Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catholic Studies Supplement --- time frame?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Re: Catholic Studies Supplement --- time frame?

    Anita,
    Just thought I'd add in that my autistic oldest son was not able to attend Mass until he was eleven and did not make his First Holy Communion until he was thirteen. For years my husband and I attended Masses at different times with different combinations of our other children. People didn't even realize we were married to each other for a long time. The parish we attended (big, suburban, modern, lots of clapping) actually would have given him his First Communion whenever we told the DRE that he was ready, no questions asked. They had a reputation in our area for being the parish that would bend the rules. Very much a "well, at least they are showing up" mindset. But it was important to us that he had some idea of what was going on, to not think it was just a wafer or a symbol. It took years of repetition to get him to the point where he understood the basics. Those Brother Francis DVD's were a big help.
    Oddly enough, we started attending a TLM parish (FSSP) soon after his First Communion. It has a reputation for being uncompromising. No one receives First Communion or Confirmation without passing a thorough interview with a priest. And they will have them come back until they pass the interview. I know I had prepared my son to a level that they would find acceptable, given his intellectual capabilities. But they wouldn't have just let us slip through. From the very first time we visited, he was able to attend Mass without looking like he was really struggling to hold everything together. (No clapping, reverent surroundings, better music, much less coming and going, etc...) Now he can calmly attend the Rosary before, a Sung High Mass, and Benediction afterwards, which clocks in at about two hours or more. When attending the Novus Ordo Mass, he needed to be taken out a few times in just 45 minutes to deal with the overstimulation.
    The TLM parish is about thirty miles from where we live, and we pass several other churches on the way. But knowing that the whole family is receiving orthodox teaching (even the hard stuff that wasn't ever mentioned in the multiple parishes we previously attended in various states), not to mention the supreme beauty of the Mass, makes every one of those miles worth it. Sometimes a little uncompromising is a good thing. It reminds me of the Chesterton quote: "I don't need a church to tell me I'm wrong where I already know I'm wrong; I need a Church to tell me I'm wrong where I think I'm right."
    Blessings,
    Jude

    DD 20, DS 17, DS 14, DS 12, DD 10, DS 7, DD 6

    Comment


      #32
      Re: Catholic Studies Supplement --- time frame?

      I would be curious to hear people's take on the practice of the Byzantine Rite Catholic churches giving Communion to newborn infants and to children not yet at the age of reason- especially given that this ancient custom is completely approved and accepted by Rome. I struggle with this. To my mind the Roman tradition of making children wait until they understand (for who among us can really understand?) is odd. Did not Christ say "Suffer the little ones to come unto me, and do not hinder them.? Maybe this is not the place for me to ask the question-
      Last edited by Girlnumber20; 06-04-2017, 06:30 PM.
      DD 12, using 6M core with 7th Grade COTR
      DS 10, using 5M core

      Comment


        #33
        Re: Catholic Studies Supplement --- time frame?

        Maria2,
        I think the most common response you will get is "Their rite, their rules." I can see the logic in both. Just as the faith of the parents stands for the faith of the infant being baptized (baptism being the new circumcision), it makes sense that the same would hold true for Holy Communion. I do not think the graces of a sacrament rely upon the intellectual capacity of one receiving it. But at the same time, I can see why profanation would be a problem in the absence of proper catechesis later on. And boy, is proper catechesis an issue right now. I remember seeing kids pop the sacred hosts into their mouths like they were snacking on Doritos. That would have been my son without a whole lot of preparation. I believe we still have some Latin Rite parishes which perform Confirmation at the same time infants are baptized. And of course the little secret among most dioceses is that Confirmation is only withheld until around age 13 to make the kids continue to attend religious education classes. At our current parish, as soon as you can pass the interview, you can be confirmed. I can't see our bishop allowing us to do otherwise.
        At our old parish, the Teen Youth Minister tried to strong-arm me into having my oldest daughter attend the confirmation prep year. A kid who hasn't been to religious education (or possibly Mass) since their First Communion could attend that year and be confirmed. But a homeschooled, daily Mass-attending teen who didn't want to attend the warm and fuzzy preparation was rocking the boat. I had to cite Canon Law to get her excused. Bear in mind, at a Rite of Welcoming (???), this same Youth Minister told the prospective confirmandi and their parents that a) chrism was kind of like Axe body spray, used in ancient times for hygiene purposes, b) confirmation was created by the Church, not instituted by Christ, c) Baptism removes not only original sin, but also our inclination to sin, and d) Baptism of babies was not the practice in the early Church. Check, please.
        Blessings,
        Jude

        DD 20, DS 17, DS 14, DS 12, DD 10, DS 7, DD 5

        Comment


          #34
          Re: Catholic Studies Supplement --- time frame?

          Originally posted by SaintJude7 View Post
          Anita,
          Just thought I'd add in that my autistic oldest son was not able to attend Mass until he was eleven and did not make his First Holy Communion until he was thirteen. For years my husband and I attended Masses at different times with different combinations of our other children. People didn't even realize we were married to each other for a long time. The parish we attended (big, suburban, modern, lots of clapping) actually would have given him his First Communion whenever we told the DRE that he was ready, no questions asked. They had a reputation in our area for being the parish that would bend the rules. Very much a "well, at least they are showing up" mindset. But it was important to us that he had some idea of what was going on, to not think it was just a wafer or a symbol. It took years of repetition to get him to the point where he understood the basics. Those Brother Francis DVD's were a big help.
          Oddly enough, we started attending a TLM parish (FSSP) soon after his First Communion. It has a reputation for being uncompromising. No one receives First Communion or Confirmation without passing a thorough interview with a priest. And they will have them come back until they pass the interview. I know I had prepared my son to a level that they would find acceptable, given his intellectual capabilities. But they wouldn't have just let us slip through. From the very first time we visited, he was able to attend Mass without looking like he was really struggling to hold everything together. (No clapping, reverent surroundings, better music, much less coming and going, etc...) Now he can calmly attend the Rosary before, a Sung High Mass, and Benediction afterwards, which clocks in at about two hours or more. When attending the Novus Ordo Mass, he needed to be taken out a few times in just 45 minutes to deal with the overstimulation.
          The TLM parish is about thirty miles from where we live, and we pass several other churches on the way. But knowing that the whole family is receiving orthodox teaching (even the hard stuff that wasn't ever mentioned in the multiple parishes we previously attended in various states), not to mention the supreme beauty of the Mass, makes every one of those miles worth it. Sometimes a little uncompromising is a good thing. It reminds me of the Chesterton quote: "I don't need a church to tell me I'm wrong where I already know I'm wrong; I need a Church to tell me I'm wrong where I think I'm right."
          Blessings,
          Jude

          DD 20, DS 17, DS 14, DS 12, DD 10, DS 7, DD 6
          Our "uncompromising parish" is FSSP. We love it. Even when it challenges us -- BECAUSE it challenges us. The "new parish" had no clapping, craziness or guitar riffs, but it still wasn't quite right for us. My husband *detested* it. Winston has been at weekly Mass since he was an infant and he's always loved it. But I, like you, want him to have a grasp of what he's doing when he receives communion. I don't want him to receive just "because". So.... yeah. We'll wait. And his First Holy Communion will be sweeter, because we will know that he comprehends what a mystery is. Otherwise, he just thinks he's doing what everyone else does. That's fine for building his sense of community, but not necessarily his sense of love. We want him to love the Eucharist. He can't love a piece of bread. He has to understand Who is present in the bread. He doesn't have to feel it, he just has to know it and respect it. Barring that comprehension, he doesn't strictly need Communion because he's not accountable for sin since he hasn't reached "the age of reason", no matter his chronological age.

          I get it. My mama's heart had a hard time with it. But I'm at peace with it now.
          Boy Wonder: 10, MP2/SC4 (Special Needs)
          Joy Bubble: 8, MP2 (Special Needs)
          Snuggly Cowboy: 6, MPK
          Sweet Lightness: 2, Reverse-Engineering Specialist

          “Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
          ~Pope St John Paul II

          Comment


            #35
            Re: Catholic Studies Supplement --- time frame?

            Originally posted by SaintJude7 View Post
            Maria2,
            I think the most common response you will get is "Their rite, their rules." I can see the logic in both. Just as the faith of the parents stands for the faith of the infant being baptized (baptism being the new circumcision), it makes sense that the same would hold true for Holy Communion. I do not think the graces of a sacrament rely upon the intellectual capacity of one receiving it. But at the same time, I can see why profanation would be a problem in the absence of proper catechesis later on. And boy, is proper catechesis an issue right now. I remember seeing kids pop the sacred hosts into their mouths like they were snacking on Doritos. That would have been my son without a whole lot of preparation. I believe we still have some Latin Rite parishes which perform Confirmation at the same time infants are baptized. And of course the little secret among most dioceses is that Confirmation is only withheld until around age 13 to make the kids continue to attend religious education classes. At our current parish, as soon as you can pass the interview, you can be confirmed. I can't see our bishop allowing us to do otherwise.
            At our old parish, the Teen Youth Minister tried to strong-arm me into having my oldest daughter attend the confirmation prep year. A kid who hasn't been to religious education (or possibly Mass) since their First Communion could attend that year and be confirmed. But a homeschooled, daily Mass-attending teen who didn't want to attend the warm and fuzzy preparation was rocking the boat. I had to cite Canon Law to get her excused. Bear in mind, at a Rite of Welcoming (???), this same Youth Minister told the prospective confirmandi and their parents that a) chrism was kind of like Axe body spray, used in ancient times for hygiene purposes, b) confirmation was created by the Church, not instituted by Christ, c) Baptism removes not only original sin, but also our inclination to sin, and d) Baptism of babies was not the practice in the early Church. Check, please.
            Blessings,
            Jude

            DD 20, DS 17, DS 14, DS 12, DD 10, DS 7, DD 5
            HA!

            Yup: your rite, your rules.

            I go by what the Roman Catholic Church magesterium says. They know better than I. I cannot comment on any other denomination, sect or practice, just mine. And there's plenty here to comment on! (Yikes!)
            Boy Wonder: 10, MP2/SC4 (Special Needs)
            Joy Bubble: 8, MP2 (Special Needs)
            Snuggly Cowboy: 6, MPK
            Sweet Lightness: 2, Reverse-Engineering Specialist

            “Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
            ~Pope St John Paul II

            Comment


              #36
              Re: Catholic Studies Supplement --- time frame?

              Originally posted by Anita View Post
              He has to understand Who is present in the bread. .
              Hey there Anita! Just a little slip there...not "in" - appearance same, substance different. No longer bread. I know you know, but just wanted to catch it.

              So glad things are going better for you guys!!

              AMDG,
              Sarah
              2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
              DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
              DS, 16
              DD, 14
              DD, 12
              DD, 10
              DD, 7.5
              DD, 5.5
              +DS+
              DS, 18 months

              Comment


                #37
                Re: Catholic Studies Supplement --- time frame?

                Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
                Paul,
                Do we have an updated time frame for Catholic Studies? Beta? I'm looking ahead to the fall and keeping my fingers crossed.
                Dianna,

                We are hoping to have a couple levels ready this fall.

                Paul
                Paul Schaeffer
                --
                Director, Schools Division
                Memoria Press

                Comment


                  #38
                  Re: Catholic Studies Supplement --- time frame?

                  Originally posted by pschaeffer View Post
                  Dianna,

                  We are hoping to have a couple levels ready this fall.

                  Paul
                  EEK!!!

                  *regains composure*
                  Jennifer
                  Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

                  DS16
                  MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
                  MPOA: High School Comp. II
                  HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

                  DS15
                  MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
                  MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
                  HSC: Modern European History

                  DS12
                  7M with:
                  Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

                  DS11
                  SC Level 4

                  DD9
                  3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

                  DD7/8
                  Still in SC Level 2

                  DD 4/5
                  SC Level C

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Re: Catholic Studies Supplement --- time frame?

                    Originally posted by pschaeffer View Post
                    Dianna,

                    We are hoping to have a couple levels ready this fall.

                    Paul
                    Oh my! Any idea which levels?!! In other words, do I need to change my religion plans?
                    Susan

                    2018-2019
                    A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
                    C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
                    G (5) - Simply Classical C

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Re: Catholic Studies Supplement --- time frame?

                      Originally posted by sfhargett View Post
                      Oh my! Any idea which levels?!! In other words, do I need to change my religion plans?
                      K and 1st if we can get it done.

                      Paul
                      Paul Schaeffer
                      --
                      Director, Schools Division
                      Memoria Press

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Re: Catholic Studies Supplement --- time frame?

                        Originally posted by pschaeffer View Post
                        k and 1st if we can get it done.

                        Paul
                        hurray!!!!
                        Amanda
                        Mama to three crazy boys - 6A, 5A, 1

                        "Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Re: Catholic Studies Supplement --- time frame?

                          Any update on this? I know it's not technically fall yet, but we might be a little excited.
                          Amanda
                          Mama to three crazy boys - 6A, 5A, 1

                          "Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Re: Catholic Studies Supplement --- time frame?

                            Originally posted by Nerdmom View Post
                            Any update on this? I know it's not technically fall yet, but we might be a little excited.
                            No pressure, Paul, but I have lots of folks in my local circles (as well as online) who keep asking.
                            Plans for 2019-20

                            DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
                            DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
                            DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                            DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                            DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
                            DS6 - 5 - MP K

                            [url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Re: Catholic Studies Supplement --- time frame?

                              Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
                              No pressure, Paul, but I have lots of folks in my local circles (as well as online) who keep asking.
                              Both of these levels are in the proofing stages. Give us a month and I hope we will at least have a small batch sent to the printer.

                              Paul
                              Paul Schaeffer
                              --
                              Director, Schools Division
                              Memoria Press

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Re: Catholic Studies Supplement --- time frame?

                                Hurray! Thanks a bunch!
                                Amanda
                                Mama to three crazy boys - 6A, 5A, 1

                                "Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X