X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OT: Head-up Baby and ECV

Originally posted by Anita View Post
    Hi Ladies

Just went to the midwife today and found that Le Bebe #4 is still head-up (never happened before). The doc is scheduling me for an ECV (or "version") next week to see if we can turn her head-down. I've also been given information on chiropractic care (...meh...), acupuncture (uhm...) and exercises to do to turn her naturally (hot and cold packs, music or light, inverted lying, etc.). There are two docs in town who will deliver breech, if it comes to that, but they are not at our hospital. C-Section is a last -- LAST! -- resort.

The success rate of an ECV at (what will be) 37 weeks is about 65% with a 6% risk of reversion. The odds of serious complications are very low. So we're optimistic. Wanted to ask for prayers and get any good thoughts on this from any mamas who've been through this. I went with a midwife this time and was feeling good about natural birth (after 3 inductions in another state that doesn't recognize midwifery or allow much natural birthing -- home births in my home state are illegal, for example). But we are planning on a midwife-assisted hospital delivery -- so it feels like the best of both worlds for natural outcome and safety. Now.... That's a little up in the air.

Thoughts and hugs?
    Hugs, thoughts and prayers!! I have heard from two sides..it's very painful and then it's not bad at all. Treat it like a natural child birth. Breathe and focus and give it to mama Mary!

My twins came very early so I didn't have much of a choice but would have tried everything to avoid that c-section. However, the recovery wasn't bad at all..managed with no pain meds..but there is nothing like that natural child birth experience! Amazing! Madeleine came "regular" and Cora flipped after her sis was out and went into distress so she came by c-section. She has been a stinker since!

Keep us posted!
    Katie

DS 17: Senior!
    DD 14: 10th
    DD 10: 6th
    Twin DD's 8: 3rd
    Mix of MP, Co-op, TAN and traveling the U.S

Comment

Originally posted by Anita View Post
      I have an appt for a "Webster" tomorrow at a local chiro... I'm honestly not a believer in chiro care, but whatever. If it works, it works. My hips and pelvis have been wacky with this baby since the first trimester. If I get relief -- hey! -- beats the immobility of not being able to walk some nights.

The acupuncture option, honestly, is laughable. (Sorry to offend anyone who is a devotee of acupuncture.) It's some herb (that smells like something illegal, according to my midwife) that is burned and then rubbed onto a needle, which is then cooled and placed on the outside of my fifth toe. :ridiculously amused face: And it's $100, off insurance. (Are you kidding?) No.

"Clementine", after St Clement. It means "merciful". Her first and middle names combined mean, "merciful gift of God."

(Imagining the sweet, collective, "Awwwwwww!" going up from the room. )
      Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

I said it for the whole group.

Love it!!
      Katie

DS 17: Senior!
      DD 14: 10th
      DD 10: 6th
      Twin DD's 8: 3rd
      Mix of MP, Co-op, TAN and traveling the U.S

Comment

Anita,

Thank you for asking this question and letting us know of your situation! I could be facing a similar one in the next couple of weeks, since our baby was transverse in early April and does not seem to be head down. I'm appreciating the advice and comments you are getting. Like you, this is my fourth baby, and the thought of a C-section scares me, although I know it would probably turn out fine.
        I'll keep you and the little one in prayer. Keep us posted

Emily
        2019-20
        DS--9, 3M/4M
        DD--7, mix of 1 and 2
        DD--5, MP K
        DS--3
        DS--1

Comment

Webster worked for me and Spinning Babies for my last one, #6. However I needed the midwives to help with the side lying exercise because that's a little tricky. But I was having trouble with baby being tranverse and then not engaging during labor. You have a couple weeks to go, some babies just wait to get into position at the end. I have a couple friends with a heads up baby flip with the ironing board.
          Last edited by Courtney; 04-26-2016, 10:48 AM.
          Courtney
          Mom to 5 boys-14,13,10,8,5 and the girls- 3 and 1

Comment

Hi Anita, hugs and prayers for you and baby! My now 16yo daughter was breech. Not only that, she had engaged bum-down. Honestly, I wanted to try for a breech birth, as both my homebirth midwife and my doctor had lots of experience with breech births, and I wasn't nervous about it; but then she was growing 'too big' for them to be comfortable. (They both preferred a breech baby in the 6-8lb zone and they thought she'd be bigger: she was, at 9lbs). Anyhow, I did try the tilt board and acupuncture, but for me they didn't work. The results do seem variable, from woman to woman! So I had the external version, in hospital, done by a doctor who had gone to high school with my mother! For me, yes, it was pretty painful. As I say, my daughter had really settled in, readying herself for birth, so the doctor really had work at manipulating her. But in the end it worked and once flipped she stayed head down, and I went on to birth her at home as planned.

Praying all goes well for you!
            homeschooling mother to a 16yo boy & 18yo girl, both learning at the high school level, and an adult son whom I homeschooled all the way through. You are welcome to read more about our homeschooling life at my blog: link via my username. Please forgive any typos in my comments here! I'm disabled and can't always type clearly.

Comment

No experience with this situation but add me to the list of those praying for you!!
              -Amy

Nine babies, 6 graduated, 5 married, 17 grand babies 7 and under!
              2020/21 MP 3rd, 6th, 11th MPOA, College student. Starting 8th year using Memoria Press
              Director of Coop 412, a Classical Christian Coop using MP and based on Ephesians 4:12.

Comment

Hi! I hope everything goes well for you!

When I had my twins, Baby A was head down. I wasn't a huge believer in chiropractic care either, but I had several Webster appointments...and she flipped! I was so relieved. The extra bonus was that it really did help me feel better!

Prayers for a safe delivery and healthy baby!

blair
                Blair

Mom to 6 sweet girls and finally a boy!
                SB - 9 - starting MP 5M
                A - 7 - starting MP 3rd
                M - 5 - starting MP 1st
                F & SG - 4 year old identical twinners
                CJ - a rascally, busy 2 year old
                GH - 4/17/2017, much adored, baby brother!

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
                  Webster worked for me and Spinning Babies for my last one, #6. However I needed the midwives to help with the side lying exercise because that's a little tricky. But I was having trouble with baby being tranverse and then not engaging during labor. You have a couple weeks to go, some babies just wait to get into position at the end. I have a couple friends with a heads up baby flip with the ironing board.
                  So ...... you mean an exercise tells you to get on an ironing board, like head down?

Somehow, I imagine it smushing me like a lawn chair. The visual is just too funny not to laugh.
                  Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
                  DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, looking at dual credit - equestrian and theatre
                  DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
                  DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis -auditory processing disorder
                  DD5 - 10- 5A, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
                  DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Comment

Praying baby turns.
                    Des
                    3 graduates (used LC1&2, Traditional Logic)
                    G (4th grade using old MP core 3, GSWL, Strayer-Upton book 2)
                    S (9th grade Abeka US History, Abeka Themes in Literature, Henle Latin w/MP guide, Systematic Mathematics w/LOF, Anatomy and Physiology, Art of Argument)

Comment

Originally posted by Emilylovesbooks View Post
                      Anita,

Thank you for asking this question and letting us know of your situation! I could be facing a similar one in the next couple of weeks, since our baby was transverse in early April and does not seem to be head down. I'm appreciating the advice and comments you are getting. Like you, this is my fourth baby, and the thought of a C-section scares me, although I know it would probably turn out fine.
                      I'll keep you and the little one in prayer. Keep us posted

Emily
                      Thank you, Emily. You are in my prayers as well.
                      “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
                      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                      Wonder Boy 14 ... MP5 + R&S Math 6
                      Joy Bubble 12 ... MP5 full core
                      Cowboy 10 ... MP5 + R&S Math 4
                      Sassafras 6 ... MP1
                      All … SSPX Catechesis

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
                        So ...... you mean an exercise tells you to get on an ironing board, like head down?

Somehow, I imagine it smushing me like a lawn chair. The visual is just too funny not to laugh.
                        Yes. You prop one end up on the couch or the bed and the other end rests on the floor. You're supposed to get on and hang out (crown of your head close to the floor, feet close to the couch or bed) for several minutes at a time, several times a day.

:blank stare:

I... I just... Uhm....
                        “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
                        Sassafras 6 ... MP1
                        All … SSPX Catechesis

Comment

So:

1) Chiro was a bust. I took the time and effort to find them, make the appointment, give them my insurance info, my drivers license, show up on time -- with three kids at lunchtime -- at 36.5 weeks pregnant and they repaid me with an isolated, ignoring, 30 minutes of no attention or concern in their (tiny) waiting room. (Shrug) They apparently didn't need my business. So we left and went to Chick Fil A. (Not bitter.)

2) ECV is scheduled for next Friday, May 6th at noon. (We have to check in early so it's more like 10AM.) It's in-hospital, on the L&D floor, with an IV, ultrasound, doc, nurse and anesthesia standing by. Not a big deal at all (SARCASM ALERT). I'm not scared or worried either (MORE SARCASM). Pray this baby turns.

3) Til then! Wacky exercises, cold packs, headphones and flashlights on my tummy and prayer. Trying not to stress about it. We want a HEALTHY baby. Whether she turns or not or however she comes into the world is secondary to that. Greatly appreciate the love, lady-ma'ams.

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
                          Sassafras 6 ... MP1
                          All … SSPX Catechesis

Comment

Virtual hug for a tired momma!

AMDG,
                            Sarah
                            2020-2021
                            16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                            DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                            DS, 17
                            DD, 15
                            DD, 13
                            DD, 11
                            DD, 9
                            DD, 7
                            +DS+
                            DS, 2

Comment

UPDATE:
                              ECV is today at noon, but we check in to the hospital at 10AM. I'm doing okay... Nervous. HUNGRY (not allowed to eat anything until after it's over -- cruel and unusual for nine months pregnant).

Thank you for your prayers. Hoping all is well with you, too.

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
                              Sassafras 6 ... MP1
                              All … SSPX Catechesis

Comment

Carrying you and little one in out hearts today, Anita. Praying for a favorable outcome!
                                Festina lentē,
                                Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
                                DS Hillsdale College freshman
                                DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
                                DD 8th • HLN & Home
                                DS 5th • HLN & Home
                                Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
                                Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X