Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IEW all things fun and fascinating

Hi ladies,
    I have been listening to/watching the videos from last year's Sodalitas retreat and am kind of kicking myself that I didn't go ahead and put my rising 3rd grader in a full MP core. Alas, I went with Beautiful Feet books - early American history. But I am really starting to "catch" the MP fever. Those lectures are helping me to see how it all works. So......I am already using the Latin, but I feel like I should go ahead and start with the IEW recommendation to get her prepped for the 4th grade core the following year when she will start CC. Can you tell me what all I will need? Do I order through MP or IEW? And will I need the big teacher training dvd's? And lastly, on the videos - I think Tanya - said that the jury was still out on whether this IEW program works well for CC prep and if it will be well received. Has everyone liked using this?
    Thanks,
    Poppy

Re: IEW all things fun and fascinating

Hi, Poppy.

I feel like we are continuing a conversation! It was much nicer to talk in person in Cincy, but this will have to do for now!

Our teachers think that ATFF has definitely prepared students for Fable in a way they haven't been prepared before, but the true test will be next year's teachers teaching them. Will those teachers be able to tell a difference? We are going to edit the lesson plans this summer though because the teachers (and many homeschoolers) thought it was too difficult by the middle of the book when it got to more than key word outlining. Maybe I'll have those plans by the time you get there. It's the first project I have for a summer teacher. Everyone seemed to hit a wall when they got to the middle of the book. We feel like we can fix that! Our teachers know what they want to do, and they are practicing on their guinea pig students right now!

It doesn't matter if you buy from MP or IEW. The price is the same. And you don't need the teaching DVDs. ATFF comes with a DVD of Andrew speaking about writing that is around 1 and 1/2 hrs. long. So you'll have that. Actually, I'm not sure if that is just something they did for MP or if it comes in their package too. You might want to check.

Tanya

Comment

Thanks Tanya!
      So would your suggestion be to wait until the end of the summer to make the purchase and see if the revised lesson plan is finished?
      -Poppy

Comment

I just wanted to chime in as we are using ATFF this year, our first MP year! I viewed webinars on the IEW website before starting each unit and found this to be very helpful. We just started Unit 5, Writing from Pictures, and after watching Andrew model a lesson I found the task much less intimidating. http://iew.com/events-classes/webinars/webinar-archive

Best,
        Natalie
        Natalie

DD, age 13: CC 7M, with a few swaps
        DD, age 10: CC 5M
        Third year using full MP CC, Forth year homeschooling

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie0411 View Post
          I just wanted to chime in as we are using ATFF this year, our first MP year! I viewed webinars on the IEW website before starting each unit and found this to be very helpful. We just started Unit 5, Writing from Pictures, and after watching Andrew model a lesson I found the task much less intimidating. http://iew.com/events-classes/webinars/webinar-archive

Best,
          Natalie

Thanks Natalie.
          So did you end up buying Teaching Writing with Structure and Style or did you feel like these webinars were plenty?

Comment

Originally posted by 3girls4me View Post
            Hi ladies,
            I have been listening to/watching the videos from last year's Sodalitas retreat and am kind of kicking myself that I didn't go ahead and put my rising 3rd grader in a full MP core. Alas, I went with Beautiful Feet books - early American history. But I am really starting to "catch" the MP fever. Those lectures are helping me to see how it all works. So......I am already using the Latin, but I feel like I should go ahead and start with the IEW recommendation to get her prepped for the 4th grade core the following year when she will start CC. Can you tell me what all I will need? Do I order through MP or IEW? And will I need the big teacher training dvd's? And lastly, on the videos - I think Tanya - said that the jury was still out on whether this IEW program works well for CC prep and if it will be well received. Has everyone liked using this?
            Thanks,
            Poppy
            A few things! Hooray for MP fever. We strongly encourage MP fever.

Have you looked at the Fourth Grade for New Users package? It would be a place for you to start in an entire core right from the start. Just a thought.

As for composition I don't know what you plans are for next year in relation to our cottage school, but we are going to offer IEW ATF&F for third graders and then Fable for all kids 4th and up. If you are planning to join us, your kids can take it there and that'll solve all your questions about helpful DVDs. Ha!

ETA: Also! Andrew Pudewa will be at Sodalitas Gathering and the Teacher Training this summer in Louisville. If you come to that, you can take an entire pre-conference session with Andrew. www.sodalitasgathering.com
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

2020-2021
            11th year HSing · 9th year MP
            @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
            11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
              A few things! Hooray for MP fever. We strongly encourage MP fever.

Have you looked at the Fourth Grade for New Users package? It would be a place for you to start in an entire core right from the start. Just a thought.

As for composition I don't know what you plans are for next year in relation to our cottage school, but we are going to offer IEW ATF&F for third graders and then Fable for all kids 4th and up. If you are planning to join us, your kids can take it there and that'll solve all your questions about helpful DVDs. Ha!

ETA: Also! Andrew Pudewa will be at Sodalitas Gathering and the Teacher Training this summer in Louisville. If you come to that, you can take an entire pre-conference session with Andrew. www.sodalitasgathering.com

Hey Jessica,
              I have definitely looked into the 4th grade for new users. That's what I anticipate using the following year since I'm not starting in 3rd grade for her.
              I'm still thinking on the cottage school. We truly love our co-op/tutorial that we are a part of, so it's hard to imagine dropping that. I think it's "possible" to still do that and maybe take a class or two with you guys and see ultimately what we feel like fits us best, but I'm not sure if that will be this coming year. Likely the next.
              Oh, the decisions............
              -Poppy

Comment

Poppy,

I did not purchase the TWSS as I knew this would be our only year with IEW. I plan to have my 3rd grader begin CC Fables next year. I had some knowledge of IEW prior but had never used it with my girls before. My daughter does tend to be a natural writer so she was a dream to work. (Other subjects not so much!) She also enjoyed reading the Magnus Opus Magazine (by IEW) for examples/inspiration.

Best,
                Natalie
                Natalie

DD, age 13: CC 7M, with a few swaps
                DD, age 10: CC 5M
                Third year using full MP CC, Forth year homeschooling

Comment

Chiming in with a question of whether to do preconference cursive or Andrew's IEW talk. Deciding is hard because it seems the jury is out on IEW vs. CC.
                  Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
                  DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
                  DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
                  Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
                  Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Poppy,

You can order any time. We'll send you the new writing plans when we have them. We always want you to have the latest updates, so we'll replace your plans any time. Just send an email to sales@memoriapress.com whenever you need updates. Check with us at the end of June to see if we have the ATFF plans ready.

Tanya

Comment

Colomama,

I don't feel we are going to give up on IEW at all. Our teachers really like what they have done with the students this year, but we just need to modify it. When I asked our teachers if they wanted to go back to Intro. to Comp, they did not. They just want to modify the program so that it fits better with the capabilities of 3rd graders.

Tanya

Comment

Working...
                      X