Slightly OT -- Shakespeare for Children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slightly OT -- Shakespeare for Children

Can someone give me a 'general' idea of what plays are appropriate for what ages?

For example, Cincy Shakes is playing Julius Caesar. I think that would be fun for my 10 yr old, who's studying FMoR .... but I'm not familiar with it.

Thoughts?

And, shoot me some ideas for Shakespeare plays for the younger set. (8 through 10)
    Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
    DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
    DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
    DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
    DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
    DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

Re: Slightly OT -- Shakespeare for Children

Well, if you're talking books for that age level, we're huge fans of Bruce Coville's adaptations. Beautiful illustrations and much of the language is intact - they're just abridged. The books are out of print but can be found on Amazon, Alibris and Half Price books. I began reading them with my kids when my Bigs were 7 and 9 and they really enjoyed A Midsummer Night's Dream, Twelfth Night and Macbeth (the latter likely because it was in children's form - the former are comedies and funny likely no matter how they're presented).

They've also enjoyed hearing me read Charles and Mary Lamb's version of Merchant of Venice, Comedy of Errors and As You Like It.

I have this set of DVDs on my Amazon wishlist, as many people have highly recommended them: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0147788/ (I was warned a few times that Romeo and Juliet contains a "love scene" that is pretty, um, explicit - but that's not one we'd watch, anyway.)

As for seeing theatrical productions, I'm not entirely sure. I haven't tried watching/attending any with my kids yet.
    Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
    DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Working...
    X