexic, 11th grade customizednMP plus co-op
                          DS, 13, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 8A
                          DD, 7 , 1ST Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Momgineer,

Don't worry about it. I'll look at it myself. I know specifically what to look for now.

We really should have everything on the review that's on the tests for 3rd grade.

Tanya

Comment

I'm teaching it this year at HLN and we didn't notice any omissions on review 1/test 1. We have review #2 next week, so I'll keep a look out.
                              Festina lentē,
                              Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
                              DS 12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
                              DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
                              DD 7th • HLN & Home
                              DS 4th • HLN & Home
                              Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Working...
                              X