Indiana or Michigan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indiana or Michigan?

I was wondering if anyone else lived near the Northern Indiana border? Kalamazoo, South Bend, St. Joe, Merrillville, etc?

My oldest (12-1/2) is desperate for the opportunity to work with other kids who are doing the same curriculum he is. We'll be doing full cores next year and he would love to be able to know that he's not the only one working with MP.. He doesn't like online learning so MPOA doesn't look like it would be a good fit for him.

I also have an 11, 9, 7, 5, 4 and 15 month old. There's only one other MP family (some of our closest friends actually) in our group but they're not able to do any joint work right now.
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
    DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
    DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
    DS11: SC 4
    DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
    DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
    DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Re: Indiana or Michigan?

Jennifer...

I am sorry I am no where near you .

I wish there was a better way for MP'ers to connect location-wise. The *find homeschoolers in your area* on the main MP page (lower right corner) is pretty outdated. Not many recent posts on there at all. I have given a shout out a couple of times...probably to the point of becoming a nuisance LOL! No luck yet.
    PAX,
    Theresa

ds -27-ICU Nurse
    ds -24-Grad school: DeSales U. Physician's Assistant Program
    dd -21-Working and taking online courses for vet tech
    dd -12-7M along with some MPOA classes

"I am a product of long corridors, empty sunlit rooms, upstairs indoor silences, attics explored in solitude, distant noises of gurgling cisterns and pipes, and the noise of wind under the tiles. Also, of endless books." -C.S. Lewis

Comment

My first thought when I saw this was, "NEITHER!!!"

I am an orange-loving Illini, and thought you were asking for loyalties!

Sorry to not be closer though.
      AMDG,
      Sarah
      2020-2021
      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
      DS, 16
      DD, 14
      DD, 12
      DD, 10
      DD, 8
      DD, 6
      +DS+
      DS, 2

Comment

Does it help at all that I was born in Michigan (Grand Rapids) and grew up in Indiana (started in Huntington, then Ft. Wayne, then just north of Indianapolis)? Then I moved to the east coast...and then wound up in Texas. *LOL*

It is really hard to connect. I am driving through TN/KY/IN/OH/PA next month and we are working to meet with an MP family in OH whose children are my oldest kids' pen pals. That's about the best I can do for right now. I, too, wish there were kids nearby who spoke the same educational language as my kids and I find it really difficult to get together with other families because, as with ANY family, the stars really need to align for everyone to get on. Then again, I think it might be okay to only have an occasional meet up with a nice family. I keep thinking that up until just a few generations ago, there wasn't much of a "playdate" culture...right? (Chime in and say yes so that I feel better about myself and my hermit ways!)
        Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
        DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
        DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
          Does it help at all that I was born in Michigan (Grand Rapids) and grew up in Indiana (started in Huntington, then Ft. Wayne, then just north of Indianapolis)? Then I moved to the east coast...and then wound up in Texas. *LOL*

It is really hard to connect. I am driving through TN/KY/IN/OH/PA next month and we are working to meet with an MP family in OH whose children are my oldest kids' pen pals. That's about the best I can do for right now. I, too, wish there were kids nearby who spoke the same educational language as my kids and I find it really difficult to get together with other families because, as with ANY family, the stars really need to align for everyone to get on. Then again, I think it might be okay to only have an occasional meet up with a nice family. I keep thinking that up until just a few generations ago, there wasn't much of a "playdate" culture...right? (Chime in and say yes so that I feel better about myself and my hermit ways!)
          From one hermit to another...

I do think you are right Mary. Even when my kids in their 20's were growing up, every one was just outside playing all the time. Although we still live within city limits. I think today, more families tend to move out to the suburbs or somewhere more rural (I wish) and the necessity of scheduling play dates is more common. We do have the occasional meet up with a nice family and that is good...for now.

So, I will be completely nosy and ask, if I may, what part of PA are you driving through?

@Jen...sorry to intervene. I hope you find SOMEONE!
          PAX,
          Theresa

ds -27-ICU Nurse

"I am a product of long corridors, empty sunlit rooms, upstairs indoor silences, attics explored in solitude, distant noises of gurgling cisterns and pipes, and the noise of wind under the tiles. Also, of endless books." -C.S. Lewis

Comment

I am driving through TN/KY/IN/OH/PA next month...
            What! Mary, any chance you are swinging through (or near) Nashville? I will drive to meet you all!

Jennifer,
            Sorry not to have any leads for you. I do have one MI MP friend, but she just moved away from your area! Boo.
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

2020-2021
            11th year HSing · 9th year MP
            @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
            11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Originally posted by Benedictine15 View Post
              Even when my kids in their 20's were growing up, every one was just outside playing all the time.
              We live in a neighborhood full of kids...and I never see any of them outside. Ever. Where we are, kids get involved in team sports from a really young age. I've never seen a sports culture like I have down here (or maybe I just missed it while we were out east?). Starting at 3 or 4, soccer, baseball, basketball and hockey start taking over parents' lives. Then, around 6 or 7, football begins to creep in. I'm not at all against organized sports; however, I was appalled at the practice/game schedules even for the little ones. There is very little unstructured play time outdoors or otherwise.

So, I will be completely nosy and ask, if I may, what part of PA are you driving through?
              We're going through Pittsburgh to Ligonier (Laurel Mountains).

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
              What! Mary, any chance you are swinging through (or near) Nashville? I will drive to meet you all!
              YES! We'll be driving right through Nashville! However, I'd have to see you on the back end of our trip because I'm headed to a convention in Louisville on the way up. I'm kind of in charge of my group, so I'm on a tight schedule. My kids were pestering me about visiting Phillips Toy Mart while we're there - we went last year and my daughter just stood with a gaping mouth in front of the wall of Madame Alexander dolls.

To Jen - I'm really sorry I can't be of more help. Again, I wish I had the luxury, as I'm sure many of us do, of being closer to MP families. Perhaps if we keep posting here about trips and visits to other places, we can slowly begin to meet up outside of Sodalitas. You know, my kids only see their cousins once or twice a year but they do keep up relationships through letters. Perhaps our MP kids can do the same!
              Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
              DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
              DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

YES! We'll be driving right through Nashville! However, I'd have to see you on the back end of our trip because I'm headed to a convention in Louisville on the way up. I'm kind of in charge of my group, so I'm on a tight schedule. My kids were pestering me about visiting Phillips Toy Mart while we're there - we went last year and my daughter just stood with a gaping mouth in front of the wall of Madame Alexander dolls.
                Just let me know when! I will drive to Phillips Toy Mart to see you. And, unfortunately, no, I am not related to those Phillips.
                Festina lentē,
                Jessica P

2020-2021
                11th year HSing · 9th year MP
                @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
                11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

"We live in a neighborhood full of kids...and I never see any of them outside. Ever. Where we are, kids get involved in team sports from a really young age. I've never seen a sports culture like I have down here (or maybe I just missed it while we were out east?). Starting at 3 or 4, soccer, baseball, basketball and hockey start taking over parents' lives. Then, around 6 or 7, football begins to creep in. I'm not at all against organized sports; however, I was appalled at the practice/game schedules even for the little ones. There is very little unstructured play time outdoors or otherwise.

We're going through Pittsburgh to Ligonier (Laurel Mountains). "

Mary,

I am on the East and sports are just as much an obsession here! Sports have completely taken over *Sabbath* time! Add the age of technology to that and it's no wonder kids are hardly accessible for good ole play time.

Okay...Pittsburgh is like 6 hours from me. Oh well *winks*.

My daughter is open to letters. To anyone interested, let me know and I can share interests if that helps.
                  Last edited by Benedictine15; 04-09-2016, 06:10 PM. Reason: Messed up quote?
                  PAX,
                  Theresa

ds -27-ICU Nurse

Comment

Jennifer...

I am sorry I am no where near you .

I wish there was a better way for MP'ers to connect location-wise. The *find homeschoolers in your area* on the main MP page (lower right corner) is pretty outdated. Not many recent posts on there at all. I have given a shout out a couple of times...probably to the point of becoming a nuisance LOL! No luck yet.
                    I can't promise anything anytime soon but it is a need we recognize and hope to find a solution for.

Paul
                    Paul Schaeffer
                    --
                    Academy Director
                    Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

We're going through Pittsburgh to Ligonier (Laurel Mountains).
                      Oh Mary, I know exactly where you are going and wish we could go 😔
                      Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
                      DS -19 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, in college
                      DS -15 (9/04) (SN) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin
                      DS -14 (7/06) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin

Comment

To the original poster...we live in metro Detroit, but my husband's family lives in Benton harbor. We are over several times during the summer and would love to meet up. Not exactly what you hoped for, sorry. My kids are 13, 10, 8, and 2 (for another week).

Dorinda
                        Dorinda

For 2020-2021
                        DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History
                        DS 15-9th with Lukeion(Latin 1 and Greek 1), Vita Beata (9th Literature)
                        DS 12-7th with Right Start Level H online class, Vita Beata (6th Literature)
                        DS 6 - 2nd blazing our own trail with Right Start D and a mix of MP materials

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                          To the original poster...we live in metro Detroit, but my husband's family lives in Benton harbor. We are over several times during the summer and would love to meet up. Not exactly what you hoped for, sorry. My kids are 13, 10, 8, and 2 (for another week).

Dorinda
                          We live in Michigan City!! While I was reading your post to my husband, my oldest overheard and his face absolutely lit up -- we would love to try and meet up sometime. I can be reached via PM if you'd like to know more about our family before meeting strangers
                          Jennifer
                          Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
                          DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
                          DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
                          DS11: SC 4
                          DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
                          DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
                          DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

Working...
                          X