Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum-friend Request: Consider Adding a Signature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forum-friend Request: Consider Adding a Signature?

Originally posted by Jen in Japan View Post
    Ha, ha.. you guys make it seem like we can disaparate to the USA. Wouldn't THAT be nice!

Naww... the "stuff" takes 12 weeks by sea. We will probably leave here in late June so we can wrap up the graduating Senior's school year. Then begins a long tedious process of living in the parents' spare room(s) for many, many weeks, with lots of visiting of other relatives to spread out the pain (but usually floor sleeping). I tell you... moving is for the young.

Yes, DD accepted CUA just a few weeks ago. I am so thrilled for her! She wants to be part of the March for Life every year along with getting a good education. She had her choices down to 3 very substantial Catholic schools, but opted for CUA. We are psyched over here.

Thanks for the nice warm wishes! I may be sporadic with my posts over the remainder of the spring and summer. In the meantime, I shall consider my options for a new user name. I have been in Japan since 2005. *Maybe* a location-based user name isn't my best choice?!

Jen
    I was wondering where you went too. All good news Jen. You will have to keep us updated.

I used to be *carmelitemom* back in 2013...then when I made a full return, I just opened a new account and changed my username since I had a different email anyway. Didn't think to contact anyone. That would have been the smart thing to do.
    PAX,
    Theresa

ds -27-ICU Nurse
    ds -24-Grad school: DeSales U. Physician's Assistant Program
    dd -21-Working and taking online courses for vet tech
    dd -12-7M along with some MPOA classes

"I am a product of long corridors, empty sunlit rooms, upstairs indoor silences, attics explored in solitude, distant noises of gurgling cisterns and pipes, and the noise of wind under the tiles. Also, of endless books." -C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Benedictine15 View Post
      Yay Debbie! Nice to meet you and the family ! Seems the science/math genes are being passed on LOL!
      Heeheehee! All except my oldest. We call her our outcast and threatened to disown her (totally joking here), but then she chose to take calculus as her math class instead of the recommended college algebra, so we let her back in the family. She is actually a very talented artist with an entrepreneur spirit (has her own jewelry crafting business that is more than paying her rent at school). Yeah, we are total math/science geeks here.
      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
      DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
      DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
      DS, 21, chemistry major
      DS, 18, Physics major
      DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
      DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
      DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Originally posted by momgineer View Post
        Heeheehee! All except my oldest. We call her our outcast and threatened to disown her (totally joking here), but then she chose to take calculus as her math class instead of the recommended college algebra, so we let her back in the family. She is actually a very talented artist with an entrepreneur spirit (has her own jewelry crafting business that is more than paying her rent at school). Yeah, we are total math/science geeks here.
        Haha!

Good for her! Not many college kid can boast that .
        PAX,
        Theresa

ds -27-ICU Nurse

"I am a product of long corridors, empty sunlit rooms, upstairs indoor silences, attics explored in solitude, distant noises of gurgling cisterns and pipes, and the noise of wind under the tiles. Also, of endless books." -C.S. Lewis

Comment

Debbie,
          Where is she going to school for graphic design/illustration? I have one dd with quite a knack....

AMDG,
          Sarah
          2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
          DD, 19, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
          DS, 16
          DD, 14
          DD, 12
          DD, 10
          DD, 8
          DD, 6
          +DS+
          DS, 2

Comment

Just trying out the signature. It has been fun to see people's signatures. Thanks for telling me that it was something that even existed.
            Dorinda

For 2019-2020
            DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
            DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
            DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
            DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
              Debbie,
              Where is she going to school for graphic design/illustration? I have one dd with quite a knack....

AMDG,
              Sarah
              She is just attending a state school- Missouri State University. She did not want to attend an art institute for two reasons-1. money 2. she wanted a true college education and not just art. She chose Missouri State because we live in MO and it is the best art school of the state schools and they gave her an almost full tuition scholarship. I must say we are quite disappointed with it, but it costs way too much to transfer anywhere else. She is part of the honors college and all her honors gen ed classes are great and the fine art classes are good, but the design and illustration department suffers from poor leadership and very rude professors. But at least she will graduate with little to no debt (no debt yet at the end of 3 of 5 years). Because she is a dual major it takes 5 years to get in all the design plus illustration classes. She loves illustration best, but recognizes that it is a very hard field to break into enough to earn a living. Graphic design is much more conducive to getting a full time job. YOu can visit her website at shaylynnann.com if you want to see some of her work. She has an email on her website and you should feel free to contact her if you want to ask her any advice for your daughter. I will say we bought her an Adobe Creative suite when she was 16 so she could self teach the software needed for design and get experience before she went off to college and that was a great experience for her. She managed to get into a group of teens who started publishing an online teen literary magazine and she did much of the graphic design for them while in high school (she had to resign when she got too busy with college projects). The great thing about artists who homeschool is they have the time and freedom to explore their art. We actually pulled her out of school mid 5th grade mostly because she was too busy with homework/busywork to create her art. Best decision ever.
              Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
              DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
              DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
              DS, 21, chemistry major
              DS, 18, Physics major
              DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
              DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
              DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Originally posted by momgineer View Post
                YOu can visit her website at shaylynnann.com if you want to see some of her work. She has an email on her website and you should feel free to contact her if you want to ask her any advice for your daughter.
                Her work is beautiful! I saved her on Etsy so that I can order some pieces for my girls, the oldest of whom leaves me piles of drawings and creations everyday.
                HeatherRae
                Bookworm, Home business owner
                Ballet and scouting mom
                DD8, DD10, SS13, SS16

Comment

Thanks, Debbie! That helps a lot. I will share it with my daughter. She had been thinking of going to college for art before we really started talking about why to go to college and how to pick one. Your experience will be valuable to her!

AMDG,
                  Sarah
                  DS, 16
                  DD, 14
                  DD, 12
                  DD, 10
                  DD, 8
                  DD, 6
                  +DS+
                  DS, 2

Comment

Originally posted by heatherrae View Post
                    Her work is beautiful! I saved her on Etsy so that I can order some pieces for my girls, the oldest of whom leaves me piles of drawings and creations everyday.
                    Oh my goodness Debbie! Her website and work is just beautiful!! My 12 year old daughter has stars in her eyes. LOTR inspired? Oh...right up our alley. I love the charcaol sketch of Aragorn (detail) that won the contest.

My daughter takes art at a local studio twice a week and has a nature blog. She is inspired now. I am just so impressed.

Afterthought: my apologies...it is the sketch from The Hobbit I was speaking of...mea culpa...didn't read the fine print thoroughly! And I just found her sketches from the LOTR and Hobbit with the sayings <3.
                    Last edited by Benedictine15; 05-01-2016, 06:09 PM. Reason: Wrong title
                    PAX,
                    Theresa

ds -27-ICU Nurse

Comment

Howdy, everyone! It seems like every other post I respond to these days starts with, "Welcome!" So many new visitors to the forum and we are so glad your are here. If you don't already have one set up, please do help us get to know you better (as well as answer your questions in a more targeted fashion) by adding a signature that tells us a little more about you. The directions are in this thread if you'll scroll back just a bit.

Thank you for considering it and, truly, welcome! We are all so glad you've joined this community!
                      Festina lentē,
                      Jessica P

2020-2021
                      11th year HSing · 9th year MP
                      @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
                      11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Originally posted by Jen in Japan View Post
                        Ha, ha.. you guys make it seem like we can disaparate to the USA. Wouldn't THAT be nice!

Naww... the "stuff" takes 12 weeks by sea. We will probably leave here in late June so we can wrap up the graduating Senior's school year. Then begins a long tedious process of living in the parents' spare room(s) for many, many weeks, with lots of visiting of other relatives to spread out the pain (but usually floor sleeping). I tell you... moving is for the young.

Yes, DD accepted CUA just a few weeks ago. I am so thrilled for her! She wants to be part of the March for Life every year along with getting a good education. She had her choices down to 3 very substantial Catholic schools, but opted for CUA. We are psyched over here.

Thanks for the nice warm wishes! I may be sporadic with my posts over the remainder of the spring and summer. In the meantime, I shall consider my options for a new user name. I have been in Japan since 2005. *Maybe* a location-based user name isn't my best choice?!

Jen
                        YAY for CUA ---- she'll be right bedside the Cathedral ... swoooon.
                        Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Out of the nest, small business owner
                        DD2 - 14 - 9th grade Cottage School Diploma Program/MPOA
                        DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School
                        DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School
                        DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School
                        DS6 - 6 - MP K

Comment

I am just seeing this thread for the first time...I didn't even realize some people couldn't see signatures...
                          Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
                          DS -19 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, 2nd year in college
                          DS -15 (9/04) (SN) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin
                          DS -13 (7/06) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin

Comment

Just bumping this thread up to suggest - gasp - that since I am a half hour away from it officially being June (??!!??!!) it might be time to update signatures for next year. And yes, if you still have kids finishing, you can still update - we trust you. Plus, I am right there with you - teenage working daughter still has 2 weeks, next two kids have a bit more than that. But it is muggy as all get out here in VA so no one cares.

Happy June 1st! Countdown to box day is happening people....

AMDG,
                            Sarah
                            DS, 16
                            DD, 14
                            DD, 12
                            DD, 10
                            DD, 8
                            DD, 6
                            +DS+
                            DS, 2

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post

Dianna,

I am just seeing this... sorry!

YES SHE WILL!!! I am so psyched for her. She attended the March for Life in 10th grade and that really affected her. Ultimately, her final 3 choices came down to CUA, UDallas, and Marquette (all 3 are well respected Catholic universities). I think it was the idea of attending, hosting, and helping at the March which swayed her. She is a 100% social butterfly with a heart for service and the preborn.

Jen, who will miss Sodalitas because I will be flying over the Pacific in that very time frame.
                              DS, 26 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace), recently completed the design and execution of unhackable military software... in his spare time.

DS, 24 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 21 yrs, Senior in Education at The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC

DS, 12 yrs, currently attending a classical school which would give HLS a run for its money.

All homeschooled.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling. Ahhh....

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
                                and the Dominican House of Studies....double swoon.
                                Christina

Comment

Working...
                                X